BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Nothing beats Lufthansa 2 for 1 deal. Less than $650 per person for my flight in September at the start of the Oktoberfest. Plus I don't have to pay for the tickets until August. No compare!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
directcj said:
For you folks planning an ED trip and trying to determine when to go with airfare prices in mind, interesting site that gives you historical airfare prices and more.

http://www.farecompare.com/
Awesome tool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
mason said:
Nothing beats Lufthansa 2 for 1 deal. Less than $650 per person for my flight in September at the start of the Oktoberfest. Plus I don't have to pay for the tickets until August. No compare!
but i have flown round trip over the atlantic for less than $600 a few times...

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
671 Posts
mason said:
I did even better. $0 for 2 business class seats using FF miles. :rofl:

And the 2 for 1 deal is not too useful if traveling by yourself. And $650 per person isn't that difficult to get unless you are flying peak summer season (June-August). I would also be loathe to give up the frequent flyer miles on the second ticket.

But you don't need a pricing engine to know historical fares, it's pretty simple:

Low season (Nov-March): Expect to pay $500-700 per person (range reflect difference as you go from east to west coast for departure).

High season (June-Aug): $1000+ per person unless you catch an early or late sale.

Shoulder season (everything else): $700-900 per person.

All that being said, I would say that is an excellent deal for Oktoberfest. :thumbup: But others can definitely do much better if traveling in winter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As always, nothing can beat using FF miles to get your tix. However, keep in mind not everyone here have enough FF miles for coach let alone biz or 1st class. If you got enough FF miles, the best deal in order is: biz/1st, upgrade, coach. Unfortunately I dont think the Lufthansa 2 for 1 deal allows you to upgrade using FF miles.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the price your are quoted for the Lufthansa 2 for 1 deal is not guaranteed until you actually pay for it. They will however at least hold the seats for you. For my 1 ED trip (back in '05), my ticket price went up <$30 compared to when I first booked it. When I asked why the price went up, I was told that the price may change and is not guaranteed until you actually pay for it. The good thing about it is you can at least reserve and shop around some more to see if you can get a better deal

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just miss Oktoberfest, thats all.

Maybe.......:bigpimp:
Spent the $$ on appreciating assets. If said asset appreciates properly and offsets the depreciation on as you say my POS 5, I just might take another Euro vacation.

BTW, did ya get your M6 yet?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Late September early October (read: Oktoberfest!) airfares on American from the Left Coast are running $707 plus tax right now. They might go down a little more in the next few weeks. (And yes, I'm going to Oktoberfest.....going to be hard to NOT pick up another car)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just puchased 2 tickets thru expedia.com for Octorber travel for $589 each. Interestingly I will be flying with Lufthansa. Lufthansa 2-4-1 was about $1700 for both because BMW publishes fare once a year. But if you go to Lufthansa website, it is around $777 pp.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Boraxo said:
I did even better. $0 for 2 business class seats using FF miles. :rofl:

And the 2 for 1 deal is not too useful if traveling by yourself. And $650 per person isn't that difficult to get unless you are flying peak summer season (June-August). I would also be loathe to give up the frequent flyer miles on the second ticket.

But you don't need a pricing engine to know historical fares, it's pretty simple:

Low season (Nov-March): Expect to pay $500-700 per person (range reflect difference as you go from east to west coast for departure).

High season (June-Aug): $1000+ per person unless you catch an early or late sale.

Shoulder season (everything else): $700-900 per person.

All that being said, I would say that is an excellent deal for Oktoberfest. :thumbup: But others can definitely do much better if traveling in winter.
I will say that I am picky on picking the flight. I must depart on Wednesday and return on Tuesday (personal schedule). I only want direct flight. I have done quite a few international flights with stops this year. I like for a change. With that said, it eliminates a lot of cheap flights for me. I had started looking at the fare since early June. It kept inching up everyday. I sensed there was no point to wait any further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts