BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1997 528i just hit 200k+ miles and I think this car just broke in! Drives amazing and on my way to work I had a smile on my face - so smooth, solid and quiet! I have to honestly say that even though it's underpowered, I enjoy driving it more than my E92 335i and X5 4.4!

Long live the E39, keeping you forever!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
congrats!

I agree, I loved driving it even after I bought the 550i. It's feels lightweight, still solid with enough power to have fun! :thumbup:
Too bad I had to sell it.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
2003 model 525 Touring wagon, 340,000 miles and I still have smiles. Yep !
You are my idol!

I too love my car. Not because it's a BMW and I get a taste of driving a (once) rich peoples car but because it just drives so smooth and handles so well. Besides my car is cosmetically a piece of **** so it just emphasizes the poor man wannabe rich boy image lol.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
On my second engine and transmission, , and dreaming of making another switch out, to a 530 engine. All of the suspension has been made over using heavy duty parts , with heavy rear sway bar and bilstiens all around. Drives great and I still have to watch my speed on the interstates and 4 lane roads. She, likes to cruise around 80. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My 11/96 auto still loves to go w/ 255K on her. Replaced the tranny a year ago. Still impressed w/ how she effortlessly moves at, and above, the speed limit. We also have a 2006 and 2014 (not BMWs) in the driveway. The 97 is the smoothest of all 3.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On my second engine and transmission, , and dreaming of making another switch out, to a 530 engine. All of the suspension has been made over using heavy duty parts , with heavy rear sway bar and bilstiens all around. Drives great and I still have to watch my speed on the interstates and 4 lane roads. She, likes to cruise around 80. Thanks for the kind words.
340k miles! That will be at least 10 years before I hit that! Congrats! I'm on my original engine but second trans. I too did a complete suspension overhaul with koni sports adjustables. I'm planning to update the front and rear sway bars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 64 years old and I have owned my first BMW (540i) 3 days. I feel like I have missed out my entire life. This car is nothing like I've driven all my life (American cars). I'm looking forward to many more years and miles to enjoy it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am 64 years old and I have owned my first BMW (540i) 3 days. I feel like I have missed out my entire life. This car is nothing like I've driven all my life (American cars). I'm looking forward to many more years and miles to enjoy it.
A very interesting and powerful perspective. If I were a BMW marketing exec, I would borrow your statement (as is) in my adverts!

Congrats and welcome aboard, sir! It's never too late :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great stuff.

My 530i puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our 12/96 build 528i will be 20 years old soon and it still is the best driving car owned over 55 years of driving . Also has the best OEM sound system ... It is our forever car. I am keeping this one 100% original .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our 12/96 build 528i will be 20 years old soon and it still is the best driving car owned over 55 years of driving . Also has the best OEM sound system ... It is our forever car. I am keeping this one 100% original .
Lol wellllll this is where I might have upset you. I have a 2JZGTE/R154 and 10 speaker infinity tweeter/woofer setup and 2 JL subwoofers. :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Completely agree!! Smoothest car I have ever driven. Driving this car is like swimming in chocolate pudding! Of course, another dependable 100hp would be wonderful. :)

Jim

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don't even get me started on how much I LOVE this car. Couldn't agree more. Been driving well over 50 years and have never had such a solid, well-behaved car. Bought my 1998 in 2003 and mile for mile has been a very economical car to maintain. 243,000 on the clock and still the original complete drive train. Just replaced the front wheel bearings at 240,000, but was not necessary. Old ones were just as quiet as the new ones.

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
Funny how that works isn't it? :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Have a hate/love relationship to my car. Got it for free so I shouldnt complain but there is always something.
16 miles per gallon (15l/100km) doesnt suit me, The car hasnt been so well taken care off, they installed a switch on the dash to operate the long beam as the right one was always on, have to see if I can fix that, the trans doesnt like going in 1st gear, then it wont switch up in another gear, switching to Steptronic and back fixes that though.
The car is very quiet but I have an annoying sound just to the left in my drivers seat, cant find where its coming from, maybe the door, window frame or something else, changed the doorseal which was in pieces but it didnt help.
I find the car very well put together, its solid and heavy but pretty fast when it need to be, the technical data is also impressive when it comes to performance.
I see some american cars here sometimes and I cant help wonder why on earth the americans always compete in having the largest front grille, its just plain silly.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Too many Americans subscribe to the "Go big or go home complex". At least a handful of our cars are finally showing some decent overall design characteristics, but in general the European cars remain classy compared to most U.S. stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts