BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While we were stopped at an intersection stoplight (gf driving), a decrepit old van did a wide turn and scraped my front bumper. Also cracked the side reflector. I got out, and he took off and we stopped chasing him when he turned the wrong way into a one way street. We do have his license plate. The police just gave us a form to fill out. They didn't seem interested in going after him at all. I will fill out the form and see what happens.

Question: Is this worth reporting to insurance? I believe the damage (600?) will be below my deductible (1000). I have as low a rate as possible in this high-insurance state. If I report it and if the insurance co successfully goes after this guy, I may get the deductible back. Then again I might not. If he doesn't pay or if he doesn't have insurance (given the state of his van) it comes back to the underinsured clause of my policy and I pay the deductible again. In any case, this makes a claim/accident history, while currently I have no accidents on my insurance history. When I shop again, could I possibly get higher rates even though we weren't at fault? Worried that impact on future rate might even be higher than the repair cost. On the other hand, I do think he ought to pay.

So much for going for a pleasant little drive on a sunny Sunday...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The thing is you shouldn't fear insurance. You paid for it to take care of this stuff, so don't fear going to them to handle your claims.

·
Registered
43 Posts
not your fault - report it

You filed a police report, got the guys plate number. Your insurance company can look up to see if the guy has insurance. If he does, report it to HIS insurance company.

It's below your deductable, so don't bother reporting it to yours for a claim.

Also, if he does have insurance, make sure they pay for the best repair place in town and a rental car while yours is in the shop.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My old car was was rear ended by an un-insured driver and I just let my insurance company
handle it. That's what I pay them for. Once the insurance co complete its investigation,
and it comes back that the van didn't have insurance, you'll be covered by your insurance
co. under the "un-insured driver" portion of your policy. The deductible will be waived.
If the van did have insurance, let your insurance co. pay for the repairs first. Your insurance
co. will then deal with the other party's insurance and you won't have to deal with the headaches.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
Leaving the scene of an accident *is a crime* in every state that I`m aware of....your insurance co. (and the local police) has an obligation to pursue this matter. Don`t sweat it....you won`t be penalized for this. Can you positively ID any of the van`s occupants?

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm not an insurance agent, nor a lawyer, but I've learned a little about this stuff. Please feel free to verify, but here's my understanding: In most states, hit and run cases are paid out of the uninsured motorists pool. In those cases, your insurance company is reimbursed by that pool, so they're not paying our of pocket to pay you. So your rates do not go up, and it doesn't count against you, so-to-speak. Like I said, check it out for yourself for your insurance company and your state.
-Jim

·
Registered
766 Posts
The police were too busy writing speeding tickets to help you...

My insurance company maintained when I recently was in a hit-and-run situation, that they'd pay _and_ it wouldn't be held against me. Maybe that's not the case, but that's what they said. If that's the deal with yours and you aren't paying the deductible, might as well let them do the work.

One thing you can do is to follow up regularly with the officer handling your complaint, get them to ID the owner of the vehicle, get a copy of the police report when it's completed, then file a claim in small claims court. Following up with the officer is key, because in my 3 experiences of being hit by low-life (including two where I either had the person there or had a plate, make, model and description of the driver), the police (from 3 different forces) could care less and did the absolute minimum they could get away with doing. After all, you're asking them to do a bunch of paperwork when they could be chasing speeders or parked up at the dougnut shop.

Make sure to include costs and expenses in your claim, as well as the loss in value of the vehicle as a result of the repair. If you're lucky, the owner won't bother to turn up and you get to make their life miserable by hounding them for every last cent...

equ said:
While we were stopped at an intersection stoplight (gf driving), a decrepit old van did a wide turn and scraped my front bumper. Also cracked the side reflector. I got out, and he took off and we stopped chasing him when he turned the wrong way into a one way street. We do have his license plate. The police just gave us a form to fill out. They didn't seem interested in going after him at all. I will fill out the form and see what happens.

Question: Is this worth reporting to insurance? I believe the damage (600?) will be below my deductible (1000). I have as low a rate as possible in this high-insurance state. If I report it and if the insurance co successfully goes after this guy, I may get the deductible back. Then again I might not. If he doesn't pay or if he doesn't have insurance (given the state of his van) it comes back to the underinsured clause of my policy and I pay the deductible again. In any case, this makes a claim/accident history, while currently I have no accidents on my insurance history. When I shop again, could I possibly get higher rates even though we weren't at fault? Worried that impact on future rate might even be higher than the repair cost. On the other hand, I do think he ought to pay.

So much for going for a pleasant little drive on a sunny Sunday...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone. I just went to the good body shop that I know and the guy said 5-600$. He also said that most likely the insurance company will not go after this guy as it doesn't exceed my deductible. They have no incentive to nail him. All I have from the police is an accident report form to be sent to Trenton. It's likely going to go to a paper pile. It's an out-of-state license plate, who's going to chase that down?

I called the insurance company. The claims guy couldn't tell me if they would go after him or not. I have a call in to my sales agent and see what she thinks.

I think I'm more pissed at this system that doesn't work (lazy puffing cops who won't even run a license plate number, evil insurance companies) than the idiot who hit me. I might as well be in a third world country where you better watch your a$$ very carefully because there's no accountability.

·
Registered
766 Posts
They will more than likely track the plate down if you politely but firmly insist that they do so. Call Trenton and find out who is dealing with it. If necessary, perhaps a quick trip to your local station to put the report in the hands of a specific officer. Then, politely but firmly call the officer in question every week until the job gets done. If you can get that plate run, a small claims action isn't financially onerous or too time consuming.

Having been there multiple times, I definitely feel your pain, but aside from the premium they're probably charging you (this being Joisey), the insurer just has no rational incentive to spend thousands chasing what is probably an uninsured deadbeat, even if they were paying every cent of your claim themselves. If they were going to take him to court, at the very least the car would have to be totalled, and more likely it would require serious injury and the resulting common or garden $1,000,000 PI claim.

On the police, I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I was living in Scotland, I once had the police call me to say they were going to officially "drop" a report I'd filed after someone vanadalized one of my bikes, because _I_ had not been investigating the incident further. If I had known getting a job there was so easy, I would have been down the station like a shot to to collect my badge, ASP, pension and free Vauxhall Astra. :rolleyes:

equ said:
Thanks, everyone. I just went to the good body shop that I know and the guy said 5-600$. He also said that most likely the insurance company will not go after this guy as it doesn't exceed my deductible. They have no incentive to nail him. All I have from the police is an accident report form to be sent to Trenton. It's likely going to go to a paper pile. It's an out-of-state license plate, who's going to chase that down?

I called the insurance company. The claims guy couldn't tell me if they would go after him or not. I have a call in to my sales agent and see what she thinks.

I think I'm more pissed at this system that doesn't work (lazy puffing cops who won't even run a license plate number, evil insurance companies) than the idiot who hit me. I might as well be in a third world country where you better watch your a$$ very carefully because there's no accountability.

·
I'm the Moving Chicane
46 Posts
You might not agree, don't flame me.

I had a few small accidents before. I learned to keep my temper and drive like a good dude. Even I'm are not the stupid one causing an accident, as long as my car is moving when shxt happens, it is difficult to find a witness stand on your side completely. Police report will not lean to either side in case of minor accidents/fender benders

The very last one I had was interesting. A cab lost control at a right turn, hit a Murano SUV parking on the left of the road, push that thing half way on the sidewalk. My car parked right in front of the SUV. The right front corner of the SUV hit the left rear corner of my car. (no no no, I didnt' mix left and right)

Anyway, both the SUV and my car were not moving. We got no fault at all. Police report didnt' even list drivers. So, as long as you think you can prove that you were not moving, you got an upper hand.

Then, since that guy is an axx. He could been a low life driving everyday without a license or insurance. I would go get him... huh.. I mean I would have the insurance get him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts