Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know its off the BMW topic but speaking of trees, they are the reason I bought a Beamer. Ill let the pictures speak for themselves but can someone tell me how to attach them? How do i know the url?
Been waiting for this comment so I didn't have to say it
Ok you guys can go to my page and youll see it in the album... I got two big big trees and and bunch of planted smaller ones

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You are a sick bunch of people. I did not know this was the Bimmer/Botanical Forum. I will find the pictures of the tree/crushed bimmer. But again, the tree is not the problem, it is not cut and split waiting to be burned in my wood stove next year. The problem is the car not starting.

I will be checking for spark today at some point, I hope. I will also dig out the DME and see what it looks like in it's compartment. And also checking for fuel pressure in the rail.

I was also going to pull all the plugs and put a little oil down each cylinder. To lubricate them. I would not imagine it is getting any oil to the top of the motor.

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
You will have a much harder time getting it to start with oil in the cylinder, I wouldn't do that :nono:

There will be oil pressure if the motor is cranking. The oil pump is mechanical and is driven off of the crank with a chain.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
assuming there's compression. you need 3 things to run, Fuel, Air, and Spark. You've gotta rule each one out. It's obviously more difficult than it sounds, but a lot of times you can solve your problem by finding something really simple, like an un plugged sensor.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wait are you also SaltonS?
Nope

You are a sick bunch of people. I did not know this was the Bimmer/Botanical Forum. I will find the pictures of the tree/crushed bimmer. But again, the tree is not the problem, it is not cut and split waiting to be burned in my wood stove next year. The problem is the car not starting.

I will be checking for spark today at some point, I hope. I will also dig out the DME and see what it looks like in it's compartment. And also checking for fuel pressure in the rail.

I was also going to pull all the plugs and put a little oil down each cylinder. To lubricate them. I would not imagine it is getting any oil to the top of the motor.
Sorry bro just wanted to show u how much I HATE trees.
I'm no expert on your subject but I will be paying attention to your results.
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Haven't done anything with the car, being it was New Years Eve and everything. But I have found pictures. Just have to figure out how to post them.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Aww man!

That was such a pretty tree :(

:p

Hope she gets sorted. It is 100% certain the tree was on your property wholly? If a neighbours, then their house insurance has to bear at least some (if not all) responsibility.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I have fuel at the fuel rail. Check.

I have air. Check.

I do not have Spark. Could this be a problem with the key switch? When I first started playing with the car again, the key ignition switch was acting very funny. It seems to be working correctly now, but if the ignition switch is not opening, then there will not be spark.

Where is the fuse for the ignition?

Before the tree, I already had the problem with the key, when you put the key in the ignition and it just spins around a couple of times before it catches and allows you to start the car. I remember seeing a post for the Pelican site where it tells you how to disassemble the key ignition and replace a ball bearing that stops the problem. Does anybody remember that post?

·
Fast Cars Suck!
7,726 Posts
I had to buy a new ingnition switch from the stealer when my car started going that.

but what i did in the interm was to drop the plastic cover under the seeering columb and look at the back of the ignition switch,

now there should be a plastic piece that the ignition switch spins to start the car, IIRC you can pop it off with two tiny screrws removed. then use your key in this rather than ignition hole, i drove my car like this for quite some time.

***If you have locking steering columb (i did not) DO NOT FORGET TO UNLOCK IT BEFORE SETTING OFF. :rofl: ***

disclaimer, i not responsible if this doesnt work and you break something :p

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
I'm glad I came back to read this thread. Good stuff here.

Damn trees!

Good luck with your spark.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So the saga ended today! Did not take my father advice and instead went straight for the DME. Removed it and disconnected the wires. Pins were clean as the day the car came off the assemble line! Not the problem.

Then I took my fathers advice. The ignition switch! Sprayed a little contact cleaner and contact enhancer on the ignition switch and presto! Spark and the car started no problems. Just gassed it up and it is running beautifully.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,121 Posts
Moral of story: listen to dad. :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
As long as you keep that on this site, I agree. But if you go and tell HIM that, then I will have to play politician and DENY, DENY AND DENY!!!!!!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts