BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I hit road debris which bent a rim and punctured my passenger side tire. The wheel repair shop I went to provided me a full size tire and wheel as a rental while they repaired my rim. While driving 45+ mph, I noticed a humming sound coming from the "front" that was obnoxious and not there ever before, but I figured it was perhaps related to the rental tire provided to me.

Fast forward to now--the wheel is fixed, mounted on a new tire, and even rotated to the opposite side, but I hear the same type of loud humming noises the faster I drive. Its like the repaired wheel/new tire had nothing to do with the noise in the first place.

One indy I went to suggested I replace that wheel's bearings, which I did, but the noise is still there--no reduction in noise.

Any other thoughts? Frankly the noise appears to be coming from the driver side.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,279 Posts
"wheel repair"? How bad was the damage? Wheel repair is quite tricky, and many hack shops will make repairs that far exceed safe practices....just FYI. Dont assume because they DO wheel repairs that they SHOULD.

Have you checked the alignment? Post the resulting numbers. IF YOU HAVE NOT, what kind of shops are you using?!?!? Its the first thing you do after a traumatic tire/wheel impact....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The wheel slightly curled in one corner, and I took it to a reputable shop in town, so Im fairly confident of that. Further, this noise that I'm hearing came about before the fixed wheel was back on the truck. Now, I have NOT taken the car to realigned so I'm sure its off--I just figured to replace any parts first before getting it aligned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does it sound like "Please stopppp Im trappped under your carrrr" or more of just and out & out scream?
(Ill show myself out)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,279 Posts
You spent what $600 on a wheel bearing...but you cant spend $100 on an alignment? If it is very toed in or out you may be hearing the tire scrub.

Set the toe to 0.02 in on each wheel, camber and caster to mid BMW spec, BALANCED side to side

DO NOT just say "align it"... use specific recommendations. Like mine.

If the car cannot be aligned, you know you have some damage thrust arm, control arm (lower?) etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I was planning on doing the alignment, but like I said, wanted to replace any parts first (including wheel bearings).

Yup--will set the toe as such. I've done this before.

Thanks for the 2 cents.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,279 Posts
Report back- solved or not. Will help others if it was the alignment....

GL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts