BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I hit my bimmer this Saturday night in the snow. It went sideways and kind of stopped in the curb. Probably doing about 50 km/h. Now you can definitely see that both of them are off. The 4x4 sign on the dash is also lit. The steering is off but I managed to take it back home with no tow track

Do you have any idea how serious the accident is - meaning is there are lot of work on the car? How long would it take to repair in BMW dealership and proximate price? Now I know I am asking for too much information but at least some rough numbers.

Thank you

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would think $$$$$. All depends on if it shifted the entire drivetrain over. It sounds as if it is misaligned so at minimum some suspension work, along with the ABS/X-drive sensors. Take a look at the offset of the wheels in the wheelwell to see if it shifted the axels/halfshafts toward the passenger side, and that may give you an idea if it needs some drivetrain alignment. I did something similar years back on a car in college and it screwed up the steering knuckle, tie rods, a-arms, etc. on the driver's front. It was around $1500 for that back in 1991. (I know, I just dated myself!!) Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think $$$$$. All depends on if it shifted the entire drivetrain over. It sounds as if it is misaligned so at minimum some suspension work, along with the ABS/X-drive sensors. Take a look at the offset of the wheels in the wheelwell to see if it shifted the axels/halfshafts toward the passenger side, and that may give you an idea if it needs some drivetrain alignment. I did something similar years back on a car in college and it screwed up the steering knuckle, tie rods, a-arms, etc. on the driver's front. It was around $1500 for that back in 1991. (I know, I just dated myself!!) Good luck.
I wouldn't think that it shifted it. The steering is off and both wheels are in a little bit. Alignment will be definitely necessary - probably on both wheels. The bad thing is that it happened Saturday and now I am without a car and any idea of the damage that occurred.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
There's some moderate to serious damage there. You've broken DSC and the wheel angle sensor, possibly damaged multiple suspension components, and possibly the drivetrain. You're looking minimum of $2500 in repairs.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
+1 on the serious damage. The good news is (if you can call it that) is your insurance will probably cover it since it was a collision that caused the damage.

·
Registered
767 Posts
There's some moderate to serious damage there. You've broken DSC and the wheel angle sensor, possibly damaged multiple suspension components, and possibly the drivetrain. You're looking minimum of $2500 in repairs.
Definately at minimum. I would assume control arms, tie rods, sway bar (possibly), links, steering components, and multiple sensors. Possibly hubs, bearings, rims (if bent), shock mounts....the list could go on. Hopefully no drivetrain damage as that would make the cost sky-rocket.

Definately get multiple quotes with a complete breakdown of parts needed so you have something to compare the quotes to each other.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts