Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
To Torinalth:
The HK system is a good news/bad news deal if you want better sound. The good news is that you have the potential for better sound, as the system sends a digital fiber optic signal to the factory amp, so you have a superior signal to work with. The bad news is that it is a proprietary system called MOST, so you have to have a converter to change the signal to a toslink optical digital output that most dsp/amp units will accept. The Audison Bit DMI is such a product. With that and a new amp, you are good to go. The MatchUP7 BMW is made by Audiotec-Fischer, a German company that makes the Bimmertech and Bavsound amps (they just rebrand an older model). The MatchUP7 amp includes dsp and is tunable with a PC, but also you can download a factory tune for the BMW X3/5. This amp has a speaker level input (which I used) but also has an optical digital input which you could use. This amp also has a separate sub output if you want more than the underseat woofers. The great thing about it though is that it mounts where the factory amp mounts, uses the factory wiring in for power and out for speakers, and you are all set for using the factory mid/tweets in doors and dash (5 channels) and underseat woofers (two channels) all without replacing wiring, etc. Technic PnP makes wiring harnesses that I used to kill the ASD (fake engine noise through stereo) though you can also turn it off using code, as covered elsewhere.

To Scottatah: I would be really careful putting three ways in with the woofer under the seats. Unless the crossover point to the woofers is really low, you will have some midrange coming under the seats which could be a mess. I would stick with two ways (Focal makes PnP units for BMW, though some say their separates are better, and they make underseat woofer replacements as well). You just have to accept that the underseat woofers are woofers, not subs, though as I have said I am very impressed with the quality and quantity of bass I am getting, it just isn't super deep ( I would guess 40-50hz). This is fine for most music, however, and many giant car subs struggle to make sound much deeper in a car just because the wavelengths involved are too long to experience in a car. I am going to try popping in a powered JR woofer box just to see if the added bass is worth the annoyance of looking at the box. I do not want to make some expensive custom enclosure that I then decide sucks after pouring a few grand into it (been there, done that)

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the HK system is very good. There are better aftermarket systems out there, but I'm not interested in going through all the expense and hassle to get it, plus you get no return on that investment later when selling/trading. I'm sure for the pure audiophiles out there its worth it, but for me, HK is a decent upgrade and worth it.

·
Vendor
8,176 Posts
There are two ways to improve the HK in the G01 - and in any BMW with a MOST (digital inputs) OEM amp.

a. Replace the OEM amp and all OEM speakers with PnP speakers/woofers, a separate DSP, MOST converter or coding, 9ch of amplification or 10ch if sub
b. Keep the OEM amp and replace only the front, center and woofers with either BimmerTech or Bavsound PnP speakers. Any other brand does not offer woofers with compatible resistance with the OEM amp -unless a separate amp is installed in series with the OEM amp.

The first option is a budget-irrelevant solution. There is no PnP MOST OEM amp replacement for available in the market right now therefore any OEM amp replacement will be much more expensive than staying with the standard HiFi system and replacing all its OEM components. The second option can be done for less than $1500 -depending if the OEM woofers are replaced or not, or if replaced with aftermarket woofers with lower resistance than OEM and a separate amp is installed.

Regardless of the option selected, two things will be very apparent once replaced -OEM tweeters lack of fidelity, and OEM woofers flabbyness. OEM mids are quite accurate and punchy -even with aftermarket power- so they can be kept. A third option for a tight budget could be:

- replacing all three front OEM tweeters with Eton or BimmerTech PnP tweeters -they plug directly to the OEM mids and snap into the OEM tweeter mount in the front doors and include an adapter for the center OEM tweeter
- adding a 2ch amp to the OEM amp to power a pair of Eton or MB Quart PnP woofers.

A 2ch amp plus a pair of those woofers will cost less than 2 PnP woofers from Bavsound or BimmerTech. For bass heads then a pair of SWS-8Xi with an Alpine MRV-F300 would be a $340 order in Amazon, for example. The SWS-8Xi are deep subs with some midbass, so if you are looking for midbass these are not. Eton and MB Quart are midbass woofers - tight midbass with some bass, better balanced for all types of music.

All of these options are reversible to OEM, no OEM wire will be cut, spliced or tapped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Can you explain the coding aspect? I was trying to follow-up on what edmiston suggested with the Audison converter for the MOST to normal optical then using the AF MATCH amp. I contacted Audison but am currently getting the run around as they keep telling me to contact other people.... But on one site the audison suggests the previous gen X3 needs coding to make it work, but what coding is this that needs to be done and by whom?

I've heard that the bavsound midbass woofers are pretty solid, so I could use more of a sub under the seats. either way I'd want to be able to use the stock amp and stock woofer locations, so I'd probably have to shelve the aftermarket amp until later, if at all.

I'm looking to go bavsound speakers across, some sort of woofers, and figuring out a wa to do the amp upgrade.

As a side note to the comments about Bluetooth not being good... sure, its less than CD quality... but using the same music and same phone, going from my S4 to the BMW was a massive downgrade. so even with a "lower quality" input there is a big difference that is at play.

·
Registered
119 Posts
https://www.audison.eu/products/bit-dmi/

The Audison works by accepting the MOST input and giving you a standard optical jack out to use for the audio.

In the HK system you do not need to code as it is already on MOST which is digital, you just need the converter to get a standard optical jack you can actually use. You only have to open the connectors and move some wires around to route the signal the correct way.

I installed one in my hifi stereo car and had to code. Hifi is analog. So now i have digital output. I am also using the Match 7BMW. Plan on upgrading to a Helix P Six DSP Mk2. I need more power!

F10 535D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got a response from the audison US distributor... they were of zero help. said they hadn't ever used the bit DMI but were not familiar with any coding needs period. so, I'll have to chance it on my own when I get there. On the bright side I ran across an old JL 10" TW3 sub loaded in one of their truck style stealth boxes in my attic. forgot I had it for my truck and it never got there, so if after my BAV sound upgrade, AND if I can and do upgrade my amp, I've got a sub already that just needs a corresponding amp. Only concern is that I don't think I'll have an unaltered signal to tap into for the subwoofer. as I'm guessing the DSP would cut the stock woofers at a certain level making it a reduced freq range for the additional amp and sub. One thing at a time, money for the BAV upgrade first.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you plan on using the Match Up7bmw, it has an rca out that is dsp controlled on an 8th channel. I have mine connected to a JL RD1000 on 2 12TW3's. Sounds good with proper adjustment.

F10 535D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
went back and checked. not sure how I overlooked that. so now its just money and time to put it all together. thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
went back and checked. not sure how I overlooked that. so now its just money and time to put it all together. thanks.
Best of luck. This stereo stuff is a never ending money pit!

Having said that, although I’m scheduled to install some pretty nifty stuck in a little less than two weeks, my system was sounding surprisingly well today. It’s like something changed but I have no idea what that could be. Regardless it can only get better (I hope).

·
Vendor
8,176 Posts
All details and sample replacement MOST OEM amp: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963384

Can you explain the coding aspect? I was trying to follow-up on what edmiston suggested with the Audison converter for the MOST to normal optical then using the AF MATCH amp. I contacted Audison but am currently getting the run around as they keep telling me to contact other people.... But on one site the audison suggests the previous gen X3 needs coding to make it work, but what coding is this that needs to be done and by whom?

I've heard that the bavsound midbass woofers are pretty solid, so I could use more of a sub under the seats. either way I'd want to be able to use the stock amp and stock woofer locations, so I'd probably have to shelve the aftermarket amp until later, if at all.

I'm looking to go bavsound speakers across, some sort of woofers, and figuring out a wa to do the amp upgrade.

As a side note to the comments about Bluetooth not being good... sure, its less than CD quality... but using the same music and same phone, going from my S4 to the BMW was a massive downgrade. so even with a "lower quality" input there is a big difference that is at play.

·
Vendor
8,176 Posts
There is no coding required to use any MOST converter -either its firmware will work in your model or not.

Got a response from the audison US distributor... they were of zero help. said they hadn't ever used the bit DMI but were not familiar with any coding needs period. so, I'll have to chance it on my own when I get there. On the bright side I ran across an old JL 10" TW3 sub loaded in one of their truck style stealth boxes in my attic. forgot I had it for my truck and it never got there, so if after my BAV sound upgrade, AND if I can and do upgrade my amp, I've got a sub already that just needs a corresponding amp. Only concern is that I don't think I'll have an unaltered signal to tap into for the subwoofer. as I'm guessing the DSP would cut the stock woofers at a certain level making it a reduced freq range for the additional amp and sub. One thing at a time, money for the BAV upgrade first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm guessing the DSP would cut the stock woofers at a certain level making it a reduced freq range for the additional amp and sub. One thing at a time, money for the BAV upgrade first.
I use Technic's HK OEM harness+line converter kit with a JL 10" sub. I bought it 3.5 years ago for my F26 and it works just fine in my G02. Actually it was easier in the G02, the amp is easier to access. I am amused that Technic himself omitted what I'm doing as an option, but it works very well.

You need to EQ up sub-50hz to compensate for the subsonic filter, but fortunately it seems to be a soft rolloff, the sound is definitely there and sounds excellent when recovered.

Bav mids are good, but they're still small drivers that will give a "boxy" sound without help.

I tried using the Bav Ghosts with more power and the EQing mentioned earlier; Technic's harness has a provision for feeding the under seats with external power. I found you can improve things a little and add a little more depth, but it just doesn't come close to the wonderful full sound that that my JL 10" produces when it's playing along in tandem with the ghosts.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
So I am planning to order a 30I in the coming weeks and it sounds like I should do save the $800+ dollars not going with the HK?
Listen and compare. Our 2014 stock system was quite good. Therefor I went with the stock system on the 2019 X3 and do not like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
technic, I'm guessing that all the HK speakers are the same through the entire BMW lineup. can you confirm from your replacement of the center and the tweeters how the fitment was? I'm going to go full bore and replace all the front speakers, underseat woofers, and possibly the rears, replace the ampand then go from there. I'm seriously leaning towards the ETON woofers, but can't find them anywhere. suggestions on location for internet purchase? Second, I'm debating on just doing the BAV sound speakers for simplicity, but if I can get clarity on fitment of other speakers I'd be tempted to go elsewhere. My major concern is fitment, hence the bavsound thoughts... but I'm sure others are better out there. I'm leaning to the BIT DMI to the AF BMW replacement amp which I'm sure will be super easy..... but if I end up with eton woofers, i'd kinda want to push a bit more than 80w through them that they'd get from the AF amp (assuming SVC 4ohm woofers). what have you, or anyone reading seen work well in the stock speaker placements? on previous cars, mounting depth had been an issue once, magnet width on another, and simply getting the mounting points aligned without massive spacers or whatnot.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't own an X3 yet, but have to say that the HK system blows compared the Burmeister in the competitor I'm currently cross-shopping, GLC43 AMG.

I have the Burmeister system in my current C43 AMG and use Spotify (in Extreme Quality Bitrate setting) via Bluetooth and it sounds fantastic. Same setup sounds like garbage in the X3 so you cannot blame Bluetooth only. Yes, it certainly contributes, but a lot of systems sound great via Bluetooh, this one doesn't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tried the settings someone suggested on the other forum. System still sounds awful. I can hear a change, but it's just from one awful to another.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Because CarPlay uses wifi, not the ****ty SBC Bluetooth codec for audio.

Bluetooth can support better quality audio (AAC/APTX) but I'm quite sure BMW doesn't support this.

·
Vendor
8,176 Posts
Not all HK OEM speakers are the same in all BMW.

Contact ETON directly, they will sell you their speakers. All ETON BMW speakers fit exactly like OEM -visit their website and take a look. :thumbup:

technic, I'm guessing that all the HK speakers are the same through the entire BMW lineup. can you confirm from your replacement of the center and the tweeters how the fitment was? I'm going to go full bore and replace all the front speakers, underseat woofers, and possibly the rears, replace the ampand then go from there. I'm seriously leaning towards the ETON woofers, but can't find them anywhere. suggestions on location for internet purchase? Second, I'm debating on just doing the BAV sound speakers for simplicity, but if I can get clarity on fitment of other speakers I'd be tempted to go elsewhere. My major concern is fitment, hence the bavsound thoughts... but I'm sure others are better out there. I'm leaning to the BIT DMI to the AF BMW replacement amp which I'm sure will be super easy..... but if I end up with eton woofers, i'd kinda want to push a bit more than 80w through them that they'd get from the AF amp (assuming SVC 4ohm woofers). what have you, or anyone reading seen work well in the stock speaker placements? on previous cars, mounting depth had been an issue once, magnet width on another, and simply getting the mounting points aligned without massive spacers or whatnot.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts