BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 335i has been running perfectly ! My favorite vehicle ever. I let a family member drive it home from the airport after dropping me off...he said it went into "limp mode" /reduced power while he was on interstate (it had done that a couple times in one year which seemed to happen because of an awkward acceleration on my part, but it would go off after I slowed down or turned it off and Back on...) HE kept driving to the next exit to get off. POOF- white smoke. Slung a rod.
I'm currently looking for another engine to put in. Has this happened to anyone else or so you know what would cause this ? Oil was good(regular maintenance done properly).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the family member make a "money shift" or over rev the engine in some other way?
No. Unfortunately, that family member is in between jobs and feels like its my fault for the light coming on a time or two before and me not "fixing it." He should have pulled over and called me immediately.... but from what he told me, he downshifted to maintain speed and pulled over at next exit where he lost power and saw the smoke right at the exit ramp.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,756 Posts
No. Unfortunately, that family member is in between jobs and feels like its my fault for the light coming on a time or two before and me not "fixing it." He should have pulled over and called me immediately.... but from what he told me, he downshifted to maintain speed and pulled over at next exit where he lost power and saw the smoke right at the exit ramp.
Right...he blew it up.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Did this motor ever throw a belt and have it get sucked into the crankcase?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
'slung a rod'...whazzat, and how do you know this is what occurred?

I know what a rod is, I know fully how internal combustion works, I have torn apart and rebuilt engines...but I'd like a bit more explicit description of what is ailing the car than the slang.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,894 Posts
I wondered at that too, but assumed he meant "threw a rod." So far though, it sounds like a less-catastrophic failure. It's pretty tough to throw a connecting rod without punching a nice (not-so-)neat hole through the block, and it's always accompanied by a horrific banging/knocking that OP's "friend" could not have failed to notice (and report). Limp mode? More like "jogging with a compound leg fracture" mode. :bawling:

Maybe just ("just..." :() a blown head gasket or grenaded turbocharger? OP, how and why have you diagnosed that you need to replace the entire engine?

·
always learning...
402 Posts
If someone borrowed my car, saw an engine-related light illuminate, and responded by "downshifting to maintain speed", I'd be PIS*ED. That's what we call an emergency. That's what flashers are for.

It's like seeing someone having a heart attack and forcing them to sprint. Wow, just wow.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

I know what a rod is, I know fully how internal combustion works, I have torn apart and rebuilt engines...but I'd like a bit more explicit description of what is ailing the car than the slang.
I figured he meant that the engine was making the classic "rod knock" sounds and that he was suspecting a "spun", or failed and turning freely connecting rod bearing, that was allowing excess rod motion at the bottom of the cylinder allowing the rod to make contact with the block.

But, yeah, some better description of the symptoms would be useful.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Upon further review..."POOF - white smoke..." Sounds like more than just a spun bearing if it caused the engine to lose oil containment. Possibly the rod broke through the block?

More details (and pics as requested by CAL) would clear things up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Sorry it's been a while since I've responded! Getting married in14 days and having to deal with this crap. If this picture shows up, you'll see a hole that is about as wide as a Nickel. location: driver side of engine- beneath the intake manifold- a few inches back from the HPFP.
A former BMW mechanic glanced at it, (tried to jump it off before we found the hole....) didn't hear any clanking around..., but then I found a few small pieces of the block and then the hole... where the oil was coming from. He said it's most likely a rod or something but that id need to rebuild the engine...however, that's just from looking at it, not reading codes, opening the engine up, or checking compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 20 of 29 Posts