BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my initial estimate from my insurance company it is 6 pages long!

They have not disassembled or measured the car, just looked at what is visible from the outside…My insurance has identified 16.4K of damage, but for now not totaled.

It is scheduled to be torn down by the repair shop on September 12th. The shop told me to expect another 100% - 130% in supplemental at that time 16.4K – 21K. I am looking at a possible 37K of damages!

Yes the frame is bent and the listed repair for that item is $374. I will probably order a 330i tonight.
:yikes:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
CD-55 said:

It is scheduled to be torn down by the repair shop on September 12th. The shop told me to expect another 100% - 130% in supplemental at that time 16.4K - 21K. I am looking at a possible 37K of damages!
So does it seem like it will be totaled at THAT point?

It seems some insurance companies are SO adamant about not totalling cars, even if the claim cost seems astronomical.

OTOH I've had friends whose cars only got 4 or 5 grand worth of damage on a $13k value car (drivable) and the insurance totaled it.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
:yikes:

Holy #@[email protected]@!!! You really did a number on that car, huh? Hey, that's why we have insurance. I think your decision to order a new car soon is a good one - even if they don't total this thing, who the heck knows how it would drive after being fixed?

·
10,856 Posts
Yeesh. Good luck, Hunter!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Bad hit / Good Timing (Seats)

e46myway said:
snip...
I have a 2001 325i 4-door and am seeking Black Sport Seats.

Would you be interested in snagging these seats and selling them to me if your car is deemed totalled, you have the black color seats, and they are in mint condition?
- e46myway
yep they are black and close to perfect condition.

I think: If it is totaled, then the car is property of the insurance company and I will be very limited with what they allow me to remove or swap. Maybe we can track it, and you can swap it when it is in a junk yard?

If it is repaired: I will need to keep the seats for trade-in or sale value.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Re: Re: Holy Cow, my initial insurance estimate!

Kaz said:
It seems some insurance companies are SO adamant about not totalling cars, even if the claim cost seems astronomical.

OTOH I've had friends whose cars only got 4 or 5 grand worth of damage on a $13k value car (drivable) and the insurance totaled it.
It sometimes seems to be really strange what they will and will not total after an accident.

Bought a new '80 Celica when I moved out to LA ;). Cost me $9.5k. Rear ended on it's 1 month birthday :cry: . The frame was bent and the front passenger half axle was sheered off at the wheel from being spun around over the curb. Insurance company wouldn't total it :banghead: . Ended up costing $7k to fix. Argh. Never did ride the same after that so I just drove it in to the ground.

But glad you all made it out of your situation with only minor problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gotcha. If the shop isn't able to lift the seats for you before it is taken away, please give me all the information as you receive it as to where the car is going and how I might be able to secure those seats.

You can PM me if you want to.

Much appreciated.

- e46myway

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Congrats on getting it totalled (one 'l' or 2--I can never remember?), as it looks like it will be!

;-)

How 'bout Euro Delivery? I'll bet JS could hook you up with a real sweet deal--Euro Delivery AND US delivery in Spartanburg!

Have you ever thought about a real nice (slightly used, like say, 10k miles) '01 330i 5-speed with sport, sand (I know you prefer black) 'ette, etc., etc.?

I'll make you one sweet deal...

:D

G

·
So, let me ask this to clarify, this means that they are going to start repairing it and ask for supplementals as they go as needed? Or are they going ot wait to start until they determine a total total.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TD said:
So, let me ask this to clarify, this means that they are going to start repairing it and ask for supplementals as they go as needed? Or are they going ot wait to start until they determine a total total.
Before they start the repair work, they take it all apart measure, photo, and label everything. The will start this work around September 12th and revise the estimate. Until then I have to wait and see what the total damage is, but all are betting there is going to be a lot more. Once they get started on the 12th, it should be repaired or declared a "total" quickly.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
TD said:
I'm no insurance expert, but I can't imagine that the insurance company would elect to proceed this way. In order to safeguard their own financial interest, they have to know before they spend any money whether fixing the car will exceed its value.

I do have to wonder whether WagonWorks charges the insurance company an "appraisal fee" regardless of whether the car is eventually repaired; the kind of tear down estimate that Hunter is describing sounds like a lot of work to take on spec.

G

·
JST said:

I'm no insurance expert, but I can't imagine that the insurance company would elect to proceed this way. In order to safeguard their own financial interest, they have to know before they spend any money whether fixing the car will exceed its value.

I do have to wonder whether WagonWorks charges the insurance company an "appraisal fee" regardless of whether the car is eventually repaired; the kind of tear down estimate that Hunter is describing sounds like a lot of work to take on spec.
I wondered that too. Who is paying for the work they are doing now?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
CD-55 said:
I am looking at a possible 37K of damages!
i'm glad u walked away and all, but u are a f*ckin' bonehead, and have basically cost ALL E46 owners money in the form of increased insurance premiums.

everybody patting this guy on the back ought to realize his idiotic behavior is taking money right out of your wallet. :rolleyes:

G

·
Re: Re: Holy Cow, my initial insurance estimate!

___lk___ said:

i'm glad u walked away and all, but u are a f*ckin' bonehead, and have basically cost ALL E46 owners money in the form of increased insurance premiums.

everybody patting this guy on the back ought to realize his idiotic behavior is taking money right out of your wallet. :rolleyes:
Leave it to lk to come up with the kind words and first flame.

And next you're going to tell me that you've never done anything stupid while driving...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.