BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw full reveal of new SL. I'm a Bimmer guy, but I've always appreciated the beauty of the MB SL. Hell has frozen over. That is an ugly, ugly car. Comparing the two, who would really buy the SL over the 650?

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kind of an ugly duck, at least the exterior - too bad. I don't really like the new direction in Mercedes design - look new CLS vs old, new SLK vs old, new gullwing vs old... Car looks very boxy rather than slick and sporty... I am sure though it is a great ride, and some people will love the looks

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think the frontal pedestrian impact regulations are having a real - decidedly negative - influence on the front end design of these cars. The side view of the F12/13 is pretty bulbous too. BMW seems to have done a much better job than MB in complying with the new regs tho.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Though I would want to see the car in person before passing judgment, I would say (based on the picture) that the new SL is not all that bad looking. I think I like the sporty lines of the SL. However, I still think the 6, looks-wise, is the more attractive of these cars.

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
The SL is too flat in the front...

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I like the new SL, but as former SL owner, I might be a bit biased. ;)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Could be interesting, but those headlights? Hmm...

·
Registered
174 Posts
It looks coarse to me. I traded my E63 on an 2008 550SL. That version was better looking than this one.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This is a stretch comparison wise, but the only SL that I would love to have at this point is the attached:p

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Classic car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Mercedes-benz 190sl

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
It looks coarse to me. I traded my E63 on an 2008 550SL. That version was better looking than this one.
With top down (in FL or otherwise :thumbup:), my 08 SL550 is the most fun car I've owned to date. And it's as solid as any hard top coupe or sedan I've ever driven. The 5.5L V8 is an absolute beast, yet purrs along at barely 1500 rpm at 75 mph (where allowed, of course). The only complaints I hear about the car are 'guys, where am I going to sit, it's only got two seats!'...:D

Speaking of MB, I posted a new thread comparing the 2012 E550 Cabriolet vs 2012 650i Vert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.