BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my latest car & driver issue yesterday, they road tested the M850i and the 0-60 and 1/4 times are out of this world. I am not sure if this is maybe a ringer that BMW sent to them since every other euro review tested considerably slower. Reason I post this is since it's presumed that this motor is going into the M550i at the latest for the MY 2021 LCI, but rumors say it will come with the MY 2020 car.

0-60 mph 3.3
0-100 mph 7.6
0- 150 mph 18.5 sec

1/4 mile [email protected] mph

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Interesting. I don't see the test on their online site yet. A close friend of mine is about to order one for his wife. I WILL be driving it!

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's the same engine, I have a 2019 M550i and wish it was the same but I think the TU3 definitely pushes out more power. R&T tested the M850i overseas in that article (it's from last year). I really want to see R&T and Motor Trend do their full test in the states to see what times they hit. Either way going to Dinan tune my car as soon as they get the CARB approval for Cali..GRRRR.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I don't see the test on their online site yet. A close friend of mine is about to order one for his wife. I WILL be driving it!

Thanks for posting.
no problem. just got it in the mail yesterday.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
So this is interesting. C&D Online just put up a test of the new Bentley Continental GT. It's performance times are identical to what you posted above. I have seen magazines post another cars numbers before. Very odd that every number you posted above are the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is interesting. C&D Online just put up a test of the new Bentley Continental GT. It's performance times are identical to what you posted above. I have seen magazines post another cars numbers before. Very odd that every number you posted above are the same.
yup, lol. i noticed that too and it was mentioned in the review as well. I really want to see some other magazine test the car as well, and also the 7 series later on this year as that should be pretty comparable as well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I got my latest car & driver issue yesterday, they road tested the M850i and the 0-60 and 1/4 times are out of this world. I am not sure if this is maybe a ringer that BMW sent to them since every other euro review tested considerably slower. Reason I post this is since it's presumed that this motor is going into the M550i at the latest for the MY 2021 LCI, but rumors say it will come with the MY 2020 car.

0-60 mph 3.3
0-100 mph 7.6
0- 150 mph 18.5 sec

Just in time for my lease expiry. Hmmmm...this is getting exciting.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I read that article too. My dealer had one on the showroom floor a few weeks ago. Man, I love that freakin' car.

·
Vendor
6,603 Posts

0-60 mph 3.3
0-100 mph 7.6
0- 150 mph 18.5 sec

Its a really nice car but i would not call these times out of this world for a 120k car

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Its a really nice car but i would not call these times out of this world for a 120k car
I take issue in that it's not even the "M" that is coming. This is the "Trophy Wife" version. :rofl:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so interesting revelation here. Motor Trend just tested the 2019 M850i and the times are a lot more consistent with what we expected and what we saw last year.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/8-series/2019/2019-bmw-m850i-xdrive-first-test-review/

0-60 3.5
11.9 sec @ 116.1 mph

7 mph is a huge disparity between the 2. What***8217;s interesting is in the same issue Car & Driver tested the Bentley Continental GT and had identical 0-60 and ¼ time and trap. I wonder if there was a typo of some sort?

I understand elevation, weather, etc, can all play a huge role here so would be interesting to see what Road & Track gets when they test the M850i.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
OK, so interesting revelation here. Motor Trend just tested the 2019 M850i and the times are a lot more consistent with what we expected and what we saw last year.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/8-series/2019/2019-bmw-m850i-xdrive-first-test-review/

0-60 3.5
11.9 sec @ 116.1 mph

7 mph is a huge disparity between the 2. What's interesting is in the same issue Car & Driver tested the Bentley Continental GT and had identical 0-60 and ¼ time and trap. I wonder if there was a typo of some sort?

I understand elevation, weather, etc, can all play a huge role here so would be interesting to see what Road & Track gets when they test the M850i.
To your point, 7 mph is huge. I've done a little drag racing and was pretty consistent. Two mph was the most difference I saw due to weather,.

C&D even commented in their test that it was identical to the Bently, so not much chance it was a typo.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Yes of course, apparently the 850i used on the track was a pre-production and had some difficulty with the lane departure system and transmission.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts