BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked my car up following Inspection I and the sticky pedal...

(Oil change, filters, new front brakes)

Holy crap! Throttle response is completely different! I no longer have to floor it to match revs! There's dramatically reduced lag, as well...

On the way home from VOB, I just had this HUGE shit eating grin. :D Had to take it easy with the new front brakes, though. :p

G

·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
...I just had this HUGE shit eating grin. :D
Okay, I've wondered about this for a long time....

What are the origins of this saying? You hear it from time to time and, well, it makes no logical sense. I mean, if you were forced to eat shit, I doubt you'd be grinning much.

Anyone? Bueller?

On, and Nick, congrats on the fix.

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: Holy shit!!! Sticky pedal fix is awesome!

TD said:

What are the origins of this saying? You hear it from time to time and, well, it makes no logical sense. I mean, if you were forced to eat shit, I doubt you'd be grinning much.

TD, *Don't* you know *sarcasm* when you hear it?:rolleyes:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Holy shit!!! Sticky pedal fix is awesome!

TD said:

Didn't you ever see "Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead"?

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,602 Posts
I'll take this one on

From the same vernacular as "Happy as a pig in shit" comes the saying, "a Shit eating grin"

Just a guess, really.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
I had my sticky pedal fixed a couple weeks ago. And I did have a big smile on my face as I drove away from the dealer. I didn't think the sticky pedal was that big of a deal, until it was fixed. It does make driving just a little bit nicer. :thumbup:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I did not encounter any stickiness however I did have the pedal replaced anyway. (Lack of stickiness could be that we have very mild summers, rarely exceeding 90 deg. for any duration). Didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Same here. The sticky pedal fix made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the car. Much more so than the steering retrofit (which actually has detracted from my enjoyment of the car). I'm happy that BMW got this fix right.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
I also am very happy with my sticky pedal fix. The biggest difference is that the feel is now consistent all the time. I also notice that the throttle response is slightly better and rev matching is easier.

My question is: why? If the throttle is drive-by-wire wouldn't the throttle lag and free rev'ing be a function of the software rather than the hardware? Do they do any reprograming with the new assemblies?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
ERK said:
I also am very happy with my sticky pedal fix. The biggest difference is that the feel is now consistent all the time. I also notice that the throttle response is slightly better and rev matching is easier.

My question is: why? If the throttle is drive-by-wire wouldn't the throttle lag and free rev'ing be a function of the software rather than the hardware? Do they do any reprograming with the new assemblies?
Maybe it's reset? I haven't disconnected the battery or pulled any fuses (unlike some people :D), but supposedly, if you don't drive with a very heavy right foot, disconencting the battery will reset the learning curve of the software and provide better (read: quicker) throttle response for a time.

Maybe it could have something to with the pot/sending unit (or whatever is used) having a different response curve in hardware?

·
Registered
50 Posts
don't underestimate sticky pedal fix

This had made a tremendous difference. Rev matching, off the line, and overall smoothness improved. Consider having it done even if you are asymptomatic.

btw - I still can't post pics.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Boy do I feel dumb. :rolleyes: All this talk about the sticky pedal month after month and I have never really paid any attention to it until now. All the while I had been wondering why it is MUCH easier to rev match in my 12 year old Honda than in my 7 month old 3er. Just made my appointment! How stupid... :banghead:

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I had mine done today, and the pedal action is definitely much smoother and freer. Like buttah :thumbup:

(The dealer also fixed a misalignment in my front roof rack mount cover thingies, and found it in his heart to give me a 325iA loaner for the day (after I b!tched via email to my salesman and I am guessing there was a causal relationship going between my complaint and the result) :thumbup: )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts