Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This picture was taken a few doors down from MY HOUSE. I know the guy who took the picture, Mike Mogil. He is a professional meteorologist and has a weather station at his house.

But seeing THIS picture taken from a vantage point so close to my house (easily less than 200 feet away) is just eerie. Although seeing it from 20 miles away knowing no one is home makes it a bit better.

Here's a link- http://www.nbc4.com/news/1455734/detail.html

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
For a second I thought you were writing a review of the tornado fuel saving device :D

I assume everything is fine over there and you are not posting the message from your wine cellar.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
DaveN323i said:
For a second I thought you were writing a review of the tornado fuel saving device :D
I thought he saw a RacingDynamics R50. :lmao:

I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes any day, thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaveN323i said:

I assume everything is fine over there and you are not posting the message from your wine cellar.
Well, I'm at my office 20 miles away. The house could be gone for all I know. But I don't think so.

Another neighbor has a webcam pointed out at the park across from our house. I pulled it up and everything looks more of less fine. I'm figuring Brinks (who monitors our security system) would have called had the house blown away.

Thanks though... I'd rather be in a cellar drinking wine, but, no, I'm at work.

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
TD said:
I got a larger copy of the pic from him. Here it is-
DAMN Tom...that's scary. Glad your house and family are OK.

It apparently is moving our way because they are posting tornado warnings all over the news right now in S.E. PA.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Holy Moly, alone looking at this pic is scaring me.

I hope everything is fine, Tom.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, as far as I know, everything is fine. I know for certain everyone in my family is safe. My parents live about 5 miles from us and are watching our daughter at their house today. When the Emergency Broadcast System came on with a tornado warning reporting a sighting southwest of Rockville, I called them right away and told them to get in the basement, which they did. It turns out that my neighbor (who is a professional meterologist and the guy who took the pic) is the guy who officially sighted it for the National Weather Service. And the sighting took place from essentially my backyard.

When I first saw this pic, my jaw almost hit the floor. I emailed it to my wife and one of our other neighbors. We still have not been home, so there may still be some surprises awaiting us.

Thanks for the concern, but, at worst, it's an insurance claim. But I doubt anything actually happened to the house.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
TD said:
Again, as far as I know, everything is fine. I know for certain everyone in my family is safe. My parents live about 5 miles from us and are watching our daughter at their house today. When the Emergency Broadcast System came on with a tornado warning reporting a sighting southwest of Rockville, I called them right away and told them to get in the basement, which they did. It turns out that my neighbor (who is a professional meterologist and the guy who took the pic) is the guy who officially sighted it for the National Weather Service. And the sighting took place from essentially my backyard.

When I first saw this pic, my jaw almost hit the floor. I emailed it to my wife and one of our other neighbors. We still have not been home, so there may still be some surprises awaiting us.

Thanks for the concern, but, at worst, it's an insurance claim. But I doubt anything actually happened to the house.
I thought I had escaped the tornado scourge by moving out of the Midwest. There have been a rash of them recently, though, in this area, so it seems the only thing I have managed to do is move into a tornado-prone area in a house with no basement. :mad:

One thing is odd, though: in Michigan, they used to set off the air-raid sirens when a tornado warning was in effect. I haven't noticed that out here (nor, truth be told, have I noticed any air-raid sirens--not even on the one day recently when they could have been legitimately turned on).

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Kaz said:

I thought he saw a RacingDynamics R50. :lmao:

Me too at first :lmao:

When I was a kid we were visiting friends in Nebraska and I remember looking toward the horizon and seeing a funnel. When I asked our friend he said "Oh it's just a tornado... it's in the next county though so don't worry" :yikes:

It boggles my mind even today, the darn thing was flat out moving across the countryside! and it was huge!

The guy was very casual about it "Oh ya, that's a tornado..."

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
They is very scary, I'm a survivor of the '65 Fridley Tornado (for those in Minn. who remember it, it was the deadliest tornado on record at the time) and once watched a small funnel dismantle one of our barns (in total naive fascination as I watched from our house, 300 yards away)

·
3,762 Posts
Ripsnort said:
They is very scary, I'm a survivor of the '65 Fridley Tornado (for those in Minn. who remember it, it was the deadliest tornado on record at the time) and once watched a small funnel dismantle one of our barns (in total naive fascination as I watched from our house, 300 yards away)
I hear about it frequently, but was -5 years old when it passed through. Not even a twinkle in my dad's eye yet.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
ff said:

I hear about it frequently, but was -5 years old when it passed through. Not even a twinkle in my dad's eye yet.
We lived in Coon Rapids, about 1 mile from the devastation, had debris in our yard...luckily, by a freak of nature, but quite normal in Tornado's, the Cat.5 twister "Jumped" over our neighborhood, had it stayed on the ground for another 5 min., I probably wouldn't be typing this story!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts