BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to all BMW lovers from Honolulu...

I need to change front suspension, have ordered all parts but now I'm facing even bigger problem then shipping parts to here - place where I can do that... Only one place that I was recommended - military garage that located neat NEX BUT I moved here just recently and have no military friends and I'm civilian so that place doesn't work... Is there any other place where I can go to do some vehicle work at all here in Honolulu?

Thanks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks like the best you can do is work on it on the street.well, like I said before, go to checkers in dillingham and ask if you can work on it at the side if the store. If not the street in the back is almost always deserted and I always see people work on Thier cars back there. I guess having an auto parts store right there helps. Good luck bro!

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Senior Slacker
5,673 Posts
We don't have any places I know of that rent shop or lift time. I also see people working on their cars by Checkers (now called O'Reilly) on Dillingham. You may want to call A&A autoworks on Kapahulu they may have some ideas.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I did spark plugs change at Checkers today. Looks like you can do pretty much whatever you need there.
Will stop by to change O2 soon as I need to find jack stands (at Checkers they are ~$60, kind da not cheap). It turned out that I can't do pre-cat on my 528i just from under the hood...

Thanks one more time!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Cool bro... Yeah, they are pretty cool about it as long as you don't block the front parking and don't bother the customers.and having a parts store right there helps a lot for unprepared fixes...my friend worked on his trucks driveshaft in the back on the street. Left it there over night and everything.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, as I've read a lot this forum I found that probably I'm not as good as I thought to do front suspension by myself... Is anybody here who is from Oahu can/willing to help me out with that? Please PM me.
I need to install struts, tie rods, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings. Also I need to do AT fluid change. I have all parts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ok, as I've read a lot this forum I found that probably I'm not as good as I thought to do front suspension by myself... Is anybody here who is from Oahu can/willing to help me out with that? Please PM me.
I need to install struts, tie rods, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings. Also I need to do AT fluid change. I have all parts.
As of right now I have only done the front and rear shock/struts by myself. I don't know how to do any of the other stuff yet.it's kind of scary at first, but it's actually quite easy...it's just time consuming...you need at least 10 hours if it's your first time with just you working on it...2 guys with experience will probably cut the time in half, given you have the right tools and parts. Weather also plays a factor. This week has either been rainy or hot as hell. I'll pm you my number, but I won't be free this month though... Most likely next month on Sundays...I fly back and forth to outer islands for work.

·
97' 540i
332 Posts
OT:

I was out in your neck of the woods, got back a few days ago.... very nice, and saw a lot of BMW's out there, all in great shape.. Can't wait to go back!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, agree - alot of BMW's here in Honolulu. I saw dealer service center, man, it'd really HUGE here and each repair stall is busy and you almost always need to wait about a day to do something (I didn't do anything, I was sitting and waiting for my key so I've overheard others) that's why they charge us $300 for oil change :)

Hopefully I will do all stuff I need by myself, will see, this weekend we have rain, again, so hopefully next week...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.