Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side hood latch seized and in turn the bowden cable going from that latch towards the firewall broke where it joins with the cable coming from the interior.

Anyways - its all open now through a lot of painful hassle. I've ordered all new cables since I chewed them up trying to get the latches to release.

Regarding the latches - should I replace them as well or is it enough to just clean and lubricate them? I gave them both a bit of white lithium grease and they're both moving quite a bit easier but I don't know if its worth risking having to go through that pain again. I looked them over and it didn't seem like there was any corrosion or other obvious failures. They were just very stiff.

How stiff should the latches be ideally? Pre-greasing, the driver's side latch required me hanging pretty much my entire body weight off it to get it to budge from underneath. Post-greasing, I can just release it with my thumb with some effort. With the cable running to the passenger side latch, I can release the passenger side latch with my thumb directly on the latch mechanism on the driver's side latch but getting the driver's side latch to release requires both thumbs and painful effort. I know that once installed, there's a mechanical advantage from the handle acting as a lever, plus the lever is easier to grip so I'm sure I'll be able to release both latches as they are right now but I don't know if they'll end up breaking the plastic joiner again.

·
61 Posts
I have thought about taking those latches out all together and installing racing pins, though that would be unsightly. I have had two cables fail and for the life of me can't understand why this is such a hard concept to fix as this is the only car I have ever owned to have this issue. I have looked and as far as I know ther i nothing else to do but grease the latches monthly to prevent seizing and stay with it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,471 Posts
Read bicycle Bowden Cable best practices, they***8217;re used for shifting and conventional braking

Know that there are two Bowden Cables in each door locking assembly and with the EMF brake.

Keep them lubricated. Be gentle. Preemptively change them if in doubt.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e65-745i-lim/search?q=bowden

1 - 3 of 3 Posts