BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone else runs in to this and can't figure it out....

Check the manual (safety) latch, if it's not adjusted properly, pushed back towards the rear, the back of the lever can rub against the support frame and prevent the hood from popping up when you pull the primary release.

Of course I figured it out after removing the cables and latches, cleaning and lubing everything, reinstalling, adjusting the hood pin locations and depth.

FWIW 2000 528i, 234000 miles and still going.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think I probably have this problem ie you pull the bonnet release then go around to the bonnet and the lever hasn't popped out from the grill. What are you saying needs adjusting?

Spod

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Looks like the safety latch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes. The safety latch. I was having a very difficult time opening the hood. When the release was pulled in the cabin, the hood would only pop up a little bit, and eventually not at all. I would have to have someone hold the release while I pulled the hood up enough to have the safety latch release come through the grill. Even prior to all that, the lever for the safety latch sometimes didn't protrude through the grill and was extremely difficult to pull it felt like it was rusted/sticking. So I would lubricate the latch (the sliding portion where the pin slides in the the oval), thinking it was sticking/rough.

I finally realized that the safety latch had moved relative to the framework it hooks to (hey the car has been around for a bit!) Then to solve the problem, all I had to do is loosen the torx bolts holding it to the hood, slide it forward, towards the front of the car, a small bit and tada! all is well.

It turned out that the "S" bend in the lever was hooking under the framework, just in front of the hole where the actual latch slides in. I tried cleaning and lubricating the latch, lubricating the actual hood pins and release mechanisms, adjusting the pins. Even bending the safety latch where it might be sliding along the grillwork. Finally realized it was the lever itself catching under the support frame.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts