Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 E70 hood is stuck closed. The release handle inside the car moves and I can hear the cable moving in the engine compartment.

I was able to open it using $3 a 36" metal rod(purchased at Lowes) through the grill as described in this video I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ZfbWWEC6s

It took a little bit of patience but I was able to find and press the release on the car's right side hood latch. Then I was able to use the cabin handle to release the other latch on the car's left side.

But - once I closed it, the problem is the same. Not sure where to look for the root cause since the cabin handle was pulling the cable to unlock the left side once I manually did the right side with the bar. I'd prefer not to have to do that every time the hood has to be opened.

Suggestions on the first things I should look for next time I pop the hood open?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,452 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,784 Posts
Hard to read someone closed a hood after that!!!!

As I recall, the bowden cable needs replacing

·
Nuclear engineer
17,452 Posts
I was once acquainted with a Kaiser Permanente plant manager that drove an always new Ford PU kuntry kadillac, back in the days of full-service gas stations. The pump jockey wanted so badly to look under the hood, but my friend convinced him that he***8217;d get a new Ford KK before he would open the hood.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Replace cable indeed. Fiddly but very doable.

It’s a design flaw; the bend in te cable on the right side wants to straighten itself and hence pushes itself out of the retaining opening in the lock. Over time with some wear to the cable end from small movements it succeeds. If the cable clipped in from the other direction it would push itself INTO the retainer rather than out.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
17,452 Posts
Bowden cable is in general fragile to fatigue stress at bends.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Bowden cable is in general fragile to fatigue stress at bends.

From all posts and movies i saw that’s not the issue. The common issue is that on the passenger side the outer cable cable just unclips from its retainer, rendering the movement of the inner cable when pulling the lever pointless. Drivers side does not have a serious bend in the cable, and even if so, the straightening force is in a harmless direction. Ie not straight out of the clip.

Practice a few times, both sides, and keep that thin rod (i used a 2mm rod) in the trunk :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out when I was replacing coolant hoses the other day, I moved the passenger side hood cable out of the way and it must have come out of it's socket in the latch. When I shined the light into the mechanism I could see the cable hanging unconnected. Using this video at about the 11:25 mark, I was able to just re-attach it. But I did see fraying of the cable at the junction box on the driver side of the cable so I'll be ordering a new one for both sides as a precaution. I've also gotten pretty good at using the rod to open it in case it happens again. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHCV1t9c6ZM

Thanks for all the comments/tips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts