BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Problem again yesterday I got a SRS (Air Bag) light came and today I Notice that none of the buttons on the steering buttons along with the horn is working. I am confused. And How I can get the codes. ?? Thanks MAT

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is probably a bad clock spring. The clock spring is this coiled spool of wires that connects all of your steering wheel inputs (horn, cruise, radio controls, airbags, and etc) to the rest of your car. Basically it coils or uncoils allowing you to turn the steering wheel left or right without severing your electrical connections.

I had to replace one my Explorer. Its proceedure was to pull the steering wheel and then replace the clock spring. It cost about $100 from a dealer. I got one for $5 from a salvage yard. Just find a car with heavy front end collision damage and where the driver's side airbag deployed. If it deployed, the clock spring is probably good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steering button problems

Hi there, Problem again yesterday I got a SRS (Air Bag) light came and today I Notice that none of the buttons on the steering buttons along with the horn is working. I am confused. And How I can get the codes. ?? Thanks MAT
Hi, I have exactly the same issue as you had with your car on my 1997 528 Touring. Can you please let me know what the problem and solution was? Mant thanks, Matthew.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Its The Clock Spring Had The Same Problem In My 95 Acura Coupe 6sp. God I Still Miss Her.

·
Registered
254 Posts
it's the clockspring had the same problem in my 95 acura legend coupe 6sp. had a hell of a time trying to find one at the junk yards and ebay. god i still miss that car

·
Registered
102 Posts
I found the problem in mine
Its the slip ring behind the steering wheel
Off to the dealer tomorrow for a new one $$$$$$

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Have The Same Issue. I Bought My 98 Bmw 528 Last Year. The Only Light That Was On Was The Airbag (dealer Issue). The Horn Never Really Blew Loud But Didnt Think It Was Related Until Last Week When I Noticed That My Airbag Light Dimmed Then Went Out...once It Went Out My Horn Did Not Work And It Affected My Recently Installed (4 months ago without an issue) Pioneer Flip Out Radio. But When The Light Came Back On Minutes Later Everything Works. Since then it goes out sometimes for a few hours then comes back on either while im driving or when i restart the car. Does Anyone Know Why It Would Affect My Radio From Turning On? And How Much Did It Cost To Replace The Coil? Thanx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.