BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nick Alexander BMW in Los Angeles has on crazy internet sales manager. I put a 2K down payment (search and acquire deposit) on a 06 325. A few days later he informed me (because it wasn't actually on the lot, he had to get it from another dealer) that it was sold the day before i put down my money.

He then tried to sell me up to a 330 which i did not appreciate (i thought he was trying to pull a bait and switch manuever). I calmly approached his manager by phone and discussed the situation with her. She reassured me that what the internet guy did was extremely unprofessional and that she will do everything she can to get that car. My deposit was also completely refundable.

So i call the internet guy a few days later and he goes to town on me. There was cursing, yelling, and borderline extortion i think. He told me that his manager ripped him a new a$$h*le and that any of his clients that were twice my age (i'm 25) would have never gone above him. I apologized (just to calm him down) but tried to explain that maybe he should be a little more accurate in describing the availability of vehicles he claims to have.

So three weeks have now gone by. No phone calls, no updates. the internet guy's manager said i would have a car by July 4th. I called 2 other bmw dealers in the LA area (one in camarillo and one in glendale). Both managed to find my car (although i don't know if they had it in there possession per se) and offered me a lower price than Nick Alexander.

Needless to say, I requested from my internet guy a refund on my deposit. After a long pause on the phone, he told me that i really fudged him over, BIG TIME. He said he would be surprised if i could make it much farther in this world conducting business as I just had. it costs money to move cars! he said that he's out of town so i would have to wait to get a refund on my money but since i'm such good friends with his manager, i should just call her directly for it.

before i could explain anything he had hung up on me.

so i understand that i'm young but it seems to me that he never took me seriously as a customer. i guess a 2K deposit is not serious enough?!? he never called. no updates. i had to call the dealership numerous times to figure out what was going on. how can 2 other dealers find my car in 3 days and for him it takes 3 weeks?

He knew i had sold off my car already and was driving a rental (maybe that was my mistake?) but he should have known that if i'm waiting for 3 weeks, i'm going to inquire elsewhere.

anyway, he never let me explain to him that he gives very competitive prices and that i might still recommend him to others. but i think he needs an attitude adjustment first.

Edmund Cronin at Nick Alexander BMW. Elizabeth Alexander is boss. Check it out but beware!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Age has nothing to do with it when it comes to business transactions especially if you were calm and cool about it all, and from what I read you did nothing wrong! F-----him and go to the manager and calmly screw him over some more with what exactly he did and she should consider replacing him. Maybe he wont need to come back to the dealership except to clean out his desk...lol!

There is no need for him to start cussing and hanging up the phone on you--do you think you are the first? I doubt it. Im sure they do recorded phone conversations like most places do--see if they have that and have the manager go listen with you. Take his butt down, and go somewhere else to buy your BMW

·
Custom User
760 Posts
Sounds like he was indeed trying a bait-and-switch since the car was in fact available at other dealers. He was hoping you would be a young naive customer who will bite the bait, but when you figured it out and went to his manager, he got angry because it backfired. My guess is that it's not the first time he's played that game. Take your deposit and run.

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
You should absolutely contact the manager again and tell her how he's been treating you over the phone. He should not be representing any business with that attitude!

:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, go to his boss, if not boss's boss. Make sure you get your deposit though and buy it somewhere else. But also make sure you didn't appreciate it and very upset and angry of the whole situation. For all I care, you would be doing a favor to all the potential future customers by complaining about him and cause any disciplinary action to be taken taken against him, whatever that may be and to what extend. Age, schmage, BS! How can he claim you fudged him, if any he fudged him himself :) and you are the one who is hurting financially because you have to pay for the rental. If you see any trouble getting your money back, threaten them calling the BBB, and if that doesn't work the Attorney General or whatever works :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
hehe, you only called 3 dealers... i called 28!!! yes, 28 in the greater SB, LA, OC, SD county to find my 330i stick off-the-lot... there were 4 available, and the attitude of the guy whom i talked to was the determining factor... you can tell a lot about the salesman just through a 5 minute chat...

most said they'd run a search and get what i need... a handful actually called back...
one tried to sell me a 325i stick, and reminded me that they have the same engine...
2 dealers were too f------ busy to take my phone calls (BMW of Santa Monica being one of them)

and then there's Bruce from Continental motors... who happens to have the car I want, and told me over the phone that he can knock $xxx off sticker without second thought... when i went in to buy the car, it was totally hassle free, and (relatively easily) settled on $750 above invoice taking MACO into consideration, and even showed me their invoice.

·
No shirt-No shoes-No dice
129 Posts
I'll never understand why some dealers insist on these stupid tactics to sell their cars.

If someone had the nuts to curse at me on the phone, and I knew where he worked, I would've paid him a visit immediately and raised hell in the dealership, in front of everybody. How dare he talk to you like that?

If he can't handle the fact that you're smart enough to see through his lies, screw him. Now he lost a sale, and the b'fest community knows about him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hiphindu said:
so i understand that i'm young but it seems to me that he never took me seriously as a customer.
Age, if anything, should be a plus. If the salesperson has any sense, he or she should realize that building a relationship with a young buyer is more likely to be fruitful in the long-term than a relationship with a similarly situtated older buyer. Case in point: I have bought three cars from the same salesperson and have refered four other sales to him. I am about your age. Everytime I refer a sale to him, he sends me gift certificates for free dinners.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Gosh those are some ugly tactics. "It costs money to move cars"? Yeah, if they had already moved it and told you it was ready for pick-up, just like you wanted. Demand your money back and buy elsewhere.

I got mine at Shelly BMW (and they got it from another lot because I wanted what they didn't have) and I'd say the experience was positive. Not perfect but better than any other car dealer I know. The McKenna dealer had first crack at me but lost me because they wouldn't get a car off another dealer's lot (pushed only to sell on-hand inventory)!

·
your average JAMF
1,227 Posts
The boss is an "Alexander"? Coincidence or member of the ownership family? I'm betting the latter.

Your deposit is 100% refundable - BY LAW. No car purchased, no legal right to keep your deposit, period (at least in California, other states may vary). This asshat is the kind of prick that gives car salespeople a bad rep, and that's unfortunate.

You did nothing to deserve his completely inexcusable behavior.. write a nice, detailed, businesslike letter to the owner and get his ass canned. You should settle for nothing less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed Nick Alexander before buying my car somewhere else, the internet guy (Edmund) was rude and condescending in his email. He make it sound like 1000 over invoice was some kind of a miracle..that's when I said the hell with them..funny how their commerical on the radio made them sound all nice to deal with:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would definitely let the manager know about the internet guy's reaction to your initial complaint. As another poster already stated, a young buyer is a critical resource for potential future sales. You can be sure that I would be getting my deposit back, and sending a letter to the internet sales guy, copied to his manager complaining about his completely unprofessional attitude, and the fact that his actions have led you to buy a car somewhere else. If you get no response, it may be worthwhile to forward your letter to BMWNA, as well.

Brien

·
Registered
238 Posts
I sympathize with you; nobody deserves to be treated lke that (by anyone!). I don't mean this to be critical in a bad way, but I really do think that the next time something like this happens, you should stand up for yourself more robustly. Again, I do *not* mean this in a harsh way at all. I understand that it is good to be calm; it shows very good breeding on your part, but there is a line which you have to draw over which you get downright vindictive. For me, it would be anything which I considered abuse (not rudeness per se (that just makes me snappish), but abuse). If someone I'm giving money to had the gumption to treat me like that - call me up, verbally abuse me, and then hang up on me?!! - I'd have had his job. And I would make darn sure I was there to look him in the eye when he's fired just so he could make no mistake that it was me getting him back for crossing me. If someone who is giving me money (a boss, say) treated me like that, I'd leave for greener pastures. Life is too short for this sort of BS. If someone pushes you, push back harder - very soon, people will stop.

My 0.02 cents. In any case, I hope you get the car you want soon. The E90 is a great car! It's going to give you many years of fun! :thumbup:

cheers,
suntan

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
I think I have a different solution than others. Not everyone has a comfort zone of being confrontational, even when most would under the above circumstances. If you don't want to be confrontational then don't. It isn't worth the stress it will cause you to go forth. That is a very calm explanation that is plausible for some to follow.

However, they still have your deposit. You want to get that back so you are going to have to deal with them on some level before putting this situation in the rear view mirror. Managers or owners want feedback on their employees, bad or good, if they are truely interested in customer service being a priority. You do this with a letter that is detailed, I mean detailed to the point of quoting what was said. The purpose of this is too tell your story without having to answer questions in person or over the phone then your delivery will speak as loudly as your content. You don't want that, you want to explain what took place so as to elimnate any questions or doubt on the facts of your interaction. After reading a professional letter you will and should get a response.

If you are letter is detailed enough all you will have to do is just hear their apologies. Don't demand anyone lose their job or be fired on the spot. If that was your personality you would have already done that as soon as this happened.

Simply tell them as a manager/owner I'm sure you want feedback, positive or negative to evaluate your business and employees. State you have a difficult time coming up with anything positive to say about your dealership because of 1 individual. It is bad enough that this happened to myself, but it would be equally as bad if nothing was done to rectify this behavior as well as provide me with a tangible form of apology. I want nothing more than to feel good about the biggest purchase of my life other than my house. I want to have a life long dealer that I know I will always treat me first class both in price and service. You have that opportunity and I look forward to hearing from you and putting this behind us.

Or you can just go ballistic and go nose to nose with this guy and kick his ass.:mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
BMW customer service is a shame. if BMW sold any other car besides "the ultimate driving machine" one theyd be out of business. man that sucks hiphindu, but there are some good dealers out there, you just gotta find em and you psosting your story helps us weed out the bad ones. so thanks for that.

we should all write an email to Elizabeth Alexander to let her know what her salesman are doing. maybe she doesnt get the whole story there. and hopefully things like this, she'll realize will cost her business.

i just finished up a GB for the 335 coupe and youd be surprised at the responses i was getting for some dealers. some called me a liar and there were no others. and some just told me to f' off. yeah. lucky for us in so cal there are dealers every 5 miles. but we found a willing dealer and everything went fine. and i got him a lot more that the original 3 i promised him also.

BMW really needs to step into a Lexus dealership and see why there making so much damn money over there. yes, there are some shady lexus dealers but there are a lot more friendlier ones than BMW. its the opposite for BMW, its hard to find that good one.

·
2002 745LI
168 Posts
Next time dont be so nice with pricks like that, you are the customer and the customer is always right !! you should have spoke to the store manager about this asholl right away!

Good luck!

·
Registered
474 Posts
hiphindu said:
Nick Alexander BMW in Los Angeles has on crazy internet sales manager. I put a 2K down payment (search and acquire deposit) on a 06 325. A few days later he informed me (because it wasn't actually on the lot, he had to get it from another dealer) that it was sold the day before i put down my money.

He then tried to sell me up to a 330 which i did not appreciate (i thought he was trying to pull a bait and switch manuever). I calmly approached his manager by phone and discussed the situation with her. She reassured me that what the internet guy did was extremely unprofessional and that she will do everything she can to get that car. My deposit was also completely refundable.

So i call the internet guy a few days later and he goes to town on me. There was cursing, yelling, and borderline extortion i think. He told me that his manager ripped him a new a$$h*le and that any of his clients that were twice my age (i'm 25) would have never gone above him. I apologized (just to calm him down) but tried to explain that maybe he should be a little more accurate in describing the availability of vehicles he claims to have.

So three weeks have now gone by. No phone calls, no updates. the internet guy's manager said i would have a car by July 4th. I called 2 other bmw dealers in the LA area (one in camarillo and one in glendale). Both managed to find my car (although i don't know if they had it in there possession per se) and offered me a lower price than Nick Alexander.

Needless to say, I requested from my internet guy a refund on my deposit. After a long pause on the phone, he told me that i really fudged him over, BIG TIME. He said he would be surprised if i could make it much farther in this world conducting business as I just had. it costs money to move cars! he said that he's out of town so i would have to wait to get a refund on my money but since i'm such good friends with his manager, i should just call her directly for it.

before i could explain anything he had hung up on me.

so i understand that i'm young but it seems to me that he never took me seriously as a customer. i guess a 2K deposit is not serious enough?!? he never called. no updates. i had to call the dealership numerous times to figure out what was going on. how can 2 other dealers find my car in 3 days and for him it takes 3 weeks?

He knew i had sold off my car already and was driving a rental (maybe that was my mistake?) but he should have known that if i'm waiting for 3 weeks, i'm going to inquire elsewhere.

anyway, he never let me explain to him that he gives very competitive prices and that i might still recommend him to others. but i think he needs an attitude adjustment first.

Edmund Cronin at Nick Alexander BMW. Elizabeth Alexander is boss. Check it out but beware!
clearly this happened because you are desi....j/k..im desi too.....

I know the feeling of being young aged at the dealers. I remember when i went to go pick up the E46, i had a tough time even test driving the car (i was 20). Finally after days of negiotating (through email) I went in to buy the car. Give them one check to pay the car fully and i got the sense of feeling that they might think the check is fake or x,y,z reason why not to trust me.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts