BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just drving back from the ocean today and noticed an accident scene that was clearing up.
a Bimmer was hit from behind. and smashed all over.
i am completly surpried that the driver was not seriosly hurt. as i can tell She's was german too.(see the name in artcicle)

Also went to Cape Lookout park in tillamok saw about 10 Bimmers there(on the lot). All driven by Russian/ukrainian youth. thank god none of mine compadres got hurt.

GREAT DAY.

heres a link to the news article.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=124334147299859300

P.S. that first post is mine too.

Attachments

·
Keeping it surreal
43,316 Posts
Ya gotta love this part....

"Upon impact, a 16-year-old girl who was a passenger in the Ford Expedition was thrown from the SUV and seriously injured"

Ummmmmmm.....SOMEBODY wasn`t wearing her seat belt....

·
Registered
196 Posts
"Upon impact, a 16-year-old girl who was a passenger in the Ford Expedition was thrown from the SUV and seriously injured"

Ummmmmmm.....SOMEBODY wasn`t wearing her seat belt....
Ugh. I wish people would LEARN from these things, it isn't as if people haven't been thrown from cars before, wear your seatbelts, guys.

Though at the same time, I find seatbelt laws to be silly.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
American cars all have those obnoxious seat belt chimes..........one's gotta be deaf to not realise it.

Nice to see the safety of the 3er cabriolet. Strong windscreen and popped-up rear rollover bars proved that the engineering worked.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
She was thrown for the SUV and did not die... she so lucky and I bet she will wear one from now on

·
Keeping it surreal
43,316 Posts
She was thrown for the SUV and did not die... she so lucky and I bet she will wear one from now on
I`ve been driving for a long time, and it`s amazing how many people I`ve met over the years (but not quite as many these days) who think that it`s better to be "thrown clear" in the event of a wreck....those same knuckleheads probably think that airbags are gonna save `em nowadays, and *still* won`t wear belts....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm always nervous when riding with my top down. Especially on the interstate. Seeing how intact the passenger compartment is makes me feel a little safer. I've always wondered is it better to ride with the windows all the way down if your top is down? Or is it better to ride with the windows up when the top is down? I thought if you rode with them up you have a larger chance of getting injured due to broken glass.?.? But if you ride with the windows up it can block accident debris from coming into the cabin.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm always nervous when riding with my top down. Especially on the interstate. Seeing how intact the passenger compartment is makes me feel a little safer. I've always wondered is it better to ride with the windows all the way down if your top is down? Or is it better to ride with the windows up when the top is down? I thought if you rode with them up you have a larger chance of getting injured due to broken glass.?.? But if you ride with the windows up it can block accident debris from coming into the cabin.....
i've heard of serious injures even a decapination when driving a convertable with the windows up.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
i've heard of serious injures even a decapination when driving a convertable with the windows up.
It seems that when it's your turn to buy the farm, little of what you do matters. A soccer mom was barreling down one of the main throughways here at high speed in her big fat Suburban, saw she was about to miss her exit, tried to swerve into it, lost control, hit the base of a pedestrian ramp, cracked her skull. Her brain, or most of it, was found about 20 feet from where the vehicle finally came to rest.

But yeah, if you want a quick death, go recklessly racing down the street in a convertible with no seatbelts on. The dean of the School of Medicine at the local University did that last year; his body was found about 40 feet from where his 2009 Bimmer convertible finally slid to a stop. Not even these fine cars are idiot proof. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think you need to explain this statement. :eeps:
Sorry, I haven't been on to reply, but basically I dislike legislating behavior whenever practical. Murder, theft, rape, etc. have a clearly defined purpose, obviously, but seatbelt laws? If you think about it from a practical standpoint, the statistics for seatbelt use are really fantastic, and anyone NOT wearing a seatbelt at this day in age should clearly know the risks involved, and as sentient human beings, we should have the ability to take that risk.

·
Fully Dysfunctional
2,372 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been on to reply, but basically I dislike legislating behavior whenever practical. Murder, theft, rape, etc. have a clearly defined purpose, obviously, but seatbelt laws? If you think about it from a practical standpoint, the statistics for seatbelt use are really fantastic, and anyone NOT wearing a seatbelt at this day in age should clearly know the risks involved, and as sentient human beings, we should have the ability to take that risk.
Same holds true for motorcycle helmets, but there are people who also believe we need to be legislated...It keeps people in jobs, and others from dying or being injured needlessly, when they comply... :dunno:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,316 Posts
Same holds true for motorcycle helmets, but there are people who also believe we need to be legislated...It keeps people in jobs, and others from dying or being injured needlessly, when they comply... :dunno:
Here in The People`s Republic Of New Jersey, they`re trying to pass legislation to force you to wear a helmet in the shower....

Just kidding.......(maybe not)

·
Registered
199 Posts
How hard is it to buckle up wjen you get in the car, a seat belt can save your life and it is so easy to do, it is crazy how many people dont buckle up and get intp car accidents and di bc they werent wearing a seat belt

·
Keeping it surreal
43,316 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts