BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 BMW 525 standard suspension

I recently replaced most of the rear suspension components as the originals were pretty worn. The shocks were replaced with Sachs; no problem other than squeaking noises now (see separate thread on that issue).

Replaced the rear ball joints with lemforder brand.

Replaced rear control arms, traction strut, integral links, and sway bar links with generic brand from.

Rear end was aligned.

Now the ride is absolutely horrible! It is so stiff that it bounces all over the place rather than absorbing bumps. In addition, the rear end makes banging / thumping sounds anytime a bump in the road is encountered. Driving it is unbearable. I've posted a video of the sounds emanating from the rear. I laid my cell phone in the rear seat and shot video as I drove around the neighborhood.

Thinking it was the ball joints, I replaced them again, with lemforder again. That did not help. I went back and loosened every bolt / nut and made sure to tighten them to the proper torque spec again too. Still no improvement. I even closed myself in the trunk and had my wife drive around the neighborhood but that did not allow me to pinpoint where the sound is coming from like I had hoped it would.

Any idea what part(s) would most likely cause the super stiff ride and banging / thumping sound? The only thing I know of to do next is replace each part one-by-one with lemforder brand, but that will get really expensive really quickly. Plus, I'd hate to have to do the job all over again.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Are you sure you ordered the correct struts ? Not the ones for sport suspension. Control arms have nothing to do with bump compression and rebound ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Sachs 310245 which is for cars without the sports suspension.

The horribly stiff ride happened after replacing the control arms, strut arms, ball joints, integral links, and sway bar links. I then replaced the shocks, which had no effect.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Yes, Sachs 310245 which is for cars without the sports suspension.

The horribly stiff ride happened after replacing the control arms, strut arms, ball joints, integral links, and sway bar links. I then replaced the shocks, which had no effect.
Did you load the suspension prior to tightening the swing arms , control arms and the integral links ??

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Did you load the suspension prior to tightening the swing arms , control arms and the integral links ??
Hmmmm. I can imagine what a suspension would feel like if all the bolts were tightened with the wheels hanging to the bottom... Would feel like concrete.

Like they said on Mythbusters, sounds Plausible... :yikes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loaded the suspension as I was supposed to before torquing the nuts / bolts. I used the write-up at http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/swing_arm_ball_joints_procedure.htm for the ball joints and integral links, and the How-Tos on Pelican Parts for the control arm, strut arm, and sway bar links. As I replaced everything at once I waited until the end to tighten everything up to spec, after jacking up the swing arm until the car raised off of the jack stand.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Loaded the suspension as I was supposed to before torquing the nuts / bolts. I used the write-up at http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/swing_arm_ball_joints_procedure.htm for the ball joints and integral links, and the How-Tos on Pelican Parts for the control arm, strut arm, and sway bar links. As I replaced everything at once I waited until the end to tighten everything up to spec, after jacking up the swing arm until the car raised off of the jack stand.
I just listened to your video . Sounds to me like something's loose . Double check all your work and make sure each and every bolt is tight .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I did that. I loosened every nut / bolt and re-tightened them up to torque specs all over again (with suspension loaded). I too thought something was loose, which is why I did that. I am at my wits end on what else to try, which is why I posted here. I figured if anyone could help me it would be y'all.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Bearing possibly ??

Try this,, get the car up on stands . put the jack under the rear tire , and jerk the jack up and down . Maybe you might see or hear something..

Gotta question ,,, Did you remove the old integral link ball joint and install the new one ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, replaced the ball joints and integral links with new. I don't think it's a bearing. With the wheel off the ground I am unable to detect any play at all when trying to rock the wheel back and forth with hands at 6 and 12 o'clock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts