BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on so I hooked up my reader which came back with a faulty secondary air pump. This air pump sends emissions that have aready gone through your engine back into your engine again to kill more of the toxins. I thought they quit doing this kind of thing back in the 80's. I'm really pissed that this horse power killer is on my 97 z3. So to the question this thing cost like 3-400 dollars and I don't want it on my car to begin with. If I remove it will it screw up my computer? Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Didn't this get beat to death on roadfly?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Air This

Secondary air pump,leans the mixture for around 58 seconds,on a cold start,only fresh air enters the pre filter,than under a positive discharge through a check valve mounted on your exhaust port to show a lean mixture for the mask on the o/2 sensor until warm up.NOW I AM GOING TO CUT MY FRAKING LAWN!

·
Registered
111 Posts
ARC///M said:
Secondary air pump,leans the mixture for around 58 seconds,on a cold start,only fresh air enters the pre filter,than under a positive discharge through a check valve mounted on your exhaust port to show a lean mixture for the mask on the o/2 sensor until warm up.NOW I AM GOING TO CUT MY FRAKING LAWN!
Hmm...Could this pump be the cause of what seems like the car is running rough at idle, but only at cold startup. It lasts less then 1 minute and then it runs perfectly...

Found out the pump was not working after I bought the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts