Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Dream Green or die
713 Posts

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
i just got a new 325is and it has 189hp i want 300-350hp what should i put in/upgrade
I heard that an M3 badge and a carbon CAI kit adds atleast 150hp's! BombSquad91 is building himself some Crinkle Paint dashboard ala Westcoast Customs that would definitely increase the torque on his "whip"!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Congrats on reading the brochure

i think you should upgrade:you're researching skills....

best bet IMHO
I suggest you "upgrade" your grammar.

Directed towards the OP, I'd be happy to help you if you give us a little more information. 1. Is the suspension already upgraded? It'll give you the most fun for your dollar.
2. Can you handle the power it has right now? Sure, you can push the gas and go, but why do you need 350 horsepower? The people who truly need that kind of power don't post that sort of a question in a general forum, you'll find them in the forced induction section.
3. What's your budget? You can get 350 reliable horsepower for about $5k. Under that, you're cheating yourself and your car.
Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suggest you "upgrade" your grammar.

Directed towards the OP, I'd be happy to help you if you give us a little more information. 1. Is the suspension already upgraded? It'll give you the most fun for your dollar.
2. Can you handle the power it has right now? Sure, you can push the gas and go, but why do you need 350 horsepower? The people who truly need that kind of power don't post that sort of a question in a general forum, you'll find them in the forced induction section.
3. What's your budget? You can get 350 reliable horsepower for about $5k. Under that, you're cheating yourself and your car.
Good luck!

1) i think the suspension is stock, but what would upgrading the suspension do?
2) i want to race this car at the local track and i like to go fast haha, but this was my second post on the forum and i dont know what i'm doing yet haha
3)i dont have a budget, but i dont want to spend all the money i can on this haha i want to get the most bang for my buck....i was actually thinking about dropping a better engine in it, should i do that or upgrade the one i have?

thanks

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
Wow. Do some researching into what you have, read everything. Go drive so you see what you like. Then. Buy a mustang since you just want to go straight.

·
Speed is Zen
9,754 Posts
1) i think the suspension is stock, but what would upgrading the suspension do?
2) i want to race this car at the local track and i like to go fast haha, but this was my second post on the forum and i dont know what i'm doing yet haha
3)i dont have a budget, but i dont want to spend all the money i can on this haha i want to get the most bang for my buck....i was actually thinking about dropping a better engine in it, should i do that or upgrade the one i have?

thanks
Learn to use the power you have, then step up to an ///M3 or an E46 330

·
Registered
482 Posts
OK cheep way to get 350hp out of your BMW ( I am one of very few here that won't lynch you for this) There is a kit out there to drop a GM small block in to the E-36. You can go down to your local Chevy dealer and get a 350 crate motor that puts out what you are looking for around 3k. Would be a very street able and run on pumped gas.
I don't think you could get to 300hp for 5k out of the BMW. If done so it's not going to blow up every weekend. A good (built for the E-36) turbo kit runs around 6500. Thats just the kit. It takes a ton of internal mods to make these engins hold up to boost of higher levels need to make 300+ hp

·
'94 Tre-Deuce-Nickel-izzy
668 Posts
CRINKLE PAINT!!!!!!
Every ounce on crinkle paint applied to your car adds 6.387whp.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
:bustingup

350hp on a budget?

Why do people get these random HP numbers in their heads?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Buy an M3:tsk:
In USA the m3 doesn't get 300 whatever hp ya'll have (I am assuming that Canada has the same as in Europe)

OK cheep way to get 350hp out of your BMW ( I am one of very few here that won't lynch you for this) There is a kit out there to drop a GM small block in to the E-36. You can go down to your local Chevy dealer and get a 350 crate motor that puts out what you are looking for around 3k. Would be a very street able and run on pumped gas.
I don't think you could get to 300hp for 5k out of the BMW. If done so it's not going to blow up every weekend. A good (built for the E-36) turbo kit runs around 6500. Thats just the kit. It takes a ton of internal mods to make these engins hold up to boost of higher levels need to make 300+ hp
I agree 100%. I would rather have a more reliable engine with 300+hp than a engine with 250-275hp (Because thats what you will probably end up with shooting for 350). The 2.5L engine stretched to the limit and lacking in reliabilty because of it is not better than a engine that easily produces 300+ no problem. But most will say mixing BMW with Chevy doesn't make sense. But if you plan on racing it, my opinion is go with the LS1 or LS2 swap. Although it will probably cost slightly more than 3k by the time you are done.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You bought the wrong car if you wan't cheap horsepower. Buy an old F body and a small block, they're like assholes and opinions, everybody has one. I had one with at least 400hp and all it did was make noise and tire smoke. Yeah it was fast, but it didn't stop or corner. I've enjoyed my little 190hp I6 and put more miles on it in the 2 years I've had it than the 22 years I had my 68 Camaro. Just my $.02:soapbox:

·
Registered
193 Posts
You bought the wrong car if you wan't cheap horsepower. Buy an old F body and a small block, they're like assholes and opinions, everybody has one. I had one with at least 400hp and all it did was make noise and tire smoke. Yeah it was fast, but it didn't stop or corner. I've enjoyed my little 190hp I6 and put more miles on it in the 2 years I've had it than the 22 years I had my 68 Camaro. Just my $.02:soapbox:
That is why you should definately focus less on horsepower and more on lightening your ride and suspension and brakes. On another thread I remember someone saying how much fun a car with 200hp and 2,500lbs can be on the track. Lightening the load will help the acceleration along with the handling and will not reduce engine life. Then if you get serious drop an ls1 in there and make a car that will haul @$$ and handle like a small European car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts