BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going forum, I haven't been on here in months, I hope someone can help with this issue , I've had my 2003 745li for 2 years now with no big issues except this one. After a month of owning the car on a really hot day after driving for over an hour on the highway in traffic on a really hot day here in Miami the engine starts idling rough, sputtering I press on gas and it's sputtering clunking etc. like it's running on 2 cylinders or getting no gas, I'm able to press gas in out floor it and it moves enough for me to pull over out of the way. I shut it off, start it back up and it's smooth as new until it does it again 2 minutes later, I then shut it down for about an hour to let it cool while I grab something to eat. I get in and drive home smooth as silk.

No check engine light!

During the cooler winter months that year it didn't do it again.

Come summer last year it did it 3 times throughout the summer, same scenario, really hot day after driving a while then sitting in traffic.

Now yesterday was the first really hot day here for the year so far (88 degrees) I went out after work, hit traffic after driving 45min it starts sputtering in traffic, I pull in to gas station for like 15min to cool off and presto like always, smooth as silk.

Help! Now I'm worried I can't drive long distances in the heat, when it's cold/cool I never have issues, 140k on the dash. And no check engine light, I have a code reader and got no codes either.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
How do I check the running temp? Is there a hidden menu item? Wouldn't I get a coolant temp warning on the display?
Theres a hidden menu temp, search for it and you'll find how to get to it on your car! Also if you have a mobile phone it's worth it to record the event and post a video here. Check the coolant level also once the car is cold, and as well take off the cap and run the car, see if you see coolant flowing into the tank!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water temp on the highway this morning was 84-87c, in traffic 90-93c.
It was 70 degrees on the way in this morning, I'll check this afternoon on the way home when it will be in the high 80's.
Any ideas anyone? If a car is going to overheat the ambient temp doesn't determine it, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.