BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get concerned about the effects of the super-hot weather on our cars here in the Northeast. Luckily, the air is moist, but I'm sure bushings, paint, interior components, lubrication points all will suffer.

Anybody else concerned?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
RChoudry said:
I'm starting to get concerned about the effects of the super-hot weather on our cars here in the Northeast. Luckily, the air is moist, but I'm sure bushings, paint, interior components, lubrication points all will suffer.

Anybody else concerned?
These cars (or their prototypes) were tested in DEATH VALLEY during the hottest days of the year for months at a time, running at extreme engine and car speeds LONG before they're released for general consumption.

Concerned? Hardly.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
atyclb said:
Those Northeast summers can be brutal, eh Nate?
:flipoff: :flipoff:

this year we are like a norhtern version of Texas:(

·
Oh yeah, she's my baby...
6,629 Posts
Try living in Phoenix. We're what hot is all about. I've had a 328i for 3.5 years and have never had a heat related problem. Actually I would think you'd be better off in the moist heat versus a dry heat. I'm sure any sort of rubber components do better with some humidity. Then again I could be wrong.

G

·
Not to defend him too much (I agree, it was a silly question) but it has been absurdly hot on the east coast this summer. When it's consistently high 90s with high humidity, it gets oppressive.

Still...

·
10,856 Posts
Re: Re: Hot weather

The HACK said:

These cars (or their prototypes) were tested in DEATH VALLEY during the hottest days of the year for months at a time, running at extreme engine and car speeds LONG before they're released for general consumption.

Concerned? Hardly.
Hopefully they'll do that before changing the fan design next time around. :p

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
TD said:
Not to defend him too much (I agree, it was a silly question) but it has been absurdly hot on the east coast this summer. When it's consistently high 90s with high humidity, it gets oppressive.

Still...
Ah...I'd like to see the California Bashers now.

I look out my window, it's sunny, clear sky and temperature in the low 80's/high 70's by the beach.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Don't old-car collectors always look for cars stored in dry places like CA or AZ? Planes are also put in long-term storage out in the Mojave desert.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:

Ah...I'd like to see the California Bashers now.

I look out my window, it's sunny, clear sky and temperature in the low 80's/high 70's by the beach.
The summers have been amazingly mild the last few years. But that's not to say we haven't had our share of 100F+ weeks too.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...with hindsight....it does sound like a silly question.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
You my friend are WAY TOO worried about your car . . . no wonder why you fit into this place so well . . . your like the rest of us :) :)

BTW - Are you gonna answer my PM ?

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
It has been hot as hell way up here in Finland all summer - 28 days over 25°C, 3 days over 30°C - and I am more worried about my lawn than my BMW! This heat has however, melted my snow tires ... still haven't taken them off. :confused:

Although the question was a bit silly, I would actually be more concerned with cold weather than hot weather. TD may find that silly as well!

Patrick

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
TD said:
:D :D :D

My BMW survived three days at -35°C last winter (parked outside as well for cripes sake!) and I was a lot more concerned with that than the two days of +35°C. I was also freezing my butt off.

Anyway, it is a lot easier to get a car to a cool-er place than get it from an ice cold place to somewhere warm.

I will shut up about this topic now ... :D

Patrick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.