BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing research on hotels in various cities like Zurich, Vienna, Salzburg, Florence, Venice etc, I realized that many of them do not have free parking. They charge around $20/day. I mainly looked at Hilton, Sheraton, Mariott etc and believe I can get rooms for $100 or less on Priceline.

Are there any nice hotel recommendations (4+ star) in $100 range with complimentary parking? I would be travelling next month.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,338 Posts
If you are looking for hotels in the Venice area with free on site parking you need to look in Lido (the barrier island across from Venice, reachable via car ferry and water bus) and Mestre on the mainland. Do a search on those 2 locations here on Bimmerfest and you find the names of hotels that some us has stayed in.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
Suraj said:
While doing research on hotels in various cities like Zurich, Vienna, Salzburg, Florence, Venice etc, I realized that many of them do not have free parking. They charge around $20/day. I mainly looked at Hilton, Sheraton, Mariott etc and believe I can get rooms for $100 or less on Priceline.

Are there any nice hotel recommendations (4+ star) in $100 range with complimentary parking? I would be travelling next month.
In general (with the exception just discussed re Venice) most if not all hotels charge for parking.

My concern isn't whether I am paying for parking - I just want secure SELF-PARK when I am driving my new car.

Is paying for parking such a big deal?

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
Jspira said:
Is paying for parking such a big deal?
Actually, yes it is.
A point that is very hard to understand, for some people. That someone would pay $40+ thousand for a car and hesitate about $20 to $35 a day.
I for one, see a direct connection between my concern about pennies, and my ability to pay for a $40k car. Not the most logical, but it works for me.
I understand that the Hotel Uhland in Munich has free parking.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
ddtan said:
Actually, yes it is.
A point that is very hard to understand, for some people. That someone would pay $40+ thousand for a car and hesitate about $20 to $35 a day.
I for one, see a direct connection between my concern about pennies, and my ability to pay for a $40k car. Not the most logical, but it works for me.
I understand that the Hotel Uhland in Munich has free parking.
Actually, my thinking was more along the lines of, if the parking is "included" you are probably paying for it anyway in the room rate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paying for parking is not such a big deal. During the 2 week trip, I would be paying around $350 on hotel parking alone. Would have preferred to spend this money somewhere else.

What surprises me most is that parking is free in most US hotels. But not in Europe. Maybe there are other surprises too.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes parking is not free in Europe ... I booked most of my hotel on priceline.com with assistance from www.biddingfortravel.com I got 4* Marriot in Munich, Amsterdam, Belgium for less than $65 including taxes. In Munich i did street parking ... after seeing lot of 5,6,7 (yes new one parked on the road). Same thing in Amsterdam... We reached around 3 in midnight in Belgium so we parked in front of Marriot without realizing it's no parking zone (no ticket though)... I will say if you are parking any where away from Germany don't hesitate to pay for parking it's worth every penny especially Italy. What are you picking ?

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
Actually, there are good deals and less good deals. It is not always merely a matter of shifting and hiding costs. The dealer who sells at $XXXX over invoice, vs the dealer who sells at MSRP. Usually the person who shops, doesn't end up paying for it some other way. What that person gives in return is his time and effort.
One can understand that with cramped conditions and lack of space in Europe, most of the market can get away with charging for parking

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
Suraj said:
Paying for parking is not such a big deal. During the 2 week trip, I would be paying around $350 on hotel parking alone. Would have preferred to spend this money somewhere else.

What surprises me most is that parking is free in most US hotels. But not in Europe. Maybe there are other surprises too.
Most of the hotels I've been to in the U.S. charge for parking. A few have had a choice of valet parking (which you pay for) v. distant parking lot parking for free. I prefer to park my own, thank you very much.

But if you walk through Manhattan or drive through San Fran or L.A., and enquire at any hotel, you'll find almost all charge for parking.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Try to book a hotel on the outskirt of a city. You may have a better chance to catch a free parking. I will be staying at Four Points Olympiapark on the coming ED by redeeming my SPG points. It offers free parking. My parking is truly free! :)

One additional thought, 2 weeks of trip can cost $350 or more. That's a month of loan payment or lease payment. It can be critical. Sorry, a finance person here talking.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
mason said:
Try to book a hotel on the outskirt of a city.
This idea would be counter balanced if one books a hotel and it takes an additional 40 minutes to get ANYWHERE.

The area around OlyDorf is not the outskirts by the way. Not even close.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
mason said:
One additional thought, 2 weeks of trip can cost $350 or more. That's a month of loan payment or lease payment. It can be critical. Sorry, a finance person here talking.
Not that many cars (esp. BMWs) can be leased for $350 let alone financed for $350/mo.:dunno:

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Be careful

Suraj said:

You hit the nail on the head. "In Europe" is not the same as "In USA". I think you are in for many surprises. Most of the rest of the world is not like the USA.

From my own personal, and perhaps limited experience, all the areas I have travelled to outside of North America typically charge for parking. Land is not free (but we live in the land of the free, so does that count?).

And I echo Jspira - many hotels, even out of the cities, are now charging for parking. I was in Seattle, and many of the Seattle and Bellevue hotels were charging for parking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the informative replies. It has set my expectations right for parking which was the root cause for my original concern.

saurav27 said:
What are you picking ?
Titanium Silver/Black 530iA

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
chrischeung said:
You hit the nail on the head. "In Europe" is not the same as "In USA". I think you are in for many surprises. Most of the rest of the world is not like the USA.

From my own personal, and perhaps limited experience, all the areas I have travelled to outside of North America typically charge for parking. Land is not free (but we live in the land of the free, so does that count?).
Plenty of areas in the U.S. charge for parking. Best example would be Manhattan where parking can easily cost over $30 a day. Residents often pay over $400 a month for parking.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Jspira said:
Not that many cars (esp. BMWs) can be leased for $350 let alone financed for $350/mo.:dunno:
Well, that's why the key word is "or more". Anyway, I do see leasing offer on Sunday Times once in a while.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
mason said:
Well, that's why the key word is "or more". Anyway, I do see leasing offer on Sunday Times once in a while.
The "or more" referred to the cost of parking but I guess you could stretch it to the lease payment. However, unless you put significant money down (a bad idea for a lease), there's not really anything you could get for $350/mo in a BMW unless the dealer is not making ANY money on the deal (an unlikely scenario).

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Jspira said:
The "or more" referred to the cost of parking but I guess you could stretch it to the lease payment. However, unless you put significant money down (a bad idea for a lease), there's not really anything you could get for $350/mo in a BMW unless the dealer is not making ANY money on the deal (an unlikely scenario).
Point taken, Jspira. Now, regarding the location of the Olympiapark. You are saying it is not even outskirt, you mean it is way out of city? What is the time required for U-Bahn to reach Marieplatz?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
mason said:
Point taken, Jspira. Now, regarding the location of the Olympiapark. You are saying it is not even outskirt, you mean it is way out of city? What is the time required for U-Bahn to reach Marieplatz?
Actually (and this is good news) OlyDorf is way IN the city. It's a quick U-Bahn ride to Marienplatz. That's what I meant by not being on the outskirts.

It's right across from BMW's hq btw.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Jspira said:
Actually (and this is good news) OlyDorf is way IN the city. It's a quick U-Bahn ride to Marienplatz. That's what I meant by not being on the outskirts.

It's right across from BMW's hq btw.
Perfect!! This is what I anticipate base on what the map indicates to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts