BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Hotel: Doorman and porters-- EUR 1 per bag.

Others-- nothing unless you get special service from the concierge. In that case give him/her EUR 5 - 10 depending on the value of the service. (Example--the concierge gets you two EUR 40 tickets to tonight's symphony. Give him EUR 10 extra.)

Valet parking: Explain the key problem and that you want to drive the car to the parking area. Give the doorman/parking person EUR 10 as if they were doing the parking for you. You'll have a friend for the duration of your stay. Plus, your car is worth it. :D

Restaurants: 10%, but read the Wiki for other opinions.

Cabs: 10%

Rolf: EUR 10 or 10% over the quoted rate, whichever is more. :angel:

(All of this will be debated endlessly. The discussion in the Wiki describes some of the exceptions and alternate views.)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I lived in Germany for 3 years, albeit some years ago, and found that in restaurants they really don't expect you to tip as you would in the US. Rounding the bill up so that little change is necessary is usually appreciated as most of the wait staff collect payment at your table and it is usually in cash. Example: if the bill was 26.50 Euro, make it 30 Euro. This can sometime be more than 10% so even making it 27 or 28 Euro is OK. I believe part of the 18% that is added to every bill is somehow split among the wait staff but I could be wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.