BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue... or if nobody bothers to actually use the Hotspot data ... or is it just me (likely).

So, I did a PCD for my 750i and the CA who went over everything there said she "activated" the hotspot. Not ever having had this in a car before I took her at her word, did a quick Speedtest check (with the app, not the site) and got good download speeds, so I thought "great". Never tried a website, as I assumed it would be fine. Bad move.

Well it turns out a few days later when I went to actually go to a website it would not load. Got on the Samsung tablet in the back and tried to load a page there and it redirects to myvehicle.att.com but then gives an SSL error and nothing loads.

Worked with a BMW Genius at my dealership today and long story short discovered that the myvehicle.att.com page is supposed to auto-load and auto-populate information about the vehicle and walk the customer through setting up their account (first 3 months free). So I tried to do it manually on my phone and a computer and it seemed to work fine (after we called BMW to get the "vehicle phone number' which is not provided anywhere and which I assume is supposed to auto-populate. Anyway, got all the way to the end and looks like it will work but then get a cryptic error message on ATT site. Says to call a number. I call it, they turn me over to BMW and long story short, basically no one knows what is going on

I'm in IT and I "know" what is wrong, but the problem is getting the right person that can fix it. It is some kind of authentication/database problem. Basically my car is not in the ATT database yet so that when it reaches out to ATT it does not allows a connection to set things up in the car. Setting it up on the site independently also fails because it must be looking for that database match and doesn't' find it.

So question is, is it a BMW problem for not sending ATT the info they need, or an ATT problem for not getting their stuff together and sticking the data where it needs to go.

Anyway, has anyone else had these kinds of problems getting the data in their 750 hotspot to work? If so did you do a PCD as well? Just trying to gather some info here. But I presume I'll have to get this kicked up the food chain in the next few days to someone "in the know" that get this fixed. First line level support just can't do anything about these types of low level errors unfortunately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,
I am having a very similar issue as you are describing. I am getting a lot of help from "my" dealership to solve this puzzle. But we do not have a solution yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me know how it goes and I'll report back here as well. Hopefully one of us gets it figured out before the warranty is up LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue... or if nobody bothers to actually use the Hotspot data ... or is it just me (likely).

So, I did a PCD for my 750i and the CA who went over everything there said she "activated" the hotspot. Not ever having had this in a car before I took her at her word, did a quick Speedtest check (with the app, not the site) and got good download speeds, so I thought "great". Never tried a website, as I assumed it would be fine. Bad move.

Well it turns out a few days later when I went to actually go to a website it would not load. Got on the Samsung tablet in the back and tried to load a page there and it redirects to myvehicle.att.com but then gives an SSL error and nothing loads.

Worked with a BMW Genius at my dealership today and long story short discovered that the myvehicle.att.com page is supposed to auto-load and auto-populate information about the vehicle and walk the customer through setting up their account (first 3 months free). So I tried to do it manually on my phone and a computer and it seemed to work fine (after we called BMW to get the "vehicle phone number' which is not provided anywhere and which I assume is supposed to auto-populate. Anyway, got all the way to the end and looks like it will work but then get a cryptic error message on ATT site. Says to call a number. I call it, they turn me over to BMW and long story short, basically no one knows what is going on

I'm in IT and I "know" what is wrong, but the problem is getting the right person that can fix it. It is some kind of authentication/database problem. Basically my car is not in the ATT database yet so that when it reaches out to ATT it does not allows a connection to set things up in the car. Setting it up on the site independently also fails because it must be looking for that database match and doesn't' find it.

So question is, is it a BMW problem for not sending ATT the info they need, or an ATT problem for not getting their stuff together and sticking the data where it needs to go.

Anyway, has anyone else had these kinds of problems getting the data in their 750 hotspot to work? If so did you do a PCD as well? Just trying to gather some info here. But I presume I'll have to get this kicked up the food chain in the next few days to someone "in the know" that get this fixed. First line level support just can't do anything about these types of low level errors unfortunately.
I had the same issue. Turns out the hotspot/wifi hardware in the car was not functioning properly and had to be replaced. It took many frustrating rounds of back and forth and trips to the dealer. The part has been replaced and I'm still having the issue. Pretty much a nightmare.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, now I'm starting to wonder has anyone gotten this feature to work? That's crazy ey replaced it and it still fails, which makes me think it was one of those "dealer doesn't know what else to do so let's start replacing parts and see what happens" type situations. So doesn't sound like it's just going to magically go away. Think I'm going to have to demand the dealership get someone from Bmw that was part of the team that actually programmed the code for this functionality to review the situation to pinpoint the failure point so it can be resolved (for us all)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My case is similar to what itpbrian is describing. The internet worked perfectly for a few months. When it stopped suddenly (the internet connection was completely down), it was debugged as a TeleMatics module failure (a fault code indicated that) and that was replaced. Since that time I had the same issue as described by the rest - all web access is redirected to myvehicle.att.com

·
Registered
219 Posts
I spent 3 hours trying to get the wifi to work this evening and no luck.

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,486 Posts
Too bad you all are East coast, if you were West coast I would say bring it up to us; both of us that are G12 certified would gladly dig into this issue if we had the car in our bay... :cry:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok several hours later after calling Att they turned on the 3 month trial. At that point no luck. I was trying everything!! I then went to a section and changed the password and it worked. So now I have to get the Samsung tablet to connect. Anyone have any luck setting up the tablet in the back of the car?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So when you say "it worked" do you mean you were on your phone/etc in the car, connected to the car's "hot spot" network and you could go pull up a web page on your phone?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got the Hotspot to activate and sign in under the wifi password!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, to update my own thread, my dealer in connection with the Performance Center Delivery folk (where I took delivery) managed to work with AT&T and got it working. I now have internet in the car. Yeah!. But... there is always a but. AT&T "hacked" it to get it to work... they did something internally and linked it to my myvehicle.att.com account I had set up, but in some weird way so I can't see the vehicle when I log into the account. Spent over an hour on the phone with AT&T and they don't know why I can't see it. If I try to add it it says it is already activated and so can't be added. They think maybe it does not appear because it is in the trial, but that doesn't make any sense, I should still be able to see it and see how much data I've used. At least it is working, but this whole aspect of the car has been a gigantic cluster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is an idea - please don't blame me if this goes wrong... In my case I already have an ATT account. What I did was I moved the special phone number to my main ATT mobile share account. Once I did that, the car does not show up in the myvehicle.att.com account. In case you have an ATT account with mobile share type account you are better off adding that phone number there anyway. So you should think about this - once you do this you will see that phone number in your phone number list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts