BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this is not the right place for this question. I'm also a first-time used car buyer so I don't know too much about it.

I'm looking at a 1999 BMW 318IS. I haven't gone to check out the car yet but I called the current owner and when I asked for the VIN he informed me that the car has been issued Rebuild Status (it is reflected in the price).

He told me though, that the only damage to the vehicle in it's accident was the right headlight and the front right panel of the frame and that there was no mechanical damage and that BMWs get Rebuild Status from accidents of this magnitude.

I always thought rebuild status meant that a car was damaged to the point it was undriveable, whether that includes a panel hanging off the side or not I don't know.

Is he likely lying to me, or can a car get Rebuild Status from small amounts of frame damage like this? Are there any papers or anything I can ask him to see that will show what the extent of the damage was?

He also says he has pictures of the damage if that matters.

Thank you for any help you can give.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
Unless you`re getting it for like $500, walk away....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never heard that term used here. There is salvage title which was a car totaled that still are rebuilt at times.

My old Volvo was T boned three years before I got my X5 and any frame damage gets noted on the car fax and no BMW dealer wanted to touch it or would touch it for half on its value otherwise.

In my case I made a friend a good deal and all was fine. Even if the car runs fine like mine did for years after a bent window pillar it still make it tough when you want to trade or sell it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts