BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2006 X3 and love it, its my first bmw and I would like to autoX it. After lightening it the ABS kicks in whenever I even take a light stab at the brakes, how can I turn the ABS off? The DSC was easy to turn off, there is a button.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
You cannot turn of ABS or xDrive in the X3, or any BMW for that matter.

The ABS on BMWs actually kicks in fairly late, only when you need it based on my experience. It's rare that ABS ever kicks in for me at all even when I drive spiritedly. Perhaps you're not actually getting the traction you need (i.e decent tyres?)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 2006 X3 3.0i has not the best tires but my friend's g-meter put the car at .96 gs on a 300 ft skid pad of old asphalt- not bad I think?! this X3 is stripped in interior, 260lbs came out. I autoX to the max of the vehicle and need the ABS off because it makes smooth transitions braking into corners impossible! any ideas appreciated much. Thanks!

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
You cannot turn of ABS or xDrive in the X3, or any BMW for that matter.
I thought when you turned DSC off, you are turning xDrive off, and leave all 4 wheels like a blocked differential? Why the 4x4 on the DCS off light?

·
Registered
2018 X5M, 2014 X3
769 Posts
Aren't there sensors on each wheel hub? Wouldn't it be possible to remove them or pull the wire? :dunno: Never really looked at the X3 brakes to know how it is setup, but it seems likely it can be done. Maybe search the E46 forum to see if someone there has done it.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I thought when you turned DSC off, you are turning xDrive off, and leave all 4 wheels like a blocked differential? Why the 4x4 on the DCS off light?
The 4x4 is a misnomer. xDrive is permanently active, there is no "lock" mode.

1. When accelerating from a standstill up to 20 km/h, the multi-plate clutch is fully engaged for a near 50:50 split for optimised traction. After 20km/h, it is variably distributed with a default of 40:60. xDrive proactively recognises and shifts power fore/aft within 100 milliseconds.

2. When parking (low speed, high steering angles), the system is rear-wheel drive.

3. At speeds over 180 km/h, the system is also rear-wheel drive.* And of course, if the system fails, it is also rear-wheel drive.

*This isn't mentioned in the post-facelift press release, someone on a German forum corrected me. Don't ask.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
I don't know about auto x with this vehicle but three times now, including this morning ABS and the handling of the X3 saved me from what my old 05 Grand Cherokee would be a scrap of metal.

This morning some one cut three lanes over to make a u turn on I95. I was doing 80 when I locked them up intially and threw down three gears to accelerate around the idiot. Any of my old vehicles and there would have been a very bad accident.

BTW join the BMW CCA there is certain to have someone who can tell you what to do if you really want to disable them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the immediate input, i'll keep up the search for installing an ABS disable switch and be sure to post the answer if I can find it! Appreciate all info!

·
Registered
105 Posts
My suspicion is that the ABS can't be disabled without physically hacking into the car's wiring and/or hydraulic systems. Looks like custom work and good luck finding someone to do it safely. All the ABS is doing is preventing wheel lock-up, which is a driver control or tire traction issue.

You would probably be better off to fit wider wheels and tires with better grip. Also consider coilovers, if you can find them. A lowered car with stiffer springs and less body roll will get onto its brakes more effectively. I think that improved suspension and rubber would give you much more improvement than disabling a basic safety system. I would also have the brakes serviced, including aftermarket pads, cleaning up the rotors and a fluid flush, followed by a good break-in.

·
HMFIC
439 Posts
ABS isn't the problem. It's your tire's lack of grip. The X3's higher center of gravity. That and you're probably not threshold braking. My guess is you're stabbing at the brakes way too hard instead of squeezing them. Of course with bad tires and transitioning a 4,000 lb suv from full acceleration to braking and turning isn't going to be easy.

Your friends G meter is probably wrong. No way your x3 is hitting .96 G. Not even with sticky summer rubber and the sport suspension. No way, no how. With that setup you might hit .88 G.

You cannot turn off ABS with any buttons. My guess would be to pull a fuse.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The 4x4 is a misnomer. xDrive is permanently active, there is no "lock" mode.

1. When accelerating from a standstill up to 20 km/h, the multi-plate clutch is fully engaged for a near 50:50 split for optimised traction. After 20km/h, it is variably distributed with a default of 40:60. xDrive proactively recognises and shifts power fore/aft within 100 milliseconds.

2. When parking (low speed, high steering angles), the system is rear-wheel drive.

3. At speeds over 180 km/h, the system is also rear-wheel drive.* And of course, if the system fails, it is also rear-wheel drive.

*This isn't mentioned in the post-facelift press release, someone on a German forum corrected me. Don't ask.
Azn, thanks for this info. It's just the kind of thing I like to know about my cars. #3 seems to explain why the steering appears to lighten-up when i'm cruising the 'Bahn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The concensus seems to be that ABS is a racable system and that better traction is what is needed, I'll keep the ABS working. Thanks for all the input, knowledge is always at least half the battle. I'll post good video when I have some. Thanks all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts