BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy I have a 2007 bow x5 4.8 with sports package... I love the vehicle I'm just a little disappointed with the speed of it.. what can I do to make my X5 faster ? ... and will a dyne tune or performance chip give me the speed I'm looking for ?.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
Remove the ECU software governor.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,841 Posts
Buy a different car.

100% serious. You will piss away several thousands and STILL not be where you want.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
hey guy I have a 2007 bow x5 4.8 with sports package... I love the vehicle I'm just a little disappointed with the speed of it.. what can I do to make my X5 faster ? ... and will a dyne tune or performance chip give me the speed I'm looking for ?.

Chip tune works with turbos. Your N62 would require good ole tuning, meaning lighter and sharper camshafts, lighter valves etc. Still, you would gain at most 20-40hp.
Why speed is important? Where do you live?
If you like speed, 3 series is much better option. If you still want SUV, sell it, get X5 5.0i like ARD said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Part of "fast" is turning and stopping. The weight and high center-of-mass of an SUV works against you there. For that reason, I've never understood the appeal of an "X-whatever M-whatever." An "M-whatever" (M2, M3, M4, M5, M6) or an "M-whatever-whatever-i" (M340i, M550xi) makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I don't know how long you've had the car and how it's been maintained over 12 years but firstly I'd make sure you don't have a clogged fuel filter, dirty air filter or clogged Exhaust Manifold.
Equally important, eliminate the possibility of bad injectors, bad fuel pump and bad spark plugs. Malfunction of sensors such as: Camshaft position sensor, MAF sensor, oxygen sensor, crankshaft sensor and all sensors relative to the fuel system can also cause loss of power.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
Aerodynamic drag is the largest force at speed and is proportional to V^2, so changes in speed due to power will be proportional to the square root of the change in power. The square root of the hypothetical 40 Hp increase is 6.3 in 350 Hp ~ 2% increase in speed to a first approximation.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Aerodynamic drag is the largest force at speed and is proportional to V^2, so changes in speed due to power will be proportional to the square root of the change in power. The square root of the hypothetical 40 Hp increase is 6.3 in 350 Hp ~ 2% increase in speed to a first approximation.
Not so fast, Dougie***8230;

Yes, aerodynamic drag force is roughly proportional to the square of velocity. But, power is force times velocity. So, the power necessary to equal aerodynamic drag force is proportional to the cube of velocity.

So...

P2/P1 = (V2/V1)^3

So, adding 40 h.p. to a 350 h.p. engine (assuming constant power with RPM at the top speed range) capable of achieving a maximum velocity of V1, would mean...

390/350 = (V2/V1)^3

(390/350)^(1/3) = V2/V1

So, V2 (top speed with 390 h.p.) would be 1.037 V1... as a first approximation.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
There isn't much you could do for a reasonable amount of money. You should be happy you don't have turbos and associated replacement costs.

Getting an intake or exhaust may make it sound faster but in the long run it won't really be help with acceleration times.

Maybe try a different gas station. The competitor may have faster gas. If you think its faster then mission accomplished.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Buy a different car.

100% serious. You will piss away several thousands and STILL not be where you want.
To add to what ard said, it will make you a serious "Friend of OPEC" with it on top of being the gas guzzler that it already is.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Chip tune works with turbos. Your N62 would require good ole tuning, meaning lighter and sharper camshafts, lighter valves etc. Still, you would gain at most 20-40hp.
Why speed is important? Where do you live?
If you like speed, 3 series is much better option. If you still want SUV, sell it, get X5 5.0i like ARD said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the OP looking for higher top speed or just faster acceleration, i.e., fast vs quick?

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Is the OP looking for higher top speed or just faster acceleration, i.e., fast vs quick?

Valid questions and key distinction. He probably wants it quicker, so if getting n63 or 3 series is out of the question then shed some weight. Get smaller lighter wheels for less rotational mass and remove parts that add weight and are not essential. Back row seats, interior trim, AC, replace glass with plexiglass.

In other words, love what you have for now, save up for something quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I once came across a website that advertised supercharger kits for n62... coolfactor 10, costly though

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not so fast, Dougie….

Yes, aerodynamic drag force is roughly proportional to the square of velocity. But, power is force times velocity. So, the power necessary to equal aerodynamic drag force is proportional to the cube of velocity.

So...

P2/P1 = (V2/V1)^3

So, adding 40 h.p. to a 350 h.p. engine (assuming constant power with RPM at the top speed range) capable of achieving a maximum velocity of V1, would mean...

390/350 = (V2/V1)^3

(390/350)^(1/3) = V2/V1

So, V2 (top speed with 390 h.p.) would be 1.037 V1... as a first approximation.

:thumbup:
:bow:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,841 Posts
so so much fail....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts