Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Fastest to daycare
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
so no loud noises, still think it's upstream of the throttle body then.

Have you tried just taking it all apart (short of the throttle body) and re-assembling all teh tubing? Looking forward to when you find it and :doh: can laugh about it
Yep...did that when I thought maybe I had an air leak at the elbow on the intake boot which connects to the vacuum hose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I had these symptoms, engine fires then dies, it was the cam position sensor.

I know you haven't been working on this, but could you have disturbed the connection, or maybe it just died in sympathy!

Have you checked for fault codes?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I haven't been in these engines but I'm wondering... How is it possible to install the manifold gaskets flush? I'd think that they would be made to be proud so that they would seal when bolted together. Were it not so I'd think it would still be a metal to metal seal and the gaskets would serve little purpose. Also it would seem that if they were thinner than the channel they sit in no matter how proud you placed them in the channel they would be pushed all the way down to their nominal position as soon as you bolted the pieces together.

I'm thinking you need to get to big orange or big green and bring a code reader home if you haven't already done so. I believe with a deposit you can get one for a bit, or perhaps this is a good excuse to buy one if you are able.

doc.

·
Fastest to daycare
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Fixed it!!! I believe the problem was what I suspected from the beginning...the gasket between the spacer and intake manifold (part no. 11611729727) was improperly seated. After confirming there were no leaks at the elbow of the intake boot a few days ago I decided to take apart the whole job again last night before throwing in the towel and hauling to my indy. TB gasket (part no. 13547510433) appeared to be seated properly. By that I mean there was some excess rubber that extended beyond the housing to create a proper seal. Then I removed the spacer between the TB and the IM and the gasket was flush with the IM as I had originally installed a few days ago. I then removed the gasket and re-installed; this time only half way into the receiving channel per the photo in post #18 above. Put it all back together and attempted to start last night...no luck. But went out this morning and tried again...eureka! It fired up and idled beautifully! Better than ever actually. I haven't had a start up without a 30 second long stumble in a long time. I took it around the block, shut it off, and again it started perfectly. Smooth as silk!

MKJS raises some good points above. It would seem if the depth of the receiving channel was equal to the depth of the gasket the process of torquing the the spacer to the IM would push the gasket all the way down into the channel and serve little purpose. All I can say is leaving excess gasket material above the channel appeared to solve my problem. Aside from torquing the TB bolts a little tighter, everything else was the same last night as last weekend. Thanks for your support boys...really appreciate all the responses. Now I get to chase the cylinder 5 misfire...yippee.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts