BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order replacement bulbs for my car(D1S). What i know is that when the bi xenon is illuminated the low beams are actually directing the light up. what im not sure of is that when the bi xenon is activated is the actual xenon bulb doing something different? or is the lens in the headlight assembly pointing more upward to create the high beam effect?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also are headlights adjustable manually? or does the dealer adjust them through the computer?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can adjust them manually and you will need to buy bi-xenon bulbs as replacement.
so regular D1S bulbs should do the trick right? these cars do not have many options

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i want to kind of know the mechanics of the bi xenon headlight. when you activate the bi xenons...does the actual lens move the beam of light up or does the bulb actually do the job.

what i think is that the bulb stays illuminated at the same brightness but there is something in the headlight assembly that shifts the beam of light higher.

·
President
8,099 Posts
when u turn on the bixenon's high beam the reflector inside the headlight moves to open up to get more light out, the actaul light output of the light bulb doesnt increase

I THINK... cuz i see something moving inside the headlight

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya me too...i just tried finding clips on youtube and you can even hear something click inside the headlight.

does the headlight move when you turn your steering wheel to the left? because mine moves when you turn the steering to the right but not the left.

·
the cleanest1
2,632 Posts
I bet it supposed to be just the right. Also the left headlight shines a little lower, i told the dealer to adjust the height and they said that is how its supposed to be. The reason is for you not to blind the other drivers.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
Seven11 is correct... I haven't looked at a 750, but if it's the same as the 745's (and it likely is), there is a shutter in front of the low beam bulb that creates the horizontal cutoff that you see. When you turn on the high beams, the shutter retracts upward and you get light on the entire lens.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ya me too...i just tried finding clips on youtube and you can even hear something click inside the headlight.

does the headlight move when you turn your steering wheel to the left? because mine moves when you turn the steering to the right but not the left.
Headlights move to the left. They just don't move when the car is stationary, and they are not as dramatic as when you turn right. Watch them when your driving (moving) the car, they turn.

·
Registered
124 Posts
when u turn on the bixenon's high beam the reflector inside the headlight moves to open up to get more light out, the actaul light output of the light bulb doesnt increase

I THINK... cuz i see something moving inside the headlight
:thumbup: YUp-the difference in output is caused by movement in the lens, or in some kits, the retraction of the bulb base to change the beam angle.

The bulb output remains the same.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
The bulb is just a bulb, no dual bulbs or anything. The bulb is housed in a projector assembly which has a bowl behind it to help refract light forward. Then there is a Cut-off shield inside that cuts off the light, thus why you see light cutting off after a certain distance. When you turn up the high-beams, the shutter opens thus releasing all the light of the HID. That is why projector headlights use DXS bulbs, and DXC bulbs are used in non-projector housing thus not blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do headlights move to the left or right on 03 7 series or 06 and up?
at a stand still...mine goes right but not left. even when driving i turn my wheel left and i cant tell if it turns left. it goes just a little but its because of the cars movement to the left i think. :dunno:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was a option on 04+ 7s
option to just go left or both left and right..:rofl:

question was that my headlight goes right when the wheel is turned...is it supposed to go left as well or is the left movement fixed?

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
Boing: to my knowledge ALC can be retrofitted to any year, but you need the proper headlight assembly as well as the ALC unit.

The left and right motion is a function of having ALC (adaptive headlight control); the ALC unit is a little box on the side of the headlight assembly (the box on the bottom of the headlight assembly is just the ballast/control unit, and all xenons have that). Also, all xenon setups have load-leveling for the headlights, identifed by the vertical motion you see when you turn the car on (this is controlled by the motor behind the door at the back of the headlight that has three screws (I think three).

If you look at my headlights you can tell that I do not have ALC because I have the regular H7 daytime running lights, whereas the 745's/760's with adaptive headlight control have lenses in the daytime running lights' places that look just like the low-beam lens (I think Sunny had a 760 with ALC).

This all may have already been known, but I figured I'd restate it anyway in case someone does a search.

·
the cleanest1
2,632 Posts
You mean your headlights are not projectors? Are they even xenon? My headlights do go up and down when i start the car, dont really care about moving to sides motion but its probably cool to have. I know the 04+ have dual projectors

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
option to just go left or both left and right..:rofl:

question was that my headlight goes right when the wheel is turned...is it supposed to go left as well or is the left movement fixed?
it only goes to the right at a standstill because it won't blind oncoming drivers. If you were able to move it left, then you would blind oncoming traffic. As well it turns when moving above 20MPH for the left.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts