BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I have a quick question. I did a quick seach to make sure I was not asking a question that had been previously answered, and here it is.
I have a 530I 1994 e34 and I have very little air flow comming from the heat and airconditioning. I was told that it sounds like I have a clogged micro cabin air filter. can anyone tell me where this is located and how to get to it. and if anyone has any other suggestions as to what might be causing this problem, I would greatly appreciate your help and input.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Sir, would suggest you include these links in your maintenance thread. And I have a question for you. Is it fair to say that the life span of the water pump and fan clutch are roughly identical, such that if you need to change one, you might as well do both? Thanks.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Sir, would suggest you include these links in your maintenance thread. And I have a question for you. Is it fair to say that the life span of the water pump and fan clutch are roughly identical, such that if you need to change one, you might as well do both? Thanks.
I'm assuming you are directing this to me. As such, I will plan to add the microfilter change to the sticky.

Regarding the WP and fan clutch, I can't really speak intelligently to the life span of each specifically, but I know that both would be included in a coolant system overhaul which if I remember correctly, should be done approximately every 100K miles (assuming that the coolant has been changed regularly).

Steve

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
A cream colored door

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

remove the glove box at lower strap clips and 2 rear release hinge ,remove 2 covers on lower left passenger side carpet panals , . remove Pass side air duct at feet . In the very back left middle of firewall look up to your left with a flashlight. Remove plastic filter access door. Its the only cream colored plastic door back there.Its about 3 in wide and 8 in long One # 8 torks screw low on the door and a funny plastic blade at top that swings left to open. There will be a component box in the way of sliding out the filter.This small box is removable to allow the filter to be easily removed. Filters are 10 to 50 dollars. Bring vacuum with long narrow attachment for filter housing. Be prepared to be completly disgusted by how dirty it is with hair, dirt, dust ,leaves, grease . Watch your heating and cooling system come back to full strength as it can breath again. Very easy change 30min job LD

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
A cream colored door

Heres a pic of the panals removed .And the filter access door.The filter is located behind the wire bundel there on the fire wall.

Attachments

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
Your welcome .There was even a thread of filter removal results:bustingup Mine was very old maybe even original. But i think the most overdue result was our friend with the rat nest.:yikes:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cabin air filter DIY

I have a 1990 e34 535i and the DIY here doesn't seem to apply to my car. The cabin air filter access door that seems to be on everyone else's car is not on mine, can someone help

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its a longish process, but an easy DIY, and totally worth it for the increased air flow. Remove the glove box, carpet panel, plastic trim, air duct. Then you will see the light greenish to white colored filter box cover (colored like it could have been glow in the dark). There are wires in the way that plug into the heater/AC control module. Unclip the whole module and move it out of the way. Then turn the black knob on the cover and remove. Replace the filter and repeat steps in reverse.

Here is a better link:
https://blog.bavauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/INS_E34_Microfilter.pdf

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cabin Air Filter

After looking at DIYs for over 2 hours, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I came to find out my 1990 BMW e34 535i doesn't even have a cabin air filter. Yes I feel like an idiot, but hey I got my money back

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
hey I have a quick question. I did a quick seach to make sure I was not asking a question that had been previously answered, and here it is.
I have a 530I 1994 e34 and I have very little air flow comming from the heat and airconditioning. I was told that it sounds like I have a clogged micro cabin air filter. can anyone tell me where this is located and how to get to it. and if anyone has any other suggestions as to what might be causing this problem, I would greatly appreciate your help and input.
Good write up here

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is the one Achilles heel of this car. I can't even imagine the level of sadistry involved in the decision to stuff a 10k mile cabin filter into a black hole inside the car. Everytime I change that thing I see red, because I always end up cutting myself somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I disassembled my 1991 525i to replace the microfilter. It turns out that my car does not have a microfilter. Any suggestions on why the output of the fan has steadily declined over the years? The fan sounds okay but the output is nil. Is the fan difficult to replace. I've attached a photo of where I had hoped to find the cabin air filter.
Microfilter5.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts