BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 528i 1997, and the tranny has been having issues in the low gears, it takes time for it to shift into them when the engine is cold, I want to eliminate issues and try to find out what is going on and the first thing I want to do is check the transmission fluid level.

Can someone tell me how I can check the transmission fluid level for this vehicle?

Thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a 528i 1997, and the tranny has been having issues in the low gears, it takes time for it to shift into them when the engine is cold, I want to eliminate issues and try to find out what is going on and the first thing I want to do is check the transmission fluid level.

Can someone tell me how I can check the transmission fluid level for this vehicle?

Thanks.
sealed system.

Do the tranny flush . filter change and fluid change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meaning it's not possible for me to check it with a dip stick? if so how would I tell if the transmission fliud is leaking, I have some oil leakage but not sure if it's transmission fliud of oil.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Bentley Service Manual; said:
Check ATF level if there is evidence of a leak, a complaint related to fluid level or after transmission repairs.

The automatic tranmission is not equipped with a dipstick. Checking the ATF level requires that the transmission be at operating temperature during the checking procedure.

Note--
Vehicle must be level through tests

• Drive vehicle to warm up ATF to operating temperature
  • Connect BMW diagnostic scan tool DISplus, MoDiC, GT1 or equivalent to determine transmission oil temperature. Fluid temperature must be 30° to 50°C (85°-120°F)
  • With engine running, switch on air conditioning to increase engine idle speed
  • Apply parking brake
  • While applying foot brake firmly move gear shift selector lever through all gear positions, pausing in each gear briefly
  • Raise and safely support vehicle, making sure car is stable and well-supported at all times.
  • With engine running and selector lever in park, remove filler plug.
    • If a small stream of fluid runs out of the filler hole the level is correct.
    • If no fluid leaks out when plug is removed, fluid level is too low. Add ATF fluid until it starts to overflow.
  • Install filler plug using new sealer ring
Obviously there's some corners to cut, particularly with the GT1 requirement.

I wouldn't bother checking it. Checking requires about 20% of the work for draining and refilling, and I'd rather do the extra work and get it all done, something that needs to be done anyways.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Trans fluid is usually red. If its real old and burnt then it will match motor oil, but it'd have to be pretty bad.
I'm assuming that the "lifetime" fluid is going to be nasty based on pics.

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
bimmerkid, mileage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts