BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How do I find 2011 50i with Adaptive Drive & M Sport?

4269 Views 31 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Rickm5X3
I am looking to buy a 2011 X5 Xdrive50i with Adaptive Drive & the M Sport package. It is my understanding that Adaptive Drive came with the ZMP M Sport Package? I am looking at a "2011 E70 Order Guide" and it says the following:

ZMP M Sport Package
2NY 20" wheels performance tires (style 333M)
2VA Adaptive Drive
337 M Sport Package
3MA Roof rails aluminum
508 Park Distance Control
710 M steering wheel
7M5 M exterior parts in body color

Does this mean that if you bought either the:
X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity
or the
X5 xDrive50i

and you ordered the ZMP M Sport Package, that it came with Adaptive Drive?

I realize that other models (eg. X5 xDrive35d) could be ordered with the Adaptive Drive option as a separate item too.

But my main question is whether the ZMP M Sport Package automatically included Adaptive Drive?

Thanks, Steve
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
If I were you, I'd test drive the turbos versus that 5 liter NA up there in Denver...

GL

A
Both the 35i and 50i are turbos.. :dunno:
If I were you, I'd test drive the turbos versus that 5 liter NA up there in Denver...

GL

A
If the 50i or 35i has M-sport, it should have adaptive drive.. but if there was more than one ordering guide (2011 was a long model year, began in 3-4/2010), or if you were allowed to do sport suspension delete, then it may not have it. I would check the Mulroney or scan the VIN to be sure.
I am looking to buy a 2011 X5 Xdrive50i with Adaptive Drive & the M Sport package. It is my understanding that Adaptive Drive came with the ZMP M Sport Package? I am looking at a "2011 E70 Order Guide" and it says the following:

ZMP M Sport Package
2NY 20" wheels performance tires (style 333M)
2VA Adaptive Drive
337 M Sport Package
3MA Roof rails aluminum
508 Park Distance Control
710 M steering wheel
7M5 M exterior parts in body color

Does this mean that if you bought either the:
X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity
or the
X5 xDrive50i

and you ordered the ZMP M Sport Package, that it came with Adaptive Drive?

I realize that other models (eg. X5 xDrive35d) could be ordered with the Adaptive Drive option as a separate item too.

But my main question is whether the ZMP M Sport Package automatically included Adaptive Drive?

Thanks, Steve
wtf was I thinking??? Older 48? dunno

(nevermind)
Both the 35i and 50i are turbos.. :dunno:
50i is a 4.4 litre with "twin scroll" single turbo. Entire X5 lineup has been turbo since 2011 model year. You must be new here.
Yes, all 2011 X5 M-Sport had adaptive drive. which makes the 2011 M-Sport a great find on the used car market. For 2012, M-Sport became a cheaper option, but you had to be aware enough to select 2VA as a separate option. Consequently, there are lots of 2012 M-Sport on the used market with NO adaptive drive, but first owner instead spent the money on running boards and soft close doors and other useless gizmos and doodads. :confused:
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification - beginning to make sense now!
And when you are looking at listings for 2012 M-Sport, you can easily tell if it has adaptive by looking for the "Sport" button behind the shifter.
Rickm5x3, another great tip. Please weigh in on my decision thread on 3 X5's I am looking at:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642028

:)

And when you are looking at listings for 2012 M-Sport, you can easily tell if it has adaptive by looking for the "Sport" button behind the shifter.
Will do. One of the key points on the various choices is that Sports Activity Package does not give you sport suspension. Only M-Sport and of course X5M have the sport tuned suspension. This might matter to you or not. Also, do you need to tow? It is actually easier to have a hitch put on the X5M (BMW has a part number for it and will do the install), whereas the M-Sport has greater challenges with the rear bumper panel and dealers won't do the install (typically).
This is funny. He's probably one of the most knowledgeable guys on this forum.

Ard, welcome to the forum!

50i is a 4.4 litre with "twin scroll" single turbo. Entire X5 lineup has been turbo since 2011 model year. You must be new here.
Will do. One of the key points on the various choices is that Sports Activity Package does not give you sport suspension. Only M-Sport and of course X5M have the sport tuned suspension. This might matter to you or not. Also, do you need to tow? It is actually easier to have a hitch put on the X5M (BMW has a part number for it and will do the install), whereas the M-Sport has greater challenges with the rear bumper panel and dealers won't do the install (typically).
3rd row seats will delete sport suspension. Adaptive drive (AD) is available on all X5's (35i, 35d, 50i). IMO, AD > sport suspension. I'm not convinced you're missing much with the sport suspension if you have AD.
Needed a sarcasm emoticon on that one:D
This is funny. He's probably one of the most knowledgeable guys on this forum.
So if you order M-Sport and 3rd row, you lose sport sus entirely? seems like an an odd result.
3rd row seats will delete sport suspension.
3rd row will add air suspension and self-leveling, just like what X5M have. we have M-Sport with 3rd row on our 2011 50i.
It's fun being on the butt end for a change....

:)
That part I get, and that is the same as any other X5 with third row. But do you lose sport suspension calibration with M-Sport and third row combined as noted above.
3rd row will add air suspension and self-leveling, just like what X5M have. we have M-Sport with 3rd row on our 2011 50i.
Looking at the current BMW documentation, it looks like only the 35i sport (with m sport) can get the sport suspension. The 50i gets self leveling suspension, no option for sport suspension (according to brochure). 3rd row seats automatically get self leveling suspension. My logic was/is that it shows the m sport package coming with self leveling suspension for the 50i, and the 35i having the option for either m sport suspension or the self leveling suspension included with 3rd row seats.

Could be wrong.. Doesn't seem 100% clear, other than the 50i not having an option for sport suspension (shows self leveling suspension instead as a separate option) according to the current BMW documentation.

Clear as mud.
That part I get, and that is the same as any other X5 with third row. But do you lose sport suspension calibration with M-Sport and third row combined as noted above.
On the build sheet no mention of "sport suspension" but "Adaptive Drive" for the M Sport Pack. As I understdnard, this inlcude Active Roll Stabilzation and Dynamic Dapering Contorl which you already know. Plus there is the "sport" button below the transmission selector. As I understand sport suspension is non adaptive. I don't think the 3rd row lose the "sport supsension calbiration", might be just different calbiraiton than the non 3rd row springs/shock build. Hope this help.

Attachments

I think this is hard to figure out definitively after having researched, read on the forums and after talking to my dealer friend (who says the suspensions are the same between the Sports Activity Package and the M Sport Package).
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.