BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got supplies to re-finish my cloudy headlights (wet-sand then clear coat spray), and went to remove them today but couldn't because ONE connector was sticking and would not release. I tried for 30 minutes to unplug the thing but it wouldn't budge. Does anyone know how? It's the one with the blue plastic piece on top. Which I broke by the way when trying to disconnect. Both sides I broke, they were so brittle.

It looks like you have to press in on one part then pull up with the other hand at the same time, I don't know if it has a name. It might just be stuck because the car is a 2001. Or maybe I'm not doing it correctly? I just got the car three weeks ago and this is my first attempt at doing anything on it myself.

The alternative might be to leave the headlights on and re-finish that way after taping around the edges. But I don't want to risk getting any clear coat spray on the paint, so I'd much rather remove them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
The blue part and the black part aren’t what you should be trying to disconnect.
See those 2 black tabs that are in the back side of the connector? Pry them up above the tab and pull the connector out.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Yep, pry those two tabs toward the back of the car while pulling the blue and black pieces (one piece) upward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blue part and the black part aren’t what you should be trying to disconnect.
See those 2 black tabs that are in the back side of the connector? Pry them up above the tab and pull the connector out.
Right, the tabs on the back of the connector are what's stuck. Not talking about the blue piece

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just did this last weekend. You have to lever the bottom of both black fingers on the back towards the back. Then you pull straight up. I used a 90 degree pick. A pick with a T shape end would be perfect. Or an L shaped stiff wire with a long shorter leg. Paint can opener? Strong fingernail might work

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
You could also use a short knife and go in from the side and under the ends of the fingers. Twist clockwise to lever the fingers over the tab while you pull straight up on the connector

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also use a short knife and go in from the side and under the ends of the fingers. Twist clockwise to lever the fingers over the tab while you pull straight up on the connector

I gave up and left the headlights in, taped around then wet-sanded & clear coated. Those connectors are seriously stuck! If I replace the headlights at some point I'll have no choice, but at least I've got clear headlights for now. Well, once I sand/buff out the orange peel that is, then hopefully they'll be clear :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts