BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I'm pressing and holding the power button volume knob for about 20 seconds but iDrive is not resetting.

Is this the correct method?
That is a reboot (not a reset) but it also does not work on my wifes F15 (while it does on my 2016 435).

Are you trying to reboot, or rest your idrive? I would characterize "reset" as erasing settings, and "hard reboot" as the equivilent of holding the power button on a laptop till it turns off.

I have not found a way to hard reboot my wifes F15, and sometimes it needs it because bluetooth is funky in how it connects.

·
It means bright red
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you.

Yes I am just trying to "reboot" / power cycle the unit. Thanks for the info that's interesting it doesn't work on your wife's as well. That method worked on a F30 I had.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Ok thank you.

Yes I am just trying to "reboot" / power cycle the unit. Thanks for the info that's interesting it doesn't work on your wife's as well. That method worked on a F30 I had.
If you find out, let me know (although I am returning her X5 in Jan for a new X3 M40i.... she wanted something smaller and loved the acceleration of her X5d).

Bluetooth seems funky on her 2016 F15, which has the "NBT" head unit. My 435 has the NBT Evo head unit, even though both of them have idrive 4.0 so visually operate the same. There is definitely a difference in the speed in which they operate, etc.

One thing we have found in relationship to the bluetooth (in the interest of information sharing), is that we need to give the car time to fully boot up so to speak or connection to phones do not work well all the time.

What I mean is, if you unlock the door, plug in the phone, start the car, and go, at least 50% of the time it wont play our pandora properly through BMW apps, or even connect to BMW apps properly for that trip. We cant hard reboot it either, so once its "not working" from a streaming perspective, it doesnt work properly for that whole trip.

If we unlock the door, plug the phone in, turn on pandora, then wait a bit (until pandora stops playing from the phone) THEN start the car, everything normally works properly.

When my wife is driving, she creates this time by unlocking the rear driver side passenger door and putting her purse in the back behind the drivers seat. Then she closes that door (obviously, lol), and gets in the drivers seat, plugs in her phone (with pandora running on the phone). This is all while the car is not running. Unlocking the door with comfort access starts the process of waking it up as you likely know.

If I am driving I unlock the back passenger drivers door with comfort access, but then put my backpack in the "trunk".

Sorry... realizing I am running off at the fingertips right now, lol... especially since you didnt say it was bluetooth issues.

We have had the dealer replace the head unit under warranty, but the same spotty bluetooth issues remain, and there are no software updates for bluetooth for her car, either that we can download, or new software the dealer could install (I have a trusted SA who I have a 6 year relationship with who checked this for us).

Anyway, if you find a way to reboot the F15 idrive let me know.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If you find out, let me know (although I am returning her X5 in Jan for a new X3 M40i.... she wanted something smaller and loved the acceleration of her X5d).

Bluetooth seems funky on her 2016 F15, which has the "NBT" head unit. My 435 has the NBT Evo head unit, even though both of them have idrive 4.0 so visually operate the same. There is definitely a difference in the speed in which they operate, etc.

One thing we have found in relationship to the bluetooth (in the interest of information sharing), is that we need to give the car time to fully boot up so to speak or connection to phones do not work well all the time.

What I mean is, if you unlock the door, plug in the phone, start the car, and go, at least 50% of the time it wont play our pandora properly through BMW apps, or even connect to BMW apps properly for that trip. We cant hard reboot it either, so once its "not working" from a streaming perspective, it doesnt work properly for that whole trip.

If we unlock the door, plug the phone in, turn on pandora, then wait a bit (until pandora stops playing from the phone) THEN start the car, everything normally works properly.

When my wife is driving, she creates this time by unlocking the rear driver side passenger door and putting her purse in the back behind the drivers seat. Then she closes that door (obviously, lol), and gets in the drivers seat, plugs in her phone (with pandora running on the phone). This is all while the car is not running. Unlocking the door with comfort access starts the process of waking it up as you likely know.

If I am driving I unlock the back passenger drivers door with comfort access, but then put my backpack in the "trunk".

Sorry... realizing I am running off at the fingertips right now, lol... especially since you didnt say it was bluetooth issues.

We have had the dealer replace the head unit under warranty, but the same spotty bluetooth issues remain, and there are no software updates for bluetooth for her car, either that we can download, or new software the dealer could install (I have a trusted SA who I have a 6 year relationship with who checked this for us).

Anyway, if you find a way to reboot the F15 idrive let me know.
Interesting post read on this. I'm curious, new to idrive, what happens if you disconnect the battery? or pull the fuse that controls the iDrive?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Interesting post read on this. I'm curious, new to idrive, what happens if you disconnect the battery? or pull the fuse that controls the iDrive?
Not sure, but you would not want to disconnect the battery fully in a BMW without taking some steps as I have heard that if the car goes fully without power it may go into an anti theft type mode. I dont work on my cars so I dont know for sure.

In any case, thats not the kind of reset the OP was talking about (nor the one I was talking about).

iDrive shuts down fully when you turn off and lock the car, for about 12 minutes. In most BMWs you can also reboot it like a computer by holding the volume button in for 20-25 seconds continuously, which restarts the computer for the idrive system / navigation etc. Just pushing the volume button in temporarily just turns off the volume but does not restart the system.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Not sure, but you would not want to disconnect the battery fully in a BMW without taking some steps as I have heard that if the car goes fully without power it may go into an anti theft type mode. I dont work on my cars so I dont know for sure.

In any case, thats not the kind of reset the OP was talking about (nor the one I was talking about).

iDrive shuts down fully when you turn off and lock the car, for about 12 minutes. In most BMWs you can also reboot it like a computer by holding the volume button in for 20-25 seconds continuously, which restarts the computer for the idrive system / navigation etc. Just pushing the volume button in temporarily just turns off the volume but does not restart the system.
@jjrandorin......Thanks, good info here. I will talk to a couple of my BMW techs on the "battery disconnect" causing car to go into "anti-thieft" mode. I would do this on all my other Bimmers/Bemmers to re-set adaptions & ECU's or if I was having a battery drain issue.
Question on your reply; when you say "volume button" are you taking about the radio button or the big iDrive control knob?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
@jjrandorin......Thanks, good info here. I will talk to a couple of my BMW techs on the "battery disconnect" causing car to go into "anti-thieft" mode. I would do this on all my other Bimmers/Bemmers to re-set adaptions & ECU's or if I was having a battery drain issue.
Question on your reply; when you say "volume button" are you taking about the radio button or the big iDrive control knob?
The radio volume button. I am not aware of any volume changes one could do with the idrive controller.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pressing and holding the power button volume knob for about 20 seconds but iDrive is not resetting.

Is this the correct method?
Thanks to the people on this thread. I found yesterday that the satnav on my 225i was stuck on "Starting ..." and made a booking at the local dealership. Then it occurred to me that if something like that happened on my laptop, the first thing to try is always to reboot. Just stopping the engine and restarting does not seem to do this, so after Googling and finding this thread I tried holding down the volume control and after about 20 seconds it worked! And then the satnav worked as well. So thank you for saving me a trip to the garage - not to mention the possible bill. Oh and I did try phoning both BMW emergency service and my dealer to see if there was anything I could try before bringing the car in, but neither were any help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.