BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
3,365 Posts
Check the detail forum and do a search. For weekly washing (I am just picking that subject out of the air since it may be most relevant to you), I use a synthetic fiber wash mitt, a soft carnuba wax-based soap, and a CA Waterblade to dry off. I wash weekly because on black or OB, the dirt will show up quickly. I also use A-Z wheel cleaner on my rims unless I am going to sit down and do a thorough hand cleaning on them (I don't use my wash mitt on the rims). Regular "rules" of washing apply so as to avoid those pesky little scratches and swirls. Good luck and enjoy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
766 Posts
BIMMER_TONY said:
I'm looking for washing and waxing tips. It's my first black car. What do use? How do I use it? Help! :yikes:

Well, black is really excellent at showing up paint chips, so investing in some sort of protection for the hood/bumper/lights sounds like a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts

·
Graham
328 Posts
You might want to get in touch with Wayne at Waynes's Towels. I just finished detailing my car and used the stuff he recommended and I am totally saisfied with the result. But , mycar is Titaniums silver, not black. But he did a very good job of steering me in the right direction. Also, I am/was new at the detailing business and I had many questions to ask and he had infinite patience with me.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Ok seriously check out the detailing forum here - there a about a billion posts about detailing, about black cars, about Zaino and about Klasse AIO/SG. Anyway here's a quick summary of things. Feel free to search on any or all of the keywords you are about to see.

1) Wash the car - first time out (and only the first time) use Dawn to remove any waxes and oils on the car. Dry with a Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel (herafter Microfiber = MF).
2) Clay bar the car, using an appropriate lubricant. Clay barring removes micro-contaminant sfrom the clearcoat surface that aren't removed from the wash alone. This prevents micro scratches during the remaining polishing steps.
3) Was the car again using a good car wash soap (Meguiars Gold, or Zaino Z7). Get a good sheepskin Mit - it pulls the dirt away from the surface where it can scratch. Use the two bucket method. Dry again with a MF towel (preferably waffle weave - checkout the Big Blue II from Autopia or Classic Motoring)
4) Apply polish and/or swirl remover. Zaino Z5+ZFX will work well if its a new car. Also look into Klasse All-In-One. Zaino and Klasse are the two biggies here - SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
5) Apply synthetic wax to add shine and preserve/protect the paint. This is either Zaino ZFX + Z2, or Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG). Apply SPARINGLY. One tiny little ounce will cover an entire BMW. When I say thin I mean THIN. Remove product with a good MF towel. check out www.pakshak.com for great high quality MF towels. Don't just use the cheapies from Walmart. There are plenty of good web sites that sell good MF towels, and Klasse products. Zaino is at www.zainostore.com
6) Apply up to 3 coats of Zaino or Klasse SG over a weekend. This will give you deep shine, and make sure the car is completely protected for at least 6 months.
7) DO NOT let any car wash machines touch your car. Try to avoid letting other people wash your car as they will leave swirl marks.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
icemanjs4 said:
Ok seriously check out the detailing forum here - there a about a billion posts about detailing, about black cars, about Zaino and about Klasse AIO/SG. Anyway here's a quick summary of things. Feel free to search on any or all of the keywords you are about to see.

1) Wash the car - first time out (and only the first time) use Dawn to remove any waxes and oils on the car. Dry with a Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel (herafter Microfiber = MF).
2) Clay bar the car, using an appropriate lubricant. Clay barring removes micro-contaminant sfrom the clearcoat surface that aren't removed from the wash alone. This prevents micro scratches during the remaining polishing steps.
3) Was the car again using a good car wash soap (Meguiars Gold, or Zaino Z7). Get a good sheepskin Mit - it pulls the dirt away from the surface where it can scratch. Use the two bucket method. Dry again with a MF towel (preferably waffle weave - checkout the Big Blue II from Autopia or Classic Motoring)
4) Apply polish and/or swirl remover. Zaino Z5+ZFX will work well if its a new car. Also look into Klasse All-In-One. Zaino and Klasse are the two biggies here - SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
5) Apply synthetic wax to add shine and preserve/protect the paint. This is either Zaino ZFX + Z2, or Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG). Apply SPARINGLY. One tiny little ounce will cover an entire BMW. When I say thin I mean THIN. Remove product with a good MF towel. check out www.pakshak.com for great high quality MF towels. Don't just use the cheapies from Walmart. There are plenty of good web sites that sell good MF towels, and Klasse products. Zaino is at www.zainostore.com
6) Apply up to 3 coats of Zaino or Klasse SG over a weekend. This will give you deep shine, and make sure the car is completely protected for at least 6 months.
7) DO NOT let any car wash machines touch your car. Try to avoid letting other people wash your car as they will leave swirl marks.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a ton. I'm new to Bimmerfest and forums in general. I'll dig into this as well as your info. I owe you one!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Black is IMHO the most beautiful color for a bimmer when clean. There is just something absoutely sexy about it. But it just makes you :mad:
I do a quick wash at least every weekend just to get the dust off the car and wheels.

One tip I heard here is to use detailing spray after you dry (after your quick maintainance washes). After a quick wash and dry the detailing spray just enhances that deep wet shine which lasts until I drive again. :cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keeping Bimmer looking good

Sorry last night for the short message what Icemanjs4 says was a great writeup.I have been using Zaino for over 10 years now,besides my white 330 I have a Black SS camaro.that I Zaino every couple of months,its without question that best product around and I,M no kid i,ve used them all over the years. Just make sure you use 100% white cotton towels.Some will say 100% cotton but they are from Packastan and are not true 100% cotton .100% COTTON made in the USA ONLY! Zaino Bros are out off N.J. and you order online. Good luck there is nothing like a Black car that has been Zainoed

·
Registered
571 Posts
Do not let your dealer wash it! They scratched the hell out of mine. One other great tip I was given is to remove the nozzle from your hose when doing the final rinse. Get a decent stream of water going and use it to kind of push the water off the car. Do one section at a time and you should have no trouble with spots and can dry the whole car with one towel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have just tried Zanio for the first time on my Topaz Blue 330 and I must say I am impressed. I used Z-5 first then a couple of coats of Z-2, then the gloss enhancer. The car looks like a mirror. I plan on applying a few more coats over the next few weeks to enhance the shine even more.

Mike :thumbup:

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Hey 173rd, I know the Zaino guys HIGHLY recommentd 100% cotton towels. I've also spoken to Ranney Pak out in Hawaii (the co-owner of PakShak). The way he explained the reason why Zaino recommends Cotton and doesn't reccommend Microfiber towels is that many of the MF towels are made in Korea, and apparently there aren't a lot of quality standards and regulations. I guess that's why he recommends 100% AMERICAN cotton towels. Therefore just because you have an MF towel, doesn't mean it's a good one, and the results may be unpredictable. Supposedly there are 1 or 2 websites that are "Zaino approved" for MF towels. I feel confident that if you get MF towels from a reputable source (ie not walmart or Sams Club), you can use that as effectively as cotton.

173rd said:
Sorry last night for the short message what Icemanjs4 says was a great writeup.I have been using Zaino for over 10 years now,besides my white 330 I have a Black SS camaro.that I Zaino every couple of months,its without question that best product around and I,M no kid i,ve used them all over the years. Just make sure you use 100% white cotton towels.Some will say 100% cotton but they are from Packastan and are not true 100% cotton .100% COTTON made in the USA ONLY! Zaino Bros are out off N.J. and you order online. Good luck there is nothing like a Black car that has been Zainoed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Autopia

there is a guy in southern CA at autopia-carcare.com

in my opinion, the best products ever. I have gotten tons of compliments on my car stating it's just a step above in terms of shine. The sonus car wash and detailing spray and the Klasse wax and pre wax cleaner are excellent. Plus, a whole site that is nothing but directions and ideas on how to best detail your high end car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
I feel confident that if you get MF towels from a reputable source (ie not walmart or Sams Club), you can use that as effectively as cotton.
So very true...There are a bunch of sites that offer good quality towels and other tools. Here's a short list of places I've either used or have had repeated recommendations (the top three I have used personally):

Classic Motoring Accessories
PakShak
Griot's Garage
Autopia Carcare
Autogeek
Pinnacle Car Care
Top of the Line

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
I'll second many of those sights. I've looked at or ordered from Classic Motoring, Pakshak, autopia and autogeek. They've all got some great products. My favorite MF towel, BY FAR, is the Big Blue II waffle weave. It just amazes me. It dries my entire car - perfectly dry, and not even one drop of water spills out. It's just insane! And I don't even need to wipe the car with it. I literally just lay it down on a flat surface, pat it down so it's smooth, then lift up - and the surface is dry and shiny WOW.

I feel like a commercial - but I'm just that impressed.
Here's a link: http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/biglitblutow.html

jimwh said:
So very true...There are a bunch of sites that offer good quality towels and other tools. Here's a short list of places I've either used or have had repeated recommendations (the top three I have used personally):

Classic Motoring Accessories
PakShak
Griot's Garage
Autopia Carcare
Autogeek
Pinnacle Car Care
Top of the Line

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
BIMMER_TONY said:
I'm looking for washing and waxing tips. It's my first black car. What do use? How do I use it? Help! :yikes:

Tony,

I'm up here in the harsh NE and here's what my jet black bimmer looked like in December after just crossing the four year mark.

I always hand wash it with a mitt and keep it detailed twice a year, once before winter and again just before summer.

It's never seen a car wash (except the occasional touchless) and has only been washed carelessly twice, by the dealer :mad:

So, swirls have been kept to a minimum.

One thing, though, stone chips will show up readily around the slope of the hood, it's a drag, see separate thread.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts