BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2006 BMW E60 523i Automatic with a N52 engine (RHD). My car has a play in the steering rack so I need to replace it ASAP without allowing it to further wear out the groves on the rack.

I'm going for a refurbished steering rack so I must make sure my car doesn't have active steering. But it has to have servotronic. I know my car has servotronic but not sure about the active steering. My car's VIN is WBANE32060CM74259. So please someone let me know if my car has active steering or not. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
BMW's WITHOUT active steering have significantly heavier steering feel than your typical economy car. Active steering lightens the steering at low speeds while still maintaining the traditional BMW heavy steering at high speeds. So if your car steers like a Honda at low speed, you have active steering.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
You can also tell by the total rotations of the steering wheel from lock to lock . Active steering will have less than two turns .. And non AS will have more .

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
You can also tell by the total rotations of the steering wheel from lock to lock . Active steering will have less than two turns .. And non AS will have more .
+1. Active steering has one full turn on each side instead of two.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for link BronxE60 too cool!

Prost

Lederhosen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts