BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How do I set the ac heater blower MEMORY to remember to start in the MIDWAY position?

11761 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  bluebee
How do I set the ac heater blower MEMORY to remember to start in the MIDWAY position?

Every time I turn on my bimmer, the heater/ac fan ramp has a memory and starts at whatever setting it feels like starting at. All I want to do is CHANGE that memory setting to the mid-way position or to the OFF position.

I've been reading up on the ac of my new bimmer and I have found that the ac is designed to be left on automatic but I also read from cn90 threads that we should start the ac in the mid position on the fan speed to preserve our fsu blow motor resistor.

I've already been through two fsr resistors and I think it might be because my fan always starts on the one LED setting, which is barely blowing, and which cn90 says is then putting the maximum heat across the blower motor resistor.

All I want to do is either start with NO FAN blowing or start with 8 dots (midway) blowing.
How do I set the ac heater fan memory to start in the OFF or MIDWAY postion?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
I have had my car for 14 years

only 3 FSR s have been in car. My blower setting is the very first, as you can never have car start in off normally. ( if the car had bower off, and you shut it down and with in a few minutes you restarted it, it might not have blower on) Normally it will on restart it gos to position blower was last into. When you reset it, it take two starts to get to reset speed.
Why not try the AUTO setting?

Most aftermarket FSRs are inferior. Best buy the one from the dealer.
First, fan speed (air velocity) and air direction can both be in AUTOMATIC mode...or you can deselect the AUTO programming and manually adjust the fan speed or air direction. Or you can have one or the other (air velocity or air direction) in AUTO while the other is in MANUAL mode.

If you want to control the blower's fan speed and you have the (AUTO) IHKA control panel...then you have to "turn off" the auto fan speed feature by manually selecting what speed you want. When you use the fan speed toggle button...you should see the word "AUTO" disappear from the fans speed display.

At this point, wherever you have the fan speed LEDs...is what air velocity will blow from the vents. If you PRESS the AUTO button and the word AUTO appears in the fan speed display...then the IHKA will select the speed necessary to keep the cabin at the temp you have set on the control panel.

In the examples below...the E38 IHKA has the fan speed in AUTO mode...because the word AUTO appears in the display...if you press the AUTO button once, the word should disappear from the display but the air direction is not...the air direction has been manually selected to send air to the windshield (defrost), dash vents, and floor vents.

e38 IHKA - fan speed in AUTO mode

And the e39 IHKA...the fan speed is in MANUAL mode (AUTO does NOT appear in the fan speed display)...and the air direction has been manually selected to send air to the windshield (defrost), dash vents, and floor vents).

e39 IHKA - fan speed in MANUAL MODE ( AUTO doesn't appear in the fan speed display)

See less See more
From the qsilver7 post, I have this IHKA control box, even down to the heated seats, only I have DSC and not ASC.

you can never have car start in off normally.
This can not possibly be true, can it?
Can it be true that I can not start my bimmer with the fan speed in the off position?
Tell me that is not true!

If it is true, then I just want the car to start with the fan in the middle position, but I really prefer the off position.

Normally it will on restart it gos to position blower was last into. When you reset it, it take two starts to get to reset speed.
Every single day I put the blower either in the off position or in the middle position, and every single time I restart, it goes back to the first dot position!

It's so frustrating because I don't know what to press to just make it start in the off position, if possible!

That's exactly what I do not want!
I just want the fan to not run when I start the bimmer.
Is that so much to ask of my BMW?

you can deselect the AUTO programming and manually adjust the fan speed or air direction.
This makes me a little confused.
All I want is to have the fan either start (and stay) in the off position, or for the fan to start (and stay) in the middle position.

Either way is fine by me as the reason I want this is to give the FSU the easiest time, but I really prefer the OFF position.
It is so simple what I want that it's killing me that I can't just start the car with the fan in the off position!

Right now, for months, the thing starts in the one dot fan speed position (which is exactly NOT what I want).

Are you saying all I need to start the car in the off position is to manually set the fan to off and turn the auto button off? (I have tried this but if you say that is the way to start in the desired position, I will try again.)
See less See more
My 2000 528i has a feature in which the car remembers several settings for a certain key when the car is locked and subsequently unlocked by that key. These settings are: Seat adjustment, radio/cd player/cassette player setting, outside mirror position, steering wheel position and heating cooling system. You can also choose if you want the key to remember when it locks/unlocks the car manually or remotely. AFAIR yu can set what settings you want the car to remember.

The real purpose of this is when there are 2 drivers for the same car, their settings will remain in memory so they will be the same when you unlock the car. So the car can change these settings back and forth but you must lock the car to have the settings remembered.

This feature is listed in the owners manual by flagging each setting that can be set by the key.

The feature must be turned on by a scan tool like Autologic, GT1, etc.
...Right now, for months, the thing starts in the one dot fan speed position (which is exactly NOT what I want).
You're stuck with the set-up above. Once the IHKA's fan speed is NOT in AUTO mode...it will perform as you wrote above in the quote (for the most part).

If you come back to the car within 15-16 minutes and the blower had been turned off...then it will remain off since the car didn't go to SLEEP. But if the car has been off for longer, and the blower is not in AUTO mode...then the blower will turn back on the lowest setting (one " . " dot).

Now, this is where some may part ways...when the system turns back on and there's only one dot that you need to turn off to shut off the blower...some see that as insignificant...others get driven up the wall. :D

I think if you have the software/hardware (like INPA or whatever the names of the aftermarket software are)...you can go into the communication bus and change this setting to where the system stays off. But again, if you truly want the system off (as it stands now) you have to press the button one time to turn the blower off.

If you don't want AUTO air control...BMW offered the manual IHKR control panel and HVAC system that had the 3 dials and bowden cables...but in the USA that was only offered as standard equipment on the 2001 525i/iT.
See less See more
Which brand of FSR are you using?

BTW, go to junk yard and pull some FSRs ($10/each) and keep them in glove box for emergency use. Even an old BMW FSR (from junk yard) is better than a brand-new aftermarket FSR.

Re: memory, I am not sure you can program it to run at medium speed. I guess you can always do it manually every morning.

Most aftermarket FSRs are inferior. Best buy the one from the dealer.
+2. My FSR was replaced under warranty around 2002 or 2003 (they were still launching newer versions of the FSR). It failed out of warranty around 2005 or 2006. I went to the dealer, got the latest and greatest version (which is still the current part number to today) and have had no further issues...it's now 8 or 9 years old and works perfectly.

There were at least 5 or 6 part numbers for the FSR between 1997 when the E39 first came out, and 2005 or so when the final revision was released.
So what happens if you turn the fan off and turn the car off, then come back and turn the car on. Does the blower come on or stay off?
Blower will come on after a shut down

To the speed it was set on EXCEPT to off position,that is way the car is designed so there is always air flow. You can then shut it off manually, but you will have to do it each time. I have never used program on key for climate or seat settings,as I am the only driver.
mjalloul11 said:
So what happens if you turn the fan off and turn the car off, then come back and turn the car on. Does the blower come on or stay off?
In the USA...our coding for the IHKA is to always be on (except for an approx 15-16 minutes if you come back to the car before it goes into sleep mode). See the quotes below because they covered what you asked in your post. :) It looks like you are in Lebanon (the country off the Mediterranean Sea?)...if so, if you have the IHKA instead of the IHKR...your coding may be different.

bummerbimmer post #5 said:
Every single day I put the blower either in the off position or in the middle position, and every single time I restart, it goes back to the first dot position!
Qsilver7 post #7 said:
If you come back to the car within 15-16 minutes and the blower had been turned off...then it will remain off since the car didn't go to SLEEP. But if the car has been off for longer, and the blower is not in AUTO mode...then the blower will turn back on the lowest setting (one " . " dot).
My 2000 528i has a feature in which the car remembers several settings for a certain key ........The feature must be turned on by a scan tool
I'm confused by that information because I only have one key, and because the IHKA unit seems to always start off in the one dot position even though when the key was pulled out the night before, the IHKA was either in the fan blower off postition or the fan blower was set to the middle speed (8 dots).

So, it doesn't seem to remember where I last set it before pulling the key out of the ignition.

Once the IHKA's fan speed is NOT in AUTO mode...
I have the IHKA in manual fan blower mode, but, if putting it in AUTO mode is what I need to make it start with the fan blower off (or in the middle position), then I would do that, if I only understood how.

I the car didn't go to SLEEP
I understand the complication of the car not having yet gone to sleep, but, for the sake of this discussion, let's assume the car was left overnight and all I want is for it to start up in the morning at the same position I left it the night before, which is with the blower off or the blower in the middle position (but preferably off).

if the car has been off for longer, and the blower is not in AUTO mode...then the blower will turn back on the lowest setting (one " . " dot).
I am not liking that answer!
It seems to be what I am experiencing.
But I can't understand why there isn't a groundswell of complaints to BMW that this is a stupid default!
when the system turns back on and there's only one dot that you need to turn off to shut off the blower...some see that as insignificant...others get driven up the wall.
Assuming that the one dot fan blower position is the worst possible for the FSU, then what I see is a needless waste of FSUs. I can turn it off (and I do), but I forget sometimes and then my FSU is taking the brunt of the heat, according to what I read from cn90.

you can go into the communication bus and change this setting to where the system stays off. But again, if you truly want the system off (as it stands now) you have to press the button one time to turn the blower off.
I'm sorry but I don't understand this.
I searched and found a really long thread on the scan tools, so I see that I can buy a cable and download them, but would you clarify what you are trying to tell me?

Are you saying that I can, with the right cable & tools, set up my bimmer so that it starts with the fan blower in the off position?

Which brand of FSR are you using?
When my first FSU went, I googled and found a long thread here which said to only buy from the dealer. So, my FSUs are always from the dealer. They're all OEM (even the rear FSU).

I am not sure you can program it to run at medium speed. I guess you can always do it manually every morning.
Every morning, when I remember, I hit the button once to turn the fan off or I hit it 7 times to turn the fan to the middle position (if I want ventilation). But, when I forget, it's dropping all that heat across the FSU, which is the thing I'm trying to prevent from happening.

There were at least 5 or 6 part numbers for the FSR between 1997 when the E39 first came out, and 2005 or so when the final revision was released.
It's my understanding from reading google that the FSU is taking the heat when the fan is in the low position and that, all by itself, will cook FSUs, whether they are dealer parts or not.

Most say get the dealer part, but tear downs don't show exactly what is going wrong with the dealer or aftermarket FSU other than obvious cracks in circuit board traces.

This is what seems to happen to me:
1. I set the fan speed to zero dots (or to the middle 8-dot position)
2. I turn the car off and let it sit overnight
3. In the morning, I turn the engine on and the fan speed automatically goes to 1 dot.

The end result seems to be that the bimmer is pre-set to start, every morning, at 1 dot fan speed, no matter what I have the fan speed manually set to when I parked the car the night before.

To the speed it was set on EXCEPT to off position,that is way the car is designed
I am not seeing the fan starting at the speed it was set at when the car was parked the night before, so you're seeing something different than what I see.

Here is what I see when I set the fan to off:
1. I set the fan speed to zero dots (the fan blower is off)
3. In the morning, I turn the engine on and the fan speed automatically goes to 1 dot.

Here is what I see when I set the fan to the middle 8-dot position:
1. I set the fan speed to the middle 8-dot position
See less See more
In the USA...our coding for the IHKA is to always be on (except for an approx 15-16 minutes if you come back to the car before it goes into sleep mode). See the quotes below because they covered what you asked in your post. :) It looks like you are in Lebanon (the country off the Mediterranean Sea?)...if so, if you have the IHKA instead of the IHKR...your coding may be different.
It is true, Lebanon on the Mediterranean Sea, but my car is German spec and if i turn the fan off it stays off, simple. But when i turn on the AC or heat the fan comes on gradually- slow for a couple of minutes and then it will stop at half mark unless i manually adjust or if i press Auto mode. It all comes to coding the unit i think and the reason why US cars go through so much FSR units.
Not sure this will work...just thinking: If you set your key (and sync key to car) to climate control off (or speed 8 or whatever), won't the climate control operate in that position if your car is unlocked with that key before starting?
Go to the junk yard and pull some FSRs.
Keep them in glove box.
This should alleviate your original concern.
Not sure this will work...just thinking: If you set your key (and sync key to car) to climate control off (or speed 8 or whatever), won't the climate control operate in that position if your car is unlocked with that key before starting?
I don't understand this stuff, and, I don't know enough to know if the car memory options control what the IKHA defaults to in the morning, but, might it be in one of these documents?
bmw_car_&_key_memory_customer_selection_form.pdf (56.2 KB)

BMW_tsb_on_programming_coding_explanations_sib090398_updated2004.pdf (50.1 KB)

bmw_e39_car_&_seat_memory_settings_attachment2_sib_b090398.pdf (99.0 KB)

EDIT: If someone who knows this stuff can look at these tables and tell us if it's there, that would be useful:

See also:
- How to optimally set up the BMW E39 IHKA air conditioning system (1) & how to set the fan blower speed to preserve your FSU (1) & an explanation of the three heating cooling blue dots (1) & how to eliminate the a/c musty gym sock odor (1) & how to remove the IHKA heater air conditioning control panel to clean the circuit board (1) & how to check the HVAC (IHKA) sampling fan (1) & how to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID (1) & how to remove (for a Hualigan) the E39 dashboard trim (1) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & how to replace or repair the IHKA button (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from °C Celcius degree to °F Fahrenheit degrees (1) & what is this thing (HVAC/IHKA solar sensor) in the middle of my dashboard by the windshield (1) & how to replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) & what cabin filter to buy (1) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) & how to measure A C temperature (1) & where to find your low pressure airconditioning recharge port (1) & how to refill your A/C system for $20 (1) & what refrigerant PAG oil to use (1) & how to diagnose A/C compressor knocking and rattling sounds (1)

Attachments

See less See more
This web site for the wide-band FSU implies the danger to the FSU is in the higher fan speeds, not the lower fan speeds:

http://www.wide-band.com/content/ap...-m5-final-stage-unit-blower-motor-resistor-ac

Attachments

This web site for the wide-band FSU implies the danger to the FSU is in the higher fan speeds, not the lower fan speeds:

http://www.wide-band.com/content/ap...-m5-final-stage-unit-blower-motor-resistor-ac
The FSU is a resistor pack, the lowest fan speed corresponds to the most energy being absorbed by the FSU.
The FSU is a resistor pack, the lowest fan speed corresponds to the most energy being absorbed by the FSU.
I'm not sure if you meant "resistor" literally, since the autopsy photos clearly show an Elmos 10901D chip and two big MOSFET-like devices:
- How to repair solder cracks in your blower motor resistor (1)

But, even so, I agree a brand new FSU can certainly get hands-burning hot in operation, as my burned fingers can attest to during my tests.

Here is interesting information, which, if true, imply that the HIGHER speeds get the FSU hotter:

- APSX WB FSU BMW E39 525 528 530 540 M5 FINAL STAGE UNIT Blower Motor Resistor AC for BMW E39 1997-2003 5 Series M52 M54 Engines

See less See more
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.