BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to find the wiring harness for the CD changer, I mistakenly pulled back the liner from the driver side of the trunk. Isn't that where the OEM alarm module plugs in? How can I tell the previous owner of my car installed an alarm? And, if it turns out that I do have an alarm, how do I go about finding and programming two keyfobs?

G

·
Sorry. Wrong. Try again.

The alarm is pre-wired but the main component you have to add needs to be added behind the glovebox not in the trunk. The good news is that the install is easy and the alarm is cheap.

Call one of the major mail-order parts dealers (Circle or Pacific) and order it. It should take you 2-3 hours to install. And no dealer activation is required. The fobs come with the alarm.

Here's a pic of my dash mid-install-

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. That must be why there's no little plastic circle marked "Pre-wired for BMW alarm system" in the trunk. :p

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
... and the good part of having an E36 for alarm purposes is that you can install a better quality/features alarm like Alpine or Clifford to that harness under the glove box without much modification and no cutting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts