Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to X5 detailing, but not detailing in general. Until I got the right wheel brush and technique, I spent more time cleaning my X5 wheels than it took me to clean my previous car!

A friend told me he bought one of those $80 high pressure cleaners to clean his wheels. But, I'm a little apprehensive about using a high pressure cleaner on a continual basis. Any thoughts from the micro fiber crowd? :dunno:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wheel cleaner

Try "P21S" (do a google on it)

Its excellent; spray on, brush with soft wheel brush and hose off. All 4 wheels clean in 10 mins.

phastphil said:
I'm new to X5 detailing, but not detailing in general. Until I got the right wheel brush and technique, I spent more time cleaning my X5 wheels than it took me to clean my previous car!

A friend told me he bought one of those $80 high pressure cleaners to clean his wheels. But, I'm a little apprehensive about using a high pressure cleaner on a continual basis. Any thoughts from the micro fiber crowd? :dunno:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Call me dumb (not too loudly) but I use the BMW cleaner and their special brushes. Most aftermarket cleaners I tried weren't as good IMHO.

A quick spray/soak with the cleaner, a few minutes of elbow grease and they come up like new when rinsed.

I found that giving the pad assembly itself a real good squirt with the hose washed out a lot of built up dust and it took longer to build up on the wheels again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First - I think I put this thread in the wrong place...should have been in the detailing forum, but since we are all here now....I'll just continue.

I use a generic brand of jell wheel cleaner from AutoGeek.com it comes in a gallon size and is a lot less expensive than BMW and P215 which I knew about. I bought a huge 16" brush from them also, which cut down my wheel cleaning time from 45min/4 wheels to about 15min/4wheels. No bad! It really isn't hard work just tidious and I sit on my 5 gal water pail to keep from hurting my back or killing my knees. Since I detail/clean my X5 almost every week, and I also do my my wifes SLK, I feel more like the car wash guy than the owner - but in reality I find it satifiying, good excercise and therapy (no LOL, and NO I won't do your car too). I have always resisted commercial car washes.

However, I was looking for first hand experience with one of these power washers. I see the dealers use them all the time, but they do it cut down on time, not results and they have hundreds of cars to do almost everyday. Don't want to do the whole car, just the wheels. I'm still a micro fiber guy using the two bucket technique.

·
Registered
193 Posts
LeMansX5 said:
Know the feeling of commercial washers.

Anybody tried the Kleen Wheel brake dust shields? http://www.kleenwheels.com/about_kleenwheels.htm

Would like to know how effective the product is. May be worth if it works.
The answer to this question seems simpler to me than the answers yet provided. I don't have any problems cleaning my wheels because I protect them with a wheel wax and then clean them regularly so that brake dust doesn't get baked on. I use 'Wheel Wax' and brake dust just washes off. Any stubborn marks such as tar spots get some extra attention from the wheel wax and they're gone. I've got five cars to keep clean and haven't the time to fight brake dust so 'prevention' seems better than 'cure'.

·
Hog Town
1,100 Posts
For me ever since I got the Axxis pads there have been virtually no brake dust at all. The difference is night and day. Simple soap and water do the trick for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've herd of too many warped brake rotors and overheating when using dust sheilds to even think about using them myself.

·
Hog Town
1,100 Posts
X5Jones said:
I've herd of too many warped brake rotors and overheating when using dust sheilds to even think about using them myself.
I'm using the Axxis Deluxe pad which is made from organic content and is totally rotor-friendly. You must be thinking about the MetalMaster pads which have a high metal content and thus are hard on rotors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
breytonX5 said:
I'm using the Axxis Deluxe pad which is made from organic content and is totally rotor-friendly. You must be thinking about the MetalMaster pads which have a high metal content and thus are hard on rotors.
Sorry, I wasn't refurring to the pads, but the shields here from an above post: http://www.kleenwheels.com/about_kleenwheels.htm
I forgot to quote the message:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couldn,t stand the dust either. Went to Hawk HPS pads which eliminated 90+% of dust and what you have is beige dust and better stopping power. Soap and water work fine.
John

·
RetiredBum
847 Posts
Cleaning wheels...sorta like "what's your fave stock this Qtr?", lol!

I spray 'em with the hose, liberally spray on Meguiar's Hot Wheels or whatever brand is on sale, let one wheel soak for 2-3 mins, wipe and scrub gently with a wool wash mitt deal using a "car wash soap" mix in warmish water, and hose off. Before all 4 wheels dry, I use an old clean stolen hotel towel to wipe down dry, gently. A quick hit of Z6 or a another occasional coat of Z2 and they are Clean and very shiny. No brushes for me. My 2cts. Now, about my hot stock picks for the next couple of Qtrs, lol!...BR,md

·
Keyser Souze lives!
257 Posts
motordavid said:
Before all 4 wheels dry, I use an old clean stolen hotel towel to wipe down dry, gently.
What chain do you find has the best towels for this purpose? :thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm partial to the Ritz Carlton....but since I haven't been there in a while, I now get MicroFiber towels at Costco....a package of at least 10 is only $10. I remember paying that for ONE! Never used Wheel Shields, stands to reason they don't let the rotors dissapate the heat.....resulting in warped rotors.

I'll try the Wheel Wax....I see AutoGeek has it. The PAD replacement would be a consideration, but worried about voiding the warranty. Are any of these aftermarket pads endorsed by BMW?

·
RetiredBum
847 Posts
Towel Picks...

Rangerfan said:
What chain do you find has the best towels for this purpose? :thumbup:
RF, That's a funny question! :rofl:

I wondered if any of the Faves would pick up on that one lil'word, :D

After 30 yrs of 150 nights/yr on the fooking road, I did, on very infrequent occasion, inadvertently misplace a towel to my suit bag. :tsk:

They range from handtowels to jumbo bath towels and all grades of quality, though the cotton content had to be 95% plus, or they were not considered.

My personal faves include any "out of the North American continent" Marriott and the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, though some cheapo Holiday Inn joints' wares have held up surprisingly well.

I have what may be a lifetime supply of m'cycle/car drying-polishing towels; thus, I have since quit that infrequent bad habit. :angel:
BR,md (going to hell in a handbasket)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts