BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
There are two categories of warning light: one is orange to indicate the engine is 'somewhat' hot, and the other is red to indicate it is dangerously hot, and it's time to pull over and wait for cooldown and/or a tow truck.

The new magnesium and aluminum sandwich block, coupled with the thermostatically controlled electric water pump, allows for extremely rapid warm up. However, it also allows for very great variation in coolant temperature. If you had an analog gauge, you might suffer a great deal of angst from observing these variations. My understanding is that the 335i, which uses the all aluminum block 3.0 liter engine, does have a temperature gauge. I'm not sure if the 335i uses the new electric water pump. Anybody know the answer??

·
Registered
614 Posts
jelliotlevy said:
There are two categories of warning light: one is orange to indicate the engine is 'somewhat' hot, and the other is red to indicate it is dangerously hot, and it's time to pull over and wait for cooldown and/or a tow truck.
And from what Mike Miller (editor of Tech Talk in the Roundel and a similar column in Bimmer magazine) says, when you see that red indicator, kill the engine NOW. Don't drive even another quarter mile before pulling over.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
328i lover said:
:dunno: i just want to no exactly how the car will tell u its overheating sinse theres no temp guage
Wow good call you notify the CEO of BMW right away.

Maybe it'll just come up on the driver information screen, then again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
whiskey.org said:
just pull over and stick your finger in the overflow tank from time to time
or ur tongue if you''re like Gene Simmons...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts