BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just test drove and ordered an 325I, overall everything seems to fall in place real nice in term of egro. However, just can't get use to how you have to cancel turn signals, spend 30 mins in the test drive, more than a few times I over pushed the stalk so instead of cancel the right signal went to left. :thumbdwn: I was out by myself and the CA said couple people went out also said something about the turn signal. Its not going to stop me from buying the car and I'm sure I will get use to it, is it a BMW thing? or just E90 has such turn signal switch?

anyway I will have a 325I black/terra/wood, auto, premium, nav, pdc ....soon :bigpimp:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I picked up my E90 in Ireland 3 weeks ago, and the turn signals take a little bit of getting used to.

To knock them off just press the stalk in the same direction as you did to knock them on (this is the opposite to what you would be used to!)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Turn signals...right/left...who knows:)

Yes, I also had the same issue.

It took me about 4-hours of drive time to develop the right sensitivity in my fingers to work the controls. Strange, but you really do get used to it. You can tell the folks that just picked up their cars. They signal right or left, then overcorrect and signal the other direction.

Don't feel bad. When Porsche game out with the 996, the blinkers were so quiet, no one knew when they were even on. I just figured it was us "oldsters" with fading hearing.
Eventually, they developed a louder signal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did the same thing on my test drive - it takes some getting used to!

·
Registered
457 Posts
this is another case of engineers having too much time on their hands. what's wrong with old fashioned turn signal? why are they forcing us to get used to a new thing that seemingly is not any better? it annoyed hell out of me during the test drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree it seemed pretty annoying.

Does it even let you do a signal that lasts as long as you apply pressure as the current model does?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
You can change the turn signal setting in the I-Drive. Either classic (stalk pushed) or 'modern' (slightly push stalk, it blinks 3x)

·
Registered
31 Posts
E90FANS said:
Just test drove and ordered an 325I, overall everything seems to fall in place real nice in term of egro. However, just can't get use to how you have to cancel turn signals, spend 30 mins in the test drive, more than a few times I over pushed the stalk so instead of cancel the right signal went to left. :thumbdwn: I was out by myself and the CA said couple people went out also said something about the turn signal. Its not going to stop me from buying the car and I'm sure I will get use to it, is it a BMW thing? or just E90 has such turn signal switch?

anyway I will have a 325I black/terra/wood, auto, premium, nav, pdc ....soon :bigpimp:
I though I was nuts during the test drive. The test drive was only like 15 mins for me. I was to busy trying to figure out the signal. BUt I ordered the car. So i wanted to know, is I couldn't get the signal to stay on. On the modern signal, I am assuming from the post that it doesn't do that? Or am I not pushing hard enough. I couldn't really figure it out within like a min and gave up on it. :dunno:

·
Registered
160 Posts
It has two "stops" on the stalk in each direction. The first is after a gentle touch, which blinks the signal three times for a lane change (which is short a couple of blinks in my opinion).

The second stop requires a bit harder push (but not any harder than I'm used to on my current car with regular signals) that leaves the signal on until a turn of the steering wheel is completed.

To cancel the second kind of signal you push the stalk in the same direction that you did to turn it on.

I was quite confused at first too but I think I am getting the hang of it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
It becomes second nature very quickly......ok....maybe a week tops. Trust me, you will get the hang of it and appreciate it.

·
Drives cars for a living!
3,935 Posts
You sure can tell who is American in this thread! EU cars have had this for a little while now. Even some of the smal cars I drove a few weeks ago while in Germany had this. Once you guys get used to it, it is really nice. But then again, I thought American BMW owners didn't used the turn signals. :dunno: Or they just don't move out of the left lane!

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
tksung said:
this is another case of engineers having too much time on their hands. what's wrong with old fashioned turn signal? why are they forcing us to get used to a new thing that seemingly is not any better? it annoyed hell out of me during the test drive.
I agree, the old fashioned turn signals work fine dont understand why make it complicated? I also experienced this during the Komen Cancer drive on the E65 7 series, for a moment i was driving with a signal on for about 2 mins. Very annoying!

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Double Vanos said:
I agree, the old fashioned turn signals work fine dont understand why make it complicated? I also experienced this during the Komen Cancer drive on the E65 7 series, for a moment i was driving with a signal on for about 2 mins. Very annoying!
:stupid:

Both on the 7series and the new E90 I was baffled for a while. Sure it's easy to get used to - but again WHY!?!? I'm surprised you don't have to use I-drive to turn on your signals. OH NO!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Armen52 said:
It has two "stops" on the stalk in each direction. The first is after a gentle touch, which blinks the signal three times for a lane change (which is short a couple of blinks in my opinion).

The second stop requires a bit harder push (but not any harder than I'm used to on my current car with regular signals) that leaves the signal on until a turn of the steering wheel is completed.

To cancel the second kind of signal you push the stalk in the same direction that you did to turn it on.

Ok maybe i was just scared to push it hard enough. On my current car (acura cl) it extremely light tap to get it to stay.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Armen52 said:

It's similar to the operation of "one-touch" power window controls as someone on another thread pointed out. It makes a lot of sense when you think of it that way. They are adding another feature to an existing control. Imagine if when they first introduced "one-touch" windows, you had to tap the passenger window switch to stop the drivers door window midway - that's what everyone who doesn't like the new turn signal operation seems to be advocating. :tsk:

I can understand if people are complaining about the introduction of the one-touch = 3 blinks feature, but you cannot rationally argue with the WAY it was implemented! How else would you do it? :dunno:

·
---------
459 Posts
I think 3 blinks is quite unpractical. When I want to change a lane on a freeway many times I don't know how long it will take. There are cars going from behind so many times it takes a while just watching the mirror.

I think it would make much more sense if the light-tap turned on blinking which would be more sensitive for the steering wheel movement (20-30 degrees) than regular tap, which would expect a turn of 60-90 degrees after it turns off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can actually cancel the blinker by doing a light tap in either direction. It doesn't matter if it is the same or oposite of the original signal.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
virtualrain said:
Imagine if when they first introduced "one-touch" windows, you had to tap the passenger window switch to stop the drivers door window midway - that's what everyone who doesn't like the new turn signal operation seems to be advocating.
That's a terrible analogy. On a normal turn signal, the signal sits in the middle in a neutral position. If you push the signal down (to the left), the left blinker goes on. To canel the left blinker you pull up on the stalk to return it to the neutral position. You don't pull it up to the right all the way. On the new 3er, the stalk is ALWAYS in the neutral position, so you can't pull it to return to the off position. This is why people are frustrated.

You're window switch analogy would be more like this. To open the window, you push the switch down, and it stays down. To stop the window from going down, you'd lift up back to the neutral position. At least with the windows, they added the second level in order to have one-touch auto down, and one-touch auto up - a nice added benefit. In the case of the turn signals, there's not really much added benefit - it's just a new way of doing it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts