1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
you can have it painted. lots of people have done it.

btw, you'll get lots of people here who will tell you black moldings look better, i'm not one of them. it looks cheap to me. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
you can have them painted...but one word of advice, when pulling the black trim off you can sometimes risk damaging them so they don't fit quite as well as they used to...you are better off buying a new set of moldings having those painted and installed...

·
Registered
552 Posts
i wanted to get mine painted as well..will my dealer do this? or can i buy a new set from them and have them paint it? because they can get it the exact same color

·
10,856 Posts
Painted plastic moldings look lame.

More to the point, I've yet to see a paint job that didn't look cheap up close.

·
Registered
552 Posts
but we dont have the cars exact color paint that the dealers do, and ive heard that once you remove the strips its very very hard to get it put on the way it was

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Matthew330Ci said:
btw, you'll get lots of people here who will tell you black moldings look better
:wave:

At least on my car they do. They are a super compliment to the high gloss shadowline trim, especially when you keep the trim and tires looking sharp. The black moldings give the Imola red colored sedan and its 4 doors a sense of proportion and definition. Otherwise it winds up looking like one big monotone colored blob.

Just my 2 Pfennigs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I agree with IndyMike with the contrast the trim gives. The e90 looks just a little off without the black strip.

Every painted strip I've seen hasn't looked very nice. I have yet to see a strip that hasn't looked darker than the color it's supposed to be. That is, the black still comes through especially on white cars.

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
all you guys are talking about the moldings that were painted afterwards right?

also, i've said this many times but if contrast is such a good thing, why don't black sedan owners paint their moldings white? :p

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
0BMW0323i said:
I want to know how to get rid of that ugly black body-side molding (or change the color to silver, in my case) on my car. I heard you can't paint over it because its plastic and will just chip off, so how does this guy in the picture (if you go to the link) get this look? Has anyone done it, if so please tell me how! Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7972821729&category=36475
One of the reasons I bought Jet Black. You don't notice the molding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.