BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the break-in period (so far only 400 miles on the clock) so I'm wondering if it's recommended to change the oil after the break-in is completed. I know we used to do that years ago.

Also, since there's no dipstick, how do you tell if your oil is low? Is there an area on the iDrive where you can access your oil level? Not having a dipstick makes me a little nervous about what's going on in the engine.

So, the question is, did you change your oil after the break-in period? And how do you monitor your oil level?

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Some people change their oil after break in (I did after ~2,500 miles). Some don't.

There must be a way to check the oil level on I-drive if I can do it on my steering stalk.

gl

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,483 Posts
Owner's manual, owner's manual, owner's manual ... it's in there.

Maybe the forum feels easier, maybe you'd rather not bother, maybe it's any one of a dozen reasons we've heard before...I understand. But in all seriousness, you owe it to yourself to read the manual, cover-to-cover, at least once. These are phenomenally complex, feature-laden cars and if you really want to take full advantage of all this technology you paid for, start at the source.

To check the oil level, press the iDrive Menu key, select Vehicle Info then Vehicle status. Scroll to the oil can icon and click. The engine has to be running and the car needs to have been driven enough to warm the oil before it will show a measurement. You can also check it using the BC control stalk: Turn the lever wheel up or down repeatedly until OIL appears in the display, then press the BC button. Same test conditions apply.

And I'm really not trying to be snarky about the manual. The thing is, although we will happily answer questions, I promise you: There is more stuff in there than you may even think to ask about!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zeichen -

Thanks for the info. I have read the manual, but there was so much to read that I obviously didn't retain it all. I was just wondering today what that little button on the cruise control stalk was that you could flip up or down. Now I know, thanks to your reply. I agree that the manual is the best source of into (since sometimes everything one reads on here isn't totally accurate). But it is handy to have the help of other owners for a quick answer. Point taken.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bayoucity -

You think that's shocking? I just learned last night that Humphrey Bogart's son and I were born on the same day, the same year.

·
6,483 Posts
I have read the manual, but there was so much to read that I obviously didn't retain it all.
Good for you! :thumbup: Definitely go back and revisit it from time to time, as you become familiar with the car. There's way too much information to retain it all in one go--it gets much easier when you're going back to fill in the blanks on the features you use most.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What ! You don't have a dip stick? This is shocking. :D
Bah! Luddites and plebeians monitor oil by viewing marks on a piece of metal. Modern, sophisticated people, as Zeichen311 said, "...press the iDrive Menu key, select Vehicle Info then Vehicle status. Scroll to the oil can icon and click. The engine has to be running and the car needs to have been driven enough to warm the oil before it will show a measurement. You can also check it using the BC control stalk: Turn the lever wheel up or down repeatedly until OIL appears in the display, then press the BC button. Same test conditions apply."

Much easier.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great. No dipstick but two alternate methods for checking. I love technology. It's amazing they can do so much with just ones and zeros.

·
6,483 Posts
Bah! Luddites and plebeians monitor oil by viewing marks on a piece of metal. Modern, sophisticated people, ....
:rofl: That's just what we tell the new guys, so they can walk before they run. True modern sophisticates merely press the voice command button and say, "Vehicle status."

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zeichen -

I didn't see Azurite Black metallic as a color choice when I was at the dealership. Is that a special order color?

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
I am definitely old school. Currently I have close to 10,000 miles. I changed the oil & oil filter at 1000 and 7500 miles. :)
I did as well. If you bought (not leased) your car and plan to keep it for the long haul, it's probably worth it to pay for a few extra oil changes.

·
6,483 Posts
Zeichen -

I didn't see Azurite Black metallic as a color choice when I was at the dealership. Is that a special order color?
Yes indeed. :thumbup:

Oh, as for that first oil change: 7500mi for me. I went 'round and 'round on whether to do a break-in change at 1200-ish like the M cars, and had plenty of time to mull it over--it was on the boat at that mileage. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the bother...hadn't done it on my last one either and that was still purring at over 200k.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Bah! Luddites and plebeians monitor oil by viewing marks on a piece of metal. Modern, sophisticated people, as Zeichen311 said, "...press the iDrive Menu key, select Vehicle Info then Vehicle status. Scroll to the oil can icon and click. The engine has to be running and the car needs to have been driven enough to warm the oil before it will show a measurement. You can also check it using the BC control stalk: Turn the lever wheel up or down repeatedly until OIL appears in the display, then press the BC button. Same test conditions apply."
Wait....is there a voice command for that?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
My three years of experience without a dip stick was uneventful and I was always dutifully "notified" if I was a litre low. I've stopped worrying about it and just enjoy driving the car now. :thumbup: I keep one of these in the trunk...velcro attachment, includes glove (available from your dealer):

If I need to change the oil on my new E90, I'm sure someone will tell me so...and when, otherwise life's too short to worry about motor oil so much!

·
Mace
817 Posts
Just in case it's not clear to the OP oil changes are not covered under the free maintenance program unless one is called for by the car's condition based service monitor. Except for the M3, the system will not call for a change until about 15,000 miles. (The M3 will call for an initial change at 1,200 miles). Any additional oil changes will have to be paid out of pocket and, with the price of synthetic, it isn't cheap. Not advocating one way or the other, just mentioning it so the OP doesn't get surprised.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.