BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just considering the fact that BMW seems to lack in a/c systems. I'm not sure if it's just my car, but I have a tough time during the summer keeping cool, especially with the black ette. Ive noticed the same on my uncle's old 735i, and with the most loaners I have noticed. Compared with my parent's LX 470, that car is a refrigerator. Am I the only one who feels this way? I haven't tried a manual unit on a BMW:dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The A/C in new BMWs is very good, the units in older models sucked hard. Ever have to get in the back seat of an '84 533 in TX summers after the car has been sitting in an parking lot for hours :eek: :eek:

Lexus A/Cs are fantastic though :)

·
O.G.
8,376 Posts
I have black 'ette, and during the 100+ degree day we had in March I had absolutely no problem keeping cool. I kept the temp on 69 degrees, adjusted the center controls to even cooler, and it was great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mines Noisy!

My A/C seems to work OK, but the fan is noisy. In 'auto' mode (if you can call it that) I need to set it to around 67 deg before it seems comfortable. The fan is blowing at around 3/4 speed, and a little loud. If I manually set it to top speed, you can barely hold a conversation.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Mine's OK. In 'extreme' conditions I wish I had a fully manual system that I can just slam on full cold/hot and full blast, though, instead of fighting with the damn buttons.

As for the AC temp, its not as cold as my last car (US-made Mitsubishi) or ANY GM AC (the BEST; the rest of the car could be falling apart but the AC will be as cold as hell frozen over) I've ever used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was just reading consumer reports and they gave the climate control on the 3 series very high remarks.

As for me, I think it's pretty good. I just hate that damn smell.....

ad

G

·
I have never had any problems with the AC performance in terms of being cold enough. But I hate their auto CC interfaces and how they act "smart". Granted, this is one area where the E46 is better than the E36 as the E46, thankfully, only had one zone. Two zones (as on the E36) is just silly on a car this small. Hell, it's even silly on a 5-series, IMO. But, overall, the old E30 era dials and sliders were much more effective in controlling the climate. I especially hate how the windshield defrost/defog defaults to full-blast hot.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
my car is only a week old now, but the ac in that thing is awesome, it was 95 the other day, and when it was in auto, it did have a hard time getting to where you placed it, but if you put it in normal ac mode that thing almost froze me to the steering wheel, and that was about 3/4 on not full air pressure, i like the ac on mine.... 330 ci sp,pp,bx,step

·
Not topless in NE
1,031 Posts
KP said:

Dammit Tim, you're the one who complains about snow all the time:lmao: , what are you complaining about?:p Good to see you hear btw:)
I think that you mean TiminMN but I'm not very fond of it myself. I have has issues with the heat being too hot a couple of times. I know there is an issue with the fan going crazy at times (Resistor Control Array... something like that) but that wasn't the problem that I was having. Damn heat wouldn't stop even though temp inside of car was quite warm. I had to put the windows down just to cool off the car (on a 10F day):tsk:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tim330Cic said:

I think that you mean TiminMN but I'm not very fond of it myself. I have has issues with the heat being too hot a couple of times. I know there is an issue with the fan going crazy at times (Resistor Control Array... something like that) but that wasn't the problem that I was having. Damn heat wouldn't stop even though temp inside of car was quite warm. I had to put the windows down just to cool off the car (on a 10F day):tsk:
:confused: no I meant you Tim. MA is cold too.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I'm honestly considering retrofitting the manual controls. The auto system is really starting to piss me off. I never feel like I am in control on the system. Kinda like auto vs. manual transmissions, I don't feel like the system is ever doing what I want it to. :tsk:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.