Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a few users saying that they burn a liter of oil every *blank* miles. How do you know if your oil is low if there is no dip stick? Everytime I check my engine level it says "engine oil level OK" and shows that green bar saying max and min. I'm due for an oil change and that green bar is still the same.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
If your oil level display doesn't move down from MAX, you're dong very good on oil consumption. I have a 535i, and at 55k miles my display goes all the way down to MIN by the time I'm ready for an 8k mile oil change. It used to go down to 1/4 of the way from MIN to MAX.

I do my own oil changes and measure the volume of the oil I drain out. I had to appropriate a 4000ml plastic beaker to do this. The last time it was down to MIN, I drained ~5650mi out from the 6500ml I put in. When what I drain out falls below 5500ml, I'll start pouring the last half-liter still in the bottle in after about 5k miles of my 8k mile oil change intervals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My system says I need to do a oil change in 1800 miles. I was going to do it at 2000miles but I just can't find the time. Worried it's already to dirty. I was doing 31 miles a gallon a just 2 months back I'm down to doing 28miles a gallon. Don't know if not changing the oil is the reason or if my driving habits have changed.

The photo below is normal looking? And if it's low on oil that green bar goes lower ?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
My system says I need to do a oil change in 1800 miles. I was going to do it at 2000miles but I just can't find the time. Worried it's already to dirty. I was doing 31 miles a gallon a just 2 months back I'm down to doing 28miles a gallon. Don't know if not changing the oil is the reason or if my driving habits have changed.

The photo below is normal looking? And if it's low on oil that green bar goes lower ?
Yep. My green bar now goes down to MIN before an oil change. A lot of people don't trust the 10k or 11k mile BMW oil change intervals. I have/had three cars with spotless engines after 8k mile oil changes. So, I'm sticking with that.

Cold weather warm-up and maybe lower tire pressures from lower temperatures could explain the lower MPG. Your low tire pressure alarm will not come on until the pressure is about 20% below what it's supposed to be. Tire pressure goes up or down about one PSI for every ten degrees F change in ambient air temperature.

Where I live summer AC running and tourist traffic lower MPG then, too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Can't be the tires I just got brand new ones and check the psi often for correct psi level. But huh now that you mention it these new tires could be why haha. Been using the heater a bit too.
Didn't know that could affect gas milage

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Can't be the tires I just got brand new ones and check the psi often for correct psi level. But huh now that you mention it these new tires could be why haha. Been using the heater a bit too.
Didn't know that could affect gas milage
Make sure the new tires are the right size. Tire shops can't stock every tire for every car that comes in. So, they sometimes cheat a little and put on what they have rather than what the car's supposed to have.

On many cars, the defroster also turns on the AC compressor without the AC light illuminating. I drove 600 miles once on a road trip in January with my AC compressor on and me not knowing it. I figured it out when my Chevy pick-up got lower highway MPG than normal for the winter.

It's important to check the tire pressure when the car is completely cold and before sunlight hits the tires in the morning. Tires will heat up about 30 degrees F when driving.

The F10's engine compartment is so hot and so tightly sealed up that there is still heat coming out from the engine compartment twelve hours after it's parked. This will heat the front tires. I've started opening my hood (in the garage) the night before I check my car's tire pressures.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
826 Posts
In Europe we do Oil and Filter Changes every ~20,000 Miles = 30,000 KM’s or one year, whichever occurs first. iDrive will adjust this a bit depending on type of operation City / Highway...

I think in USA folks just have embraced due in the earlier days the recommended shorter intervals and feel it’s the best way even now with more cleaner burning engines...

At over $25 a quart here in Germany for the BMW Long Life Gold Plated Oil I stick with 20,000 miles no problem... I don’t see any issues here with the higher intervals. But if it makes you feel better why not, many in USA complain about high operating costs but with Oil changes it seems to not matter.

My Car uses about 1/2 quart every 20,000 miles which is perfect as that relates to about one year of driving and Oil change due, never had to add one drop, now at 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
If your oil level display doesn't move down from MAX, you're dong very good on oil consumption. I have a 535i, and at 55k miles my display goes all the way down to MIN by the time I'm ready for an 8k mile oil change. It used to go down to 1/4 of the way from MIN to MAX....
Wow!! Neither of my 535i's show any loss between oil changes. I go by BMW's mileage or yearly, which ever comes first. I'm having the coolant and brake fluid flushed now and figured she's driven around 5K miles in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Wow!! Neither of my 535i's show any loss between oil changes. I go by BMW's mileage or yearly, which ever comes first. I'm having the coolant and brake fluid flushed now and figured she's driven around 5K miles in the last 2 years.
So, you're changing the oil around 2500 miles? Yeah, it's conceivable to go that long and not have the indicator move off of MAX. I don't put too much faith in the indicator. It says whatever BMW wants it to say. My owner's manual say when its at MIN, ad one liter or quart. That's not the same as saying that the difference between MIN and MAX is one liter. Also, the accuracy of the electronic measurement degrades with age and miles. My first BMW had an electronic low oil warning and a dipstick. When it was old (100k miles, ten years) it would give a low oil warning when it was just a half-liter below MAX on the dipstick.

The service manager at the BMW dealership I deal with says that typical oil consumption for an N55 is around one liter every 10k miles, and that the low oil warning often comes up right before an oil change is due.

They make a point of making sure those under free maintenance get an oil top off quickly when they come in. The service writer does an oil measurement in the service lane, tops them off, and they're on their way in five minutes. By the time the customer goes into the service waiting area and gets coffee and a Dainish, his or her car is ready to go.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
So, you're changing the oil around 2500 miles? Yeah, it's conceivable to go that long and not have the indicator move off of MAX. I don't put too much faith in the indicator. It says whatever BMW wants it to say. My owner's manual say when its at MIN, ad one liter or quart. That's not the same as saying that the difference between MIN and MAX is one liter. Also, the accuracy of the electronic measurement degrades with age and miles. My first BMW had an electronic low oil warning and a dipstick. When it was old (100k miles, ten years) it would give a low oil warning when it was just a half-liter below MAX on the dipstick.

The service manager at the BMW dealership I deal with says that typical oil consumption for an N55 is around one liter every 10k miles, and that the low oil warning often comes up right before an oil change is due.

They make a point of making sure those under free maintenance get an oil top off quickly when they come in. The service writer does an oil measurement in the service lane, tops them off, and they're on their way in five minutes. By the time the customer goes into the service waiting area and gets coffee and a Dainish, his or her car is ready to go.
No. It was my car before it was hers and I put about 40K miles on it in a couple of years (now has about 87Kish miles). It never showed low, even with the recommended 13Kish interval. I really don't expect her to burn any oil as little as she drives. I've put 22Kish miles on my (new to me) 535 with BMW's interval and it also doesn't show usage (47Kish miles).

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
No. It was my car before it was hers and I put about 40K miles on it in a couple of years (now has about 87Kish miles). It never showed low, even with the recommended 13Kish interval. I really don't expect her to burn any oil as little as she drives. I've put 22Kish miles on my (new to me) 535 with BMW's interval and it also doesn't show usage (47Kish miles).
Define "showed low." Does that mean the indicator never went below MAX, or that it never went below MIN, or never gave you a LOW OIL warning?

The closest thing I ever had to a car that burned no oil is my (naturally aspirated) Cobalt SS. But, at 119k miles it's now burning about 800ml through every 8k mile oil change interval.

Frau Putzer brought a 1997 Honda Civic to the marriage. I needed to add oil in between the 7500 miles oil changes. I blame that on her using conventional oil in it for the first 25k miles of city driving.

I worked in the courier office of a bank when I was in college back in the 1980's. They had about 15 Fords: 5.0 liter V8 vans, and 3.8 liter V6 station wagons. They all burned a quart of oil every 2k miles.

My parents got a 1985 Ford with a low-output 5.0 liter V8, 140 h.p. I put Mobil 1 in it at about 1500 miles. It burned a quart every 2300 miles, up to about 10k miles. It then burned a quart every 2800 miles. It took that long for the piston rings to finally seat. I got the car as a hand-me-down at 70k miles. As an experiment, I put in a bottle of Slick50. That took the oil consumption down to about one quart every 3500 miles, and I stayed there until I sold the car at 100k miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In my experience the oil level monitor is very inaccurate. It either shows full or low. Nothing in between. I usually keep A spare quart in the trunk for emergency. 2012 528i burns about 1 quart every 7-8k. I run for a full 15k or whenever idrive tells me to change. Also not using BMW LL oil. I use whatever synthetic I find on sale. Last change was Pennzoil platinum. This change is Mobil 1 5w30

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Define "showed low." Does that mean the indicator never went below MAX, or that it never went below MIN, or never gave you a LOW OIL warning?...
The indicator never dips below MAX and never got a LOW OIL warning.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
At only 118k miles on my 2014 535dx, it uses practically no oil between (conservative) 10k mile oil changes. I don't add any oil between changes.

I know my car burns "oil" all the time because it's a diesel. :)

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts