BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of parting out my car. I have the interior taken off and now I am working on the front end. I have the valve covers and upper timing case off. I have the radiator disconnected from the motor already. However, I am not being able to take off the fan/fan clutch at all. I am looking at all the DIYs write ups and videos and I guess I am missing something completely obvious. I understand that it is a left hand thread so I am turning it clockwise to losen the bolt. However the whole assembly just spins. How do I separate the fan from the clutch or the fan clutch from the water pump, etc.

Also, I want to take the heads off the car. Do the sprockets have to come off or can i have the whole assembly with the cams still in (I dont have springs to hold the lifters in and I dont want to risk the cams being stressed/broken while taking them off separately). How do I remove the chains from the sprokets? Obviously by now the passenger side tensioner is taken out along with the upper timing case and that gives some slack but do the internal tensioner or the guides have to come out in order to take the chain? Are there any tricks to getting the heads off? Any tricks to getting the headers off?

And lastly, there seems to be a lot of interest in the suspension bits. Is there a way to tow the car away after the suspension bits are taken off? If so, which pieces can I get off and still have the car rollable. Or is that a lost cause?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I am not going to put in $36 to take apart something that I will probably sell for less. There are ways to take it off without special tools. My problem isnt getting something to latch on and turn the bolt. My problem is the whole thing is spinning when I turn it. I am missing the procedure of how to hold the fan/clutch in place while turning the bolt so that I can loosen it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So I am in the process of parting out my car. I have the interior taken off and now I am working on the front end. I have the valve covers and upper timing case off. I have the radiator disconnected from the motor already. However, I am not being able to take off the fan/fan clutch at all. I am looking at all the DIYs write ups and videos and I guess I am missing something completely obvious. I understand that it is a left hand thread so I am turning it clockwise to losen the bolt. However the whole assembly just spins. How do I separate the fan from the clutch or the fan clutch from the water pump, etc.

Also, I want to take the heads off the car. Do the sprockets have to come off or can i have the whole assembly with the cams still in (I dont have springs to hold the lifters in and I dont want to risk the cams being stressed/broken while taking them off separately). How do I remove the chains from the sprokets? Obviously by now the passenger side tensioner is taken out along with the upper timing case and that gives some slack but do the internal tensioner or the guides have to come out in order to take the chain? Are there any tricks to getting the heads off? Any tricks to getting the headers off?

And lastly, there seems to be a lot of interest in the suspension bits. Is there a way to tow the car away after the suspension bits are taken off? If so, which pieces can I get off and still have the car rollable. Or is that a lost cause?
Long screwdriver works all the time

Attachments

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
There are many ways to remove the fan clutch, most of which are described in detail here:
- How to remove the fan clutch nut with and without counterhold tools (1)

As for parting out your car, I always wondered if that was feasible.

How does one sell the parts?
Do people come to the vehicle like they do a salvage yard?
Or do you just advertise on Craigslist or Ebay or whatever?
How do you set up payment if it's done via the web?

Just curious.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bluebee, I have yet to figure out for myself if parting out is feasible or not. I haven't started to sell my parts yet. So far I am just in the disassembly process. My car covered for liability only and when I got into an accident it was a total loss so any money back is a plus. Also, I bought another e39 so at the least I'll have spare parts for other one. I have a friend who crashed his camaro recently and we parted that out and he was able to get a LOT back.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
My car covered for liability only and when I got into an accident it was a total loss so any money back is a plus.
I doubt many of us have collision on our vehicles at this point, as the math is obvious that any appreciable accident totals the car.

In the past, I gave away my Lexus and I gave away my 300Z before that, so, I've never sold a car in my life to anyone.

I always wondered though how much fun it would be to take the car apart.

Then, with all the spare parts, if selling them could be done easily, one could just sell them (but the real fun would be taking the car apart, piece by piece). The selling just pays for the fun.

However, I'd never want folks coming over to my house to check it out - so it would have to all be done with pictures on the net somehow. And payment and shipping would be an issue, of course.

So that is why I asked.

EDIT: I opened a separate thread on the topic, so that folks like you and me can find out from others how to make money having fun:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Would it be worth it to part out a totaled E39 (Have you ever parted a car out? How?)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I dont trust people coming to my house to check out the parts either. I plan on making a online picture album somewhere and post pictures of all the parts with their part numbers and go from there. Parting out the car is actually really fun. I have a decent amount of space in my house to store away all the parts that I am taking off and I am willing to wait a while for all the parts to sell.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So onto the other questions. I am still having a hard time taking the heads off. I downloaded the TIS pdf from: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697011 thread but where it says how to take the chains off the sprockets, how do you losen the fasteners? Also, do you need to losen the tensioners on the cams to take the head assembly off with the cams and sprocket still in place? Are there any tricks in taking the exhaust headers off?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts